IGNORED

New high rez offerings

I don't know how many of you have seen the CES coverage by the Absolute Sound. We are an outlet for the magazine so we usually get our copies a few days early. It only got a brief mention in the coverage but there is a sidebar that talks about it.

"It" is a new offering from "Professor" Keith Johnson, a fairly brilliant guy who came up with HDCD, which I always thought was underappreciated, is a partner in Spectral electronics, an owner and recording enginer for Reference Recordings and a number of other noteworthy endeavors. He is promoting a new system for hi rez recordings. He makes the point that for many years most digital recordings have been done at 24/88.2 or 24/176.4 and are dumbed down for CD. I'm sorry that I don't have the article in front of me to tell you what they are calling the process but it basically involves painstakingly taking the original studio master and transferring it to a DVD-R - he says the downloads are too big to be practical. You rip the DVD-R to your hard drive and, according to Keith, you end up with an exact bit for bit copy with no losses of the original master.

Keith's recordings have always been some of the finest. This could be very, very nice stuff. He is using a PC to demo it with a high end sound card and running into a 5K DAC. I'm sorry I don't have the specifics at hand, but it is worth tracking down and checking out.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Hi Gordon - Any idea why much of the industry is fixated on 24/96 & 24/192 instead of 24/88.2 & 24/176.4?

Maybe it is one of those consumer things where people just like the higher numbers :-|

I am supposed to be receiving a sample of this new HRx format that Rick is talking about above. I can't wait.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png