IGNORED

Article: Advanced Acourate Digital XO Time Alignment Driver Linearization Walkthrough

Mitch,

Great article, thanks for the in depth look at this.

The amplification is Nelson Pass DIY A40 stereo Class A amplifier that drives the 97 dB @ 1w/1m sensitivity 15” 4 ohm woofers and 4 x DIY Amp Camp Amp’s (ACA) single-ended Class A Mosfet amplifiers drive the 110 dB and 114 dB @ 1w/1m sensitivity midrange and high frequency compression drivers respectively. While the ACA’s are rated at 6 watts, with the sensitivity of the compression driver/horn combos, I very rarely push 1 watt into them.

In college, one of my projects was electronic xover. I took a VAX11/780 (dating myself) that would measure the drivers and determine the xover points which then I could use to make the xover. But an interesting part of that study was one about amplifier usage. I was using a modified Dynaco Mark III for the base and then my stereo push pull EL34 amp (not an ST70) on the midrange and a SET triode connected EL34 for the tweeters.

I went back and forth and so much more and we talked about the design with a ton of people then it was realized that between 150-8KHz that you really had to use the same amplifier. The reason was that the differential in sound between the amplifiers was greater than the differential in sound of the drivers or the electronic xover.

The differential in sound of say a SET transistor amp and a PP transistor amp is going to be huge. Same for tube stuff...

@ RMAF this year we showed plasma tweeters which had their own electronic xover and driver. The same thought went into this that my papers had back in college. Some real thought has to be made here and people who think midrange starts at 1KHz are all nuts. Remember open E string on a guitar is 80Hz!! Middle C is what like 260Hz on a piano and A over middle C is 440Hz. Most of the vocal range happens way before 1Khz.

I think if you are looking for a more accurate system you may want to take a look at the amps.

Thanks,

Gordon