IGNORED

New Berkeley DAC? This article implies as much but ... ?

I received the new Alpha refrence yesterday ser #1002 courtesy of Maier Shadi of the Audio Salon. I thank him much for the hard work and guidance he has given me in getting this DAC. Those who are familiar with the previous Alpha series 1 & 2 will be right at home as most controls and inputs are similar except I think 2 SPDIF inputs are present on the new DAC. The remote is also new and of course the unit itself is very well constructed and much heavier than the other alphas.I used the alpha series one with and without the Alpha USB box. Currently I have listened to the unit through the alpha USB box from an Aurender W20 & the combination works flawlessly. I plan to try the AES connection later in the month after sustained listening in the current configuration.The best way I can describe the sound is in context with my analogue setup specifically the Constellation Audio Perseus. The ability to mainatin detail and clarity and at the same time great tonality can be difficult to attain but this has been the hallmark of the Perseus and I have noted the same for the new reference BADA. Harshness in the upper frequencies has been an issue i have noted in some of my favorite songs & I have been impressed at how much this issue has been ameliorated in my system . Hi rez files play seemlessly and the bass impact and control is much more evident than in my previous BADA. HDCD files are particularly impressive! I have not had enough time to listen with the various filter options present but plan to do so this later after better familiarity with the "default" set-up. I understand that Chris uses a W20 Aurender and I look forward to reading his critique of the unit particularly when paired with the Aurenders. I hope fellw CA-philes will have a chance to audition this DAC for at least in my system it has made an immense improvement in digital SQ !

thanks

Francisco

Ted_b

I had initially scripted a long(er) version on the reference with correct formatting etc. Unfortunately when I was ready to upload it to the CA site, the CA login was lost & when I logged in again all my comments were gone / kaput! I was not up to re-doing the whole piece until later in the night when I was finally able to get a few quick impressions of the unit. The room I use for listening is quite dark with black walls so please excuse the photo quality especially the back of the unit where illumination is difficult & all connections are in place! Sorry about the order of the pictures I had some difficulty getting them all attached at once.

image_4.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_2.jpg

image.jpg

thanks

Francisco