IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

By the time I read your post it was too late! - or it would have been if I didn't already own it. :)

Yes, wonderful, and will be watching their holiday sales.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Musicophile, the link you provided is to eClassical's Christmas special which I thought kicked off on December 1 with Suzuki's Bach Cantatas volume 33 and Mozart's Clarinet Quintet with Jörg Widmann. Are you sure the Martin Frost was available on that page? Anyway, the Frost version of the Concerto is available for the rest of the year, combined with the Clarinet Quintet as part of the 40th Anniversary deal, for $8.75 (24 bit). In line with eClassical's pro rata charging policy, the Concerto can be had alone for $3.78.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Musicophile, the link you provided is to eClassical's Christmas special which I thought kicked off on December 1 with Suzuki's Bach Cantatas volume 33 and Mozart's Clarinet Quintet with Jörg Widmann. Are you sure the Martin Frost was available on that page? Anyway, the Frost version of the Concerto is available for the rest of the year, combined with the Clarinet Quintet as part of the 40th Anniversary deal, for $8.75 (24 bit). In line with eClassical's pro rata charging policy, the Concerto can be had alone for $3.78.

It's a DAILY deal, so you're just one day to late :-) Good incentive to check in every day.

Apparently, if you missed the daily deal, they still offer 25% off the next day, although the links in the grey fields below don't really seem to work. Which in the case of the Frost is indeed identical anyhow to the 40th anniversary deal.

Well I'm confused. The Christmas specials are supposed to start on December 1st. It's still December 1st in Australia as I write this, so there must be a lot of December 1st left in the rest of the world. As I write, the Cantata volume on sale is #33. Did I miss #34 yesterday (November 30) and was that the day the Martin Frost appeared? Also, if there was an offer yesterday, shouldn't they be in the 25% discount boxes today.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Well I'm confused. The Christmas specials are supposed to start on December 1st. It's still December 1st in Australia as I write this, so there must be a lot of December 1st left in the rest of the world. As I write, the Cantata volume on sale is #33. Did I miss #34 yesterday (November 30) and was that the day the Martin Frost appeared? Also, if there was an offer yesterday, shouldn't they be in the 25% discount boxes today.

It is still December 1st pretty much everywhere. But I assure you I saw the Fröst at $5.XX on that very same page, when I clicked on it yesterday afternoon.

To why they are not in the 25% window, beats me. So either I'm on drugs (although only a glass of Hine Cognac) or maybe I ended up seeing an early trial version of the page.

The Arcanto Quartet recording by the way is very nice. Very well recorded at 24/96 with a DR of 15.

[...] To why they are not in the 25% window, beats me. So either I'm on drugs (although only a glass of Hine Cognac) or maybe I ended up seeing an early trial version of the page.

Probably. The 25% windows are supposed to be for the sale items for the day before. Dec 1 is the first day of the sale event--there is no previous day items yet.

Probably. The 25% windows are supposed to be for the sale items for the day before. Dec 1 is the first day of the sale event--there is no previous day items yet.

So probably it was the drugs. I'm convinced I saw the Fröst yesterday, when I received an email about the promotion.

So probably it was the drugs. I'm convinced I saw the Fröst yesterday, when I received an email about the promotion.

The Fröst does appear on the right hand side of the page as I see it, third under Top Downloads.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Looks like today's deal features Isabelle Faust performing Berg and Beethoven as well as the Peer Gynt suite.

Musicophile, I seem to remember you commenting on the Faust piece in another thread- think it's worth the download? I have been curious about the Beethoven performance as well as the overall sound quality of the piece. Quboz has it listed under their "Studio Masters" but wasn't sure if you had any feedback?

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Looks like today's deal features Isabelle Faust performing Berg and Beethoven as well as the Peer Gynt suite.

Musicophile, I seem to remember you commenting on the Faust piece in another thread- think it's worth the download? I have been curious about the Beethoven performance as well as the overall sound quality of the piece. Quboz has it listed under their "Studio Masters" but wasn't sure if you had any feedback?

The Faust still is my personal favorite for the Beethoven, and her Berg is good as well. Go for it!

The Faust still is my personal favorite for the Beethoven, and her Berg is good as well. Go for it!

I concur with you. This is an excellent performance, and the SQ is superb. Up to now what is offered as daily deal is first class. My only reservation is that I have already many of theses recordings.

Up to now what is offered as daily deal is first class. My only reservation is that I have already many of theses recordings.

100% agree, but finally they have one which I didn't have yet:

Ombra Cara: Händel Arias with Bejun Mehta and René Jacobs in 24/96.

I'm usually not a big fan of Opera best of's, but for Händel I can make an exception, as sometimes I simply don't have the courage for >3hrs of recitativo of an opera seria.

Downloading as we speak, will report back.

100% agree, but finally they have one which I didn't have yet:

Ombra Cara: Händel Arias with Bejun Mehta and René Jacobs in 24/96.

I'm usually not a big fan of Opera best of's, but for Händel I can make an exception, as sometimes I simply don't have the courage for >3hrs of recitativo of an opera seria.

Downloading as we speak, will report back.

Listening to it now.

To make it short: Amazing!

DR of 14-16, very well recorded. Jacobs and the Freiburger play brilliantly, and Mehta, that I'd never heard before, has a beautiful voice.

I also found these reviews:

Review: HANDEL Arias: Ombra Cara (countertenor: Bejun Mehta; Freiburg Baroque/Jacobs) - Classical Music - Limelight Magazine

Ombra Cara - Handel: Arias / Bejun Mehta | ArkivMusic

Just one caveat: the 24bit files I downloaded were not 24/96 as declared on the website, but 24/44. I just sent a message to eclassicals customer support. I assume they won't get back to me before tomorrow.

I was surprised anyhow to see a 24/96 recording from Harmonia Mundi from 2010, as I though they only switched to 24/96 masters later.

In any case, a beautiful recording, and well worth the less than 10 bucks it is currently sold at.

Just one caveat: the 24bit files I downloaded were not 24/96 as declared on the website, but 24/44. I just sent a message to eclassicals customer support. I assume they won't get back to me before tomorrow.

I was surprised anyhow to see a 24/96 recording from Harmonia Mundi from 2010, as I though they only switched to 24/96 masters later.

In any case, a beautiful recording, and well worth the less than 10 bucks it is currently sold at.

Just to follow up on this: I in the meantime got an e-mail from eclassical customer service, not only confirming that they made a mistake in the declaration, but also offering me another album as a free download in compensation! That is what I call excellent customer service!!!!

By the way, the album they offered me is an amazing recording of a 17th century lute in beautiful 24/96 sound, which I just highly recommend:

eClassical - Jacobean Lute Music

And no, I'm not affiliated with eclassical in any way, just an even happier customer now.