IGNORED

So I just got a NAS

So I just got a Buffalo Linkstation Duo 2 2TB NAS. I am in the process of transferring all of my collection of flac files over to the NAS. So here is my issue, now that I have all the extra storage I am ready to convert my collection over to aiff.

My setup is a mac mini and a mac book with the nas. I do not have enough storage on either of these 2 computers to actually convert all of the collection at once, so ideally I would like to convert the files while they are located on the nas, from my mac mini. Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks,

tmesselt

Most, if not all, conversion software will ask you for, or let you select, a destination for the converted files. If you make the destination your NAS drive then you can convert and transfer all in one go.

I have a similar setup with a pc and a drobo. I dropped all my flacs in first and then converted to wav on the drobo then erased the flacs on the drobo. No issue except one. My Monti Alexander 24/94 title #7 had a write issue. Turns out the flac files was bad. I had a backup on a smaller portable drive and it was bad as well. The problem was with the download and not the transfer. Its just not very fun work I might add:)

good luck

vortecjr

So I did a trial run converting the files flac -> aiff while they are on the nas.

Using XLD I ran one directory (Just one album), and it seemed to work fine.

Then I loaded a directory that had 5 sub directories containing 5 albums, and it is just stuck at the progress meter, with no results. (Its been over 10 minutes that Ive let this sit here now.)

tmesselt

*UPDATE*

So, MAX has no problem loading all of them and processing them, but its going to take days to do this all. Its looking around 1 minutes give or take a few seconds for the tracks I have been seeing so far, is this what I should be expecting? I am thinking I need a gigabit switch?

*UPDATE 2*

So I realized my airport was still turned on my mac mini and so I was still connected to my router via 802.11g not the ethernet jack (100baset), after fixing this problem I am now down to about 10-15 seconds per track to convert it seems like.

This is great, I am stoked to get back to itunes, and finally be able to use the iphone remote app!

is pretty cool because one can connect via usb and firewire and network. I use the usb via a laptop to download and my music server sees the nas as shared drive on my home network. So it fast for moving files and slow (but still fine) for streaming.

regards

JR

Has anyone that has done large amount of flies been successful with transferring flac => aiff?

I tried to do around 700 albums in max several times and the program shut down every time. I decided to go with about 100 albums at a time, but just looking for feedback, as I have somewhere around 1200 albums to go through, I would like to do this in as few of runs as possible.

Okay so I'm going to probably be shot down in flames here ... but have you tried using iTunes to convert to AIFF and compared the quality to MAX or XLD?

If using iTunes, assuming you still have your music on your laptop, just change the library location to your new NAS, change the import properties to AIFF then you can right click on a file an choose convert to AIFF.

If you need a little assistance, then I suggest you search on http://dougscripts.com for QuickConvert. Then create a SmartPlaylist that selects your ALAC files, and the QuickConvert script will convert to a format of your choice and remove the original file from your library and delete from your disc if you choose too.

That way if they process is interrupted, you have a list of files not yet converted. I've found it keeps all tags and art, etc.

Just another method

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Sorry ... I really should read what people write :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.