IGNORED

New Berkeley DAC? This article implies as much but ... ?

Why are the 24/96 and DXD frequency plots not the same?

Shouldn't they be the same in the <48kHz region?

The 24/96 plot is distinctly more rugged and different.

At least the microphones or source signal used for this plot are really limited, seems to be pretty much silence above 25 kHz.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

At least the microphones or source signal used for this plot are really limited, seems to be pretty much silence above 25 kHz.

But notice how the 24/96 file is all jagged (even below 25kHz), it doesn't look like the DXD original at all.

But notice how the 24/96 file is all jagged (even below 25kHz), it doesn't look like the DXD original at all.

Looking at the waveform part at top of left side, the two are different part of the song, or the 96k PCM has been through dynamic range compressor...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 1 month later...
Correct, no USB. Berkeley Audio Design believes DACs can only be optimized for PCM or DSD, but not both. Thus, only PCM is supported. Berkeley recommends converting DSD to PCM offline with software included with the DAC.

Hello Chris,

Any update to share? Has been some time.

Wdw

The DAC should be here any day now.

One new toy at a time Chris... You can't start playing with the Berkeley until you've completed you Aries homework!!!

:-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Serial number 1001 was just shipped to me :~)

I understand it takes a long time to do a full review, any chance you could give us some specifics just about its connections and specs? I just looked on Berkeley's website and they have nothing.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I received the new Alpha refrence yesterday ser #1002 courtesy of Maier Shadi of the Audio Salon. I thank him much for the hard work and guidance he has given me in getting this DAC. Those who are familiar with the previous Alpha series 1 & 2 will be right at home as most controls and inputs are similar except I think 2 SPDIF inputs are present on the new DAC. The remote is also new and of course the unit itself is very well constructed and much heavier than the other alphas.I used the alpha series one with and without the Alpha USB box. Currently I have listened to the unit through the alpha USB box from an Aurender W20 & the combination works flawlessly. I plan to try the AES connection later in the month after sustained listening in the current configuration.The best way I can describe the sound is in context with my analogue setup specifically the Constellation Audio Perseus. The ability to mainatin detail and clarity and at the same time great tonality can be difficult to attain but this has been the hallmark of the Perseus and I have noted the same for the new reference BADA. Harshness in the upper frequencies has been an issue i have noted in some of my favorite songs & I have been impressed at how much this issue has been ameliorated in my system . Hi rez files play seemlessly and the bass impact and control is much more evident than in my previous BADA. HDCD files are particularly impressive! I have not had enough time to listen with the various filter options present but plan to do so this later after better familiarity with the "default" set-up. I understand that Chris uses a W20 Aurender and I look forward to reading his critique of the unit particularly when paired with the Aurenders. I hope fellw CA-philes will have a chance to audition this DAC for at least in my system it has made an immense improvement in digital SQ !

thanks

Francisco

Francisco,

Thanks for that update. A few things:

* could you post some pictures. You mention you "think 2 SPDIF inputs are present". Pictures would tell us a lot.

* I would wait at least 48 hours for the digital clocks to settle in, let alone the breaking in of the likely substantial analog parts and power supplies. It's great news that this unit is already providing great music cold out of the box.

* I realize English is possibly not your first language (which I applaud cuz I could not even send an emergency text in any other language but English), but readability would be improved if you broke up your feedback into a couple paragraphs.

Thx again...

Ted_b

I had initially scripted a long(er) version on the reference with correct formatting etc. Unfortunately when I was ready to upload it to the CA site, the CA login was lost & when I logged in again all my comments were gone / kaput! I was not up to re-doing the whole piece until later in the night when I was finally able to get a few quick impressions of the unit. The room I use for listening is quite dark with black walls so please excuse the photo quality especially the back of the unit where illumination is difficult & all connections are in place! Sorry about the order of the pictures I had some difficulty getting them all attached at once.

image_4.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_2.jpg

image.jpg

thanks

Francisco

Ted_b

I had initially scripted a long(er) version on the reference with correct formatting etc. Unfortunately when I was ready to upload it to the CA site, the CA login was lost & when I logged in again all my comments were gone / kaput! I was not up to re-doing the whole piece until later in the night when I was finally able to get a few quick impressions of the unit. The room I use for listening is quite dark with black walls so please excuse the photo quality especially the back of the unit where illumination is difficult & all connections are in place! Sorry about the order of the pictures I had some difficulty getting them all attached at once.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13601[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the pics, Francisco!

*ANTIPODES CX--- Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

The player such as JRMC or A+ can convert on the fly no problem. Berkeley is just a proponent of offline processing to PCM. This means do it once and be done with it as well. Berkeley isn't going down the Peter St. Path of tuning software for its DACs. Berkeley is more in the straight up PCM but perfect clean signal camp.

If we are converting DSD to PCM using a software...then why not just download a PCM file? Is the DSD converted PCM file superior to PCM only file?

Music after life