IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

By the time I read your post it was too late! - or it would have been if I didn't already own it. :)

Yes, wonderful, and will be watching their holiday sales.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So probably it was the drugs. I'm convinced I saw the Fröst yesterday, when I received an email about the promotion.

The Fröst does appear on the right hand side of the page as I see it, third under Top Downloads.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 3 weeks later...
Today, Jacobs' interpretation of La Finta Gardiniera in 24/96 for 25 bucks. Quite attractive...

Yes, what I hear of the samples sounds very, very good. I might not purchase, only because my wife is "allergic" to opera and I might not have very many chances to listen; if I'm going to spend $25, I want to be able to hear it a few times. But that's just my particular circumstance, and anyone else who likes Mozart, opera, or the combination thereof should check out the samples.

Meanwhile, yesterday's selections now with a 25% discount include Handel choruses, old warhorses, yes, but wonderful old warhorses. It will give me a chance to bowl over our Christmas guests with a resounding rendition of the Hallelujah chorus - perhaps as they are waking up Christmas morning? ;)

Over at Linn Records, a couple of days ago the free selection was from a recording of Chopin piano concertos scheduled for February release with a pianist named Ingrid Fliter. I missed the free download, but the samples sound just terrific to me and I intend to purchase it when it comes out next year.

• 6 months later...
Would be nice if BIS would start making DSD downloads available. Le sigh.

To some degree they're just being honest about their product, offering it in the format/resolution at which it was originally recorded, even though it was then made available on SACD.

This album was recorded and mixed in PCM. The liner notes indicate that a Yamaha 02R96 was used for mixing. This unit does not support DSD. What would be the point of a DSD download?

Some people like playing music in DSD, and there are many folks on the forum who convert PCM to DSD before playing. So it would allow them to play in their preferred format. However, as I noted in my previous comment, it's hard to blame BIS for what is essentially truth in marketing.

In any case, their recordings are usually way above average.

I really can't think of one I've purchased that has disappointed me, and there are very few other sources of music I can say that about.

I think this is the only download I've bought that I don't like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13350[/ATTACH]

It was on sale for $4 or something. That guy's smile melted my heart and I couldn't say no.

His smile melted your heart? Admit it, you bought it 'cause it was $4 and you're cheap! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I liked yesterday's deal a lot (used to play horn in school orchestra- I was terrible) but got busy and neglected to buy it. More fool me - I still may get it at the regular price.

Happens to me all the time, alas.

Got lucky - went to the site and it was still on sale as of last night, so I bought it. :)

• 6 months later...

Going to have to compare it to my favorite 4 Seasons, also by BIS, from the Drottningholm Baroque.

• 3 weeks later...
Clarinet Concertos played by Martin Fröst

For those of you who enjoy the clarinet concertos of Weber and Mozart, I recommend today's half-price special: 3 clarinet concertos by Crusell. Like Weber, Crusell was on the cusp between the Classical and Romantic styles.

Op 5 in F Minor is the last composed and generally considered the best of the three; better than Weber in my opinion. Op 1 in E-flat Major is the middle in order of composition and is comparable in quality to Weber. I haven't listened to the earliest, Op 11.

Love Fröst, will have to check these out. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Another album on 24-bit discount now is David Watkin's Bach Cello Suites. I didn't recognize the name, so it took me a couple days to decide to try it out, but now that I've listened, I can say it is excellent.

+1

Beethoven String Trios Op.9 by Trio Zimmermann. Pulled the trigger and I like it. Robert from BIS as well it seemed.

eClassical - daily deal

Have this and like it very much as well.

• 1 month later...
Back to classical and a real discount:

eClassical - Bach ? Lutheran Masses I

As usual with Suzuki, well played and even better recorded. A 24/96 for less than $10. These "smaller" masses may not be the b-minor, but they are certainly worth listening to.

Love this - bought it a few days ago and was going to mention it here or in Album of the Evening, but didn't get around to it. Would definitely recommend it.

Just from listening to some comparative samples (a minute each) - Pichon's tempi are definitely faster, creating an impression of extra energy and excitement. Yet I find much to like about each rendition.

Edit: BTW, meant to mention: Pichon & Pygmalion Ensemble's recording of Rameau's Castor & Pollux is on sale at eClassical.

• 6 months later...
A really nice daily deal today: the Sudbin Beethoven piano concertos 4 & 5, a really good recording of these two masterpieces:

eClassical - daily deal

A must have for $7.

And the playing is wonderful, to me a cut above the set available from Linn.

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

I suppose this disqualifies my opinions, but my references are not very modern.

My favorite 4th is Abbado/Berlin 1999, one of the few from the 1999 cycle that I prefer to the 2001 remake in Rome.

My favorite 9th is Bernstein/Vienna 1979.

Like Bernstein a lot.  My favorite is Solti/Chicago.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:08 AM, Musicophile said:

Thanks for flagging about the half price deal. The Kantorow is a must have then. 

Already have the Kantorow, so I bought the Brahms 2nd.

14 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

@Jud:  How are you enjoying your new house?  Have you finished moving your furniture and unpacking your tchochkes?

Our stuff arrived late (a week ago yesterday).  This postponed other things, like internet and TV service.

So we are unboxing the last of what my wife considers essential, which so far has not included the audio system. :)

4 hours ago, rickca said:

Hopefully, that includes you!

She needs someone to do the grunt work!  :D

• 6 months later...
52 minutes ago, semente said:

I'm conflicted - love Fröst, not much on Mozart ( ? - I know, I know).

• 5 months later...

Samples of this sound quite interesting.  May have to buy.

Bach Sax Cello Harp.jpg

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, semente said:

Today's deal could be one of my desert island discs:

4439448-origpic-683581.jpg

https://www.eclassical.com/performers/sudbin-yevgeny/sudbin-plays-scriabin.html

Love Sudbin, let me see if I have this one already...