IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

Sharon Bezaly's Solo Flute from A to Z - Vol.1 is 50% off today. The J.S.Bach flute partita in there is probably the best version around. Her mastery of circular breathing allows her to shape these flowing long phrases perfectly. And the recording allows you to hear how it's done. Amazing.

Thanks. Kalevi Aho's recording is fascinating. This seems to be having been recorded with HDCD in mind, even if it came out as a redbook CD: the high-res files from eClassical light both the 16 and 24 bit LEDs of my Benchmark DAC2, a combination which signals bit depth between 16 and 24 bits.

Anyway, 20 bits are more than enough for solo flute, and this is a terrific disc, many thanks for the recommendation: to my taste it combines excellent music, amazing playing, and top-drawer sound quality.

• 4 weeks later...
eClassical has a bunch of specials for Easter. Anything in particular you all recommend?

All good stuff. I'd particularly recommend Stile Antico if you like early music (very well recorded choral), and the Pergolesi by Jacobs is supposed to be good, although I don't have it yet

I'd particularly recommend Stile Antico if you like early music (very well recorded choral)

+1 on the Stile Antico recording. But beware that this album was natively recorded in DSD: if you have a SACD player, there is a case for getting the SACD disc rather than the PCM download.

• 2 weeks later...

Sudbin plays Scriabin:

For people who normally consider Scriabin too modern, Sonata 2 (tracks 2 & 3) might be attractive; it is romantic, not modern at all. eClassical allows you to buy individual tracks.

For most of the other tracks on this album, I find Horowitz far more imaginative and interesting than Sudbin.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 4 weeks later...

Downloaded this one today for $4.85, definitely worth it. Very nice SQ.

BIS-956.jpg

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Gubaidulina

If you are receptive to modern classical music with a jazz influence, this week's new release promotion on eClassical is interesting. Also, it is extremely well recorded, without the brightness of most BIS recordings.

eClassical - Sofia Gubaidulina ? Repentance

The piano sonata is considered one of Sofia Gubaidulina's best works. The best I can describe it is an evolution of Prokofiev, Shostakovich and bebop. I especially like the first movement, except for a relentless episode in the middle. The 2nd movement is slow and grim, but I like it. The 3rd is too much hectic pounding for me, although it is supposed to be dance-like.

The title piece, Repentance, is scored for cello, 3 guitars, and double bass, which yields marvelous timbres. I like the beginning and end but find the pointillistic middle too random.

eClassical lets you buy individual tracks, so you might buy just the first two movements of the piano sonata to test the waters.

eClassical never clarifies when the new release discount ends, but usually the last day is Friday.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

New release on eclassical with Elgar no.1 under Sakari Oramo baton/RSPO with 24/96 sound for 10 bucks. Don't know about you, but I am sold.

eClassical - Elgar - Symphony No.1

4852052-origpic-6dc4d1.jpg

Spectros:

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 10.53.06.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 10.54.17.png

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

4436313-origpic-a7546c.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_249_0.jpg

Today's eClassical daily deal is an absolute humdinger - one of those gems that occasionally arise among all those Finnish tuba concertos.

Thanks for the recommendation - I was getting tired of the tuba concertos ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 2 weeks later...
4461077-origpic-3c70c1.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_250_0.jpg

eClassical is smokin' this week. Another classic, both performance-wise and sonically. $7.13!!!

Would be nice if BIS would start making DSD downloads available. Le sigh.

eClassical also has the BPO/Litton Firebird, but it is not currently discounted.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

To some degree they're just being honest about their product, offering it in the format/resolution at which it was originally recorded, even though it was then made available on SACD.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

This album was recorded and mixed in PCM. The liner notes indicate that a Yamaha 02R96 was used for mixing. This unit does not support DSD. What would be the point of a DSD download?

eClassical also has the BPO/Litton Firebird, but it is not currently discounted.

I find the use of the acronym BPO possibly misleading as it is usually intended for the Berlin rather than Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra.

This album was recorded and mixed in PCM. The liner notes indicate that a Yamaha 02R96 was used for mixing. This unit does not support DSD. What would be the point of a DSD download?

Some people like playing music in DSD, and there are many folks on the forum who convert PCM to DSD before playing. So it would allow them to play in their preferred format. However, as I noted in my previous comment, it's hard to blame BIS for what is essentially truth in marketing.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.