IGNORED

seeking to make a track morally correct

Chris, the initial post in this thread originally appeared with title about removing swearing (that's how it appeared in the topic listing). someone wants to see if there might be a SW equivalent of a 5-sec-delay mute, that's OK

modification of title to the current "morally correct" version, and inclusion of a religious salutation, seems somewhat inappropriate content.

would you pls consider locking / removing the thread and informing the poster.

Hi emmodad,

I'm not sure what you are asking Chris here? Are you concerned that a thread title has been changed? Are you concerned that praer4life uses a wish of blessings as his sign-off for those that read his post? Is it both things that you are concerned about?

Having had occasion to exchange forum posts with this poster before, I know that they have a collection of older MP3's that they wish to improve the 'sound' of. What needs to be done to their collection of audio in order to modify its character (make it sound better) would necessitate listening to the audio over and over again, one equalization step after another. Apparently now, praer4life has found that there are words objectionable to him in some of the audio he is working on.

I did not see the thread here appear at the point that the timestamp shows so cannot testify that it was not changed. Maybe it was changed, but I don't think that to be of great importance. I could be wrong there, because I have no idea what the original title might have been. - I've modified titles of posts that I have put up here before. I changed one yesterday when I saw after the fact, that I had misspelled a word. While I did annotate the post with an explanation of that action by adding the word "EDIT" and a short explanation, I wouldn't expect everyone to have the wherewithal to know to do that; We aren't professional journalists here (not the majority anyway), and we aren't doing this for pay of any kind. We chose to be here, or not.....

Assuming that there were no personal attacks in the 'original' thread title, that leaves only one thing that might be considered 'somewhat inappropriate' in the OP's post. The salutation as you call it, is a signature line that they have used since first posting here. I for one, do not find it inappropriate. Not at all. It makes me feel a little uncomfortable that I do not have the strength of commitment to my beliefs that praer4life has to put such a worthy thing in my signature line and leave it there. But maybe that is not important for me to do. I do not find anything about any part of his post objectionable. I will admit that I have not exactly been in the statistical majority in my opinions over the course of my life, but I really don't see what you are getting at here. Could you be more clear about it?

Respectfully,

markr

The only thing you ever know, is that you NEVER know. - me. just now...

OOPS! EDIT: badly worded sentence.....

I respect your words and your opinion expressed above Markr. Thank you for taking the time to share this.

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

There is a very interesting software from Munich/Germany called Melodyne 2.0 which is able to

splitt different tones and instruments and probably voices from the track. The software is wellknown

by sound engineers (See Norah Jones, Ice Cube and so on).

Try under www.celemony.com to inform you about it !

Adam

Hi Adam,

Melodyne is an interesting program. I have seen it used for pitch and time (or tempo) shifting before, so I wasn't sure if it would be good for removal of segments of audio. I'm still not sure it would work for this. It appears that the author of the software intends that it be used mostly on single tracks before they are grouped and finalized (mixed) and not so much for mixes of music (like a finished song in two track stereo). He does say to go ahead and try it for that, but so would I if I were charging more than $300 for it! Nothing against the author or the program. I've heard it work very well for some things.

I did a bit of homework on this program and found a 14 minute video on the sight that explains quite graphically what the program will do, but of course 14 minutes doesn't give enough time to explain every aspect of the program's capabilities. This video is for the newest version of the program, the one that includes "DNA" (Direct Note Access). VERY cool stuff here!

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna_interview&L=0

Regards,

markr

I called the tech support team at Cakewalk (music editing software by Roland) and received some interesting feedback. When I asked if their software can remove expletives from songs, the first reaction was, ”Yes, no problem…it’s an easy process.” Tech support explained that Cakewalk software has editing tools to fade-out and delete lyrics in a given track.

However, after further discussion, tech support made it clear that fading out or deleting words will affect all layers of the track. Cutting out the word(s) is essentially removing a thin slice of the track. Cakewalk is not aware of any software that is capable of isolating the exact frequencies of specific words from similar frequencies in other layers of the track (such as instruments and background vocals).

If you have the original multi-track recording, Cakewalk thinks that editing specific words is possible.

