IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

I fully second your recommendation. This is an excellent recording -- which I bought some time ago from Qobuz for more than three times the price at which it is offered today on eClassical...

Third - if I didn't already own it, I'd snap it up!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Probably my favorite recording of these slightly overplayed, but still timeless masterpieces.

I've been tempted by this offering today. I like what I've heard of the Freiburger recording (from the eClassical and Allmusic sites - the tempi are pretty brisk, yes?) but I've got two other versions of these works (Pearlman with Boston Baroque (Telarc SACD) and Goebel with Musica Antiqua Koln (Archiv)) and hesitate to add a third. Can anyone offer comment/comparison between the Freiburger Barockorchester recording and either the Pearlman or Goebel offerings (performance, recording, etc)?

I don't have either of these, unfortunately.

I have three recordings:

Savall / Le Concert des Nations

Suzuki / Bach Collegium Japan

Freiburger Barockorchester

I prefer the Freiburger of the three.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Don't miss the 50% Christmas Discount from eclassical.com today. Jean-Guihen Queyras performing Vivaldi Cello Concertos: eClassical - Vivaldi: Cello Concertos

Thanks for the heads up! Loving the cornucopia of great music we're finding on sale this season :)

• 6 months later...
4436313-origpic-a7546c.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_249_0.jpg

Today's eClassical daily deal is an absolute humdinger - one of those gems that occasionally arise among all those Finnish tuba concertos.

Thanks for the recommendation - I was getting tired of the tuba concertos ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased this based on someone's recommendation:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13348[/ATTACH]

It's interesting, but I don't know when I'll be in the mood to listen to it again.

Wow, really? I listen to "Crown Imperial" at least once / week! I'd say it's easily my favorite recording among ~5,000 albums (at least right now).

I love the "title track", particularly, along with "Niagara Falls", which knocks me out every time.

• 9 months later...
Just received an email about a new highres offer, and it took me exactly 2 min to get out my credit card:

eClassical - Schumann: Violin Concerto

Pretty much everything here was motivating me to buy: I'm a big fan of Isabelle Faust as a soloist and in the trio combination with Melnikov and Queyras, and I also really like the Freiberger Barockorchester.

Schumann is a great composer, and I must admit I barely know his violin concerto (only have an old Mercury Living Presence with Szeryng).

Downloading now, will report back.

It's very nice - bought it from Qobuz at about the same price a couple weeks back. You'll enjoy it.

Another album on 24-bit discount now is David Watkin's Bach Cello Suites. I didn't recognize the name, so it took me a couple days to decide to try it out, but now that I've listened, I can say it is excellent. He's spent most of his career as principal cellist in the top baroque orchestras, which makes him a less familiar name than soloists who tour the world playing the Dvorak and Schumann concertos, but no less qualified to record the Cello Suites. It's a proper HIP recording: all gut strings, and a five-string cello for the sixth suite, both of which bring big benefits over recordings on a modern instrument. Among major HIP recordings, he has a remarkably full and beautiful sound, richer than Wispelwey 1997, and with more expressive, less overtly danceable rhythms than Wispelwey, but not as wayward as Bylsma.

Of course, unlike the Schumann, this is music that most classical-music listeners already have several fine recordings of, but it deserves as many recordings as any piece out there.

This is lovely - thank you so much for pointing it out!

• 9 months later...

The weekly special this week is the third volume of Jonathan Plowright's complete Brahm's solo piano works:

eClassical - Brahms ? The Complete Solo Piano Music (III)

and the companion download is the first volume.

Good chance to catch up on this cycle if you love Brahms - just listened to the first volume myself, and it's very nice :)

• 1 year later...
This recording is newly available at a new-release discount at eClasssical. Does anyone have any thoughts about it? It looks potentially interesting? TIA.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33260[/ATTACH]

Listening to it today. If you are a fan of "HIP" (i.e., historically informed scratchy, out-of-tune squawking), it's a charming performance ;)

Just kidding - it is definitely HIP, but I tend to like that (was a performer with the Dallas Bach Society for many years), and I enjoyed this recording.

Don't have this one yet, need to check it out. Easter is coming soon...

St. John is one of my favorite works (of any sort), and this is a fine performance. For <$10 (US), you can't go wrong.

Just double checked; I already have it. Playing it now, and agree it is good. My preferred versions remain Dunedin and Herreweghe, but this is clearly worth having.

The only minor downside is the German pronunciation, which very atypically for the Bach Collegium, could be improved in certain parts.

Yep, I already had it, as well (Bach fanatic).

The Dunedin performance is my favorite :)

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Snowmonkey said:

Cesar Franck: Sonata for Piano and Violin - Ernest Chausson: Concert

Isabelle Faust and Alexander Melnikov: Cesar Franck, Sonata for Piano and Violin - Ernest Chausson, Concert

This isn't one of the daily deals, but a new release with a promotion of hi-res for the price of standard res.

This is just an outstanding performance IMO, easily the best I have heard of either piece.

It is lovely.