Sign in to follow this  
seanrr

Cheapest way to play 24 bit music through a network using i-tunes to a hi-fi system

Rate this topic

Ok - I know that this subject has been covered in many ways in different posts on this forum, but as much as I search, I cannot find the answers that work for me. Let me give you some background to my system:

I have an audio system in my office with my main computer, and I have a 3 TB music library, much of which is 24/96 quality files using an IMac and itunes. I use a SET amplifier connected to my computer via usb into a JKenny 24DAC, and I have an external hard drive using firewire to connect to the computer.

Now, I have two other stereos in the house - one using a rehabbed Fisher 400 tube receiver and the other using a rehabbed Eico HF-81 tube amp. I am trying to get the music from my office to these systems. Right now, I am using Apple TV into DACs on both of my systems, and the result is pretty good, but from what I understand I am not getting the best quality possible - I use Air Foil rather than the Apple TV interface so I can utilize Amarra. I just got some MOCA receivers that will use FIOS internet to hard wire my Apple TVs, and this may be the best I am going to do - avoiding drop outs and using an IPAD to control songs. But...could I do all of that and get full quality 24 bit music?

Solution 1 - Are there other streamers I can hard wire to my network and get better results than the Apple TV without spending a ton of money (also, I would like to continue using I-Tunes, since all of my music is already in ALAC, and I like Amarra).

Solution 2 - I could use an old Mac Book to access home sharing and go out from my mac book (with Amarra on it) to the DAC in each system - if this can access 24 bit music, maybe this is easier and cheaper since I can just move my laptop from one system to the other?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You could build a squeezebox.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

You could ditch iTunes and switch to JRiver for OSX.

...Sorry. Silly reply. I just read you like Amarra.

...edit again....but JRiver is perfectly capable of doing what you want. I'm doing just that right now from a MacPro (solution 2 in your scenario)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Hi Sean:

FYI, I use home sharing with one mac mini in my main system and wirelessly stream 24/96 files via itunes to my other mini in my office. Sounds very nice via a HRT Microstreamer into my headphones. You Macbook should do the same if using a usb dac arrangement capable of 24/96 and higher. When I last had a Macbook the optical out was limited to 24-96.

I also played some 24/192 files but the Microstreamer is showing 24/96 probably due to the max setting in Audio Midi for the HRT of 24/96. So I am sure itunes is downsampling.

Hi Sean:

FYI, I use home sharing with one mac mini in my main system and wirelessly stream 24/96 files via itunes to my other mini in my office. Sounds very nice via a HRT Microstreamer into my headphones. You Macbook should do the same if using a usb dac arrangement capable of 24/96 and higher. When I last had a Macbook the optical out was limited to 24-96.

I also played some 24/192 files but the Microstreamer is showing 24/96 probably due to the max setting in Audio Midi for the HRT of 24/96. So I am sure itunes is downsampling.

bixby, are you using any playback software on the Mini connected to the Microstreamer? I use Audirvana+ and it only works with files in the local iTunes library. I can't get it to play songs with Home Sharing.