Link to Cakewalk:

http://www.cakewalk.com/About/default.asp

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

.... when you have for example 24 individual tracks of information (bass, drums, guitar, strings, piano, voice, etc.) all spread out in individual tracks, this is very easy to do. You just work on the one track that has the part you want to edit and delete that portion - all other tracks are unaffected because you did not touch them. You will get a dropout of the vocal where you snip an undesired word out, but the rest of the music would be fine. You could even insert a beep into the gap left by the deleted word - or something more creative.... Praer4life doesn't have that luxury though, so his task is much more difficult: to cut out a word in an audio file that is mixed down will effect all the other other sounds that are going on at that point in time. This is pretty much covered in the link I sent in my first response to this question. I sure wouldn't want to have to mess with this.

markr

Well ... I wouldn't say "ALL" the good music.

I did somewhat like your sentiment here, find myself pondering the question of: Why would I want to keep a song - even if I had edited something out of it - as something I loved, if something in it originally had offended me? I mean if it offended me in the first place, wouldn't I want to just forget it and dispose of it? Why keep something that did that to my sensibilities, even if the part in question is edited out, wouldn't I always know that it had been there originally?

Well...... I don't know what it is that praer4life is trying to edit. Maybe it is a live recording and someone in the audience is being profane...

I dunno.

markr

Hi markr,

as I understood, the new version (pro) for 699$ could splitt finished (mixed) stereo music to different instruments

or melodic lines. It should be something for the musicians and sound engineers like "Adobe Photoshop for Music".

Anyway, I have no experiences with this stuff at all and if Peter Gabriel found this software good, I believe him...

The question could be, did he use this program to remove or to add his voice ? ;)

But I agree , very cool thing !

Adam

djlobsterdust.com is a good place to look to see what's possible. Or google "mashup". I think the technique of separating out the vocal relies on the fact that in most pop music it is dead centre in the stereo image, wheras other instruments are panned to varying degrees. So if you invert the left track the vocal gets cancelled out. Or something? No doubt it takes more skill, knowledge and time than my poor attempt at explanation.

I do recall from my youth a woefully but hilariously inappropriate attempt at re-wording Lou Reed's Perfect Day at a church youth club.

None of which actually answers the original question. Sorry :)

.... just scratches the surface of the CD.

NOT. I'm pretty sure they are big enough to request (DEMAND is a better word for them) stuff that (a) doesn't have offensive language or content to begin with, or (b) has the ability to request their own "G" rated mixes - though if such a thing exists, other retailers would have access to those as well.

and stretch your mind a bit, the devil has all the good music does he or it? mmm i dont think so" with a collection of over 40,000 mp3s not even my vinyl or cds or tapes or reels very few i had to throw away or adjust. my adjust folder has about 40 tracks thats it. only a person who excepts the rubbish put out and does not choose to pay for such rubbish, allow for more to be printed by paying those who have released so called songs. i do not find being sworn at, told how to use a woman or calling someone of a darker skin tone a n! a song!! its being released by people who have no morality and dont really care what happens unless there own morality is challenged. out one night or in the day attacked by someone who got that rubbish in there mind only then do they say help me? you needed help before then my friend as this was the fruits of your labour.

oh b4 someone says its my faith that dictates my descion, i have been only a christian since 2005"

good healthy and safety to all of us who visit here respects raju

your correct its not that easy but do able as i might have to remix the track to get the end result more than try to segment the frequencys getting a drop out type sound as if something has been removed. funny i did it when i was 11 useing a cassette deck and a pause button my friends were shocked as you could not tell? so here's me going back to that 11 year old and saying HELP.

respects raju

the reasons i kept the tracks is because of the beats mark. i never was brought to tracks by there swearing, i am not made that way i'm afraid my friend. i deleted all that were so bad it was constant but as the ones i have left can be worked with and adjusted to looseing a few seconds but saveing a track worthy of its merits purly on the mix. i choose to for go the thought of did that not have swearing in it? to what a tune guys what do you think good mix of beats yes?

respects raju

you know the point you have is a good one. there is such a thing as radio edit and its how i have replaced a lot of tracks that otherwise would be telling me all sorts. hence i have only very special dj mixes with live or recorded commentry that is minor that i am left with to edit. all the other i threw away as i dont need the songs that badly

respects raju