IGNORED

New Kimber USB Cable

I use one and found it well worth the $50.

I was hearing a fair amount of digital "artifacts" with a cheapo USB and so I ordered the Kimber. All those little annoyances were gone!

I suspect I will upgrade even more as some point (but I just invested in new amps), but for now, they certainly do the trick and I don't think you can go wrong for the price.

John

[Outlet > Crystal Cable Reference Power Cords > Audio Magic Mini Stealth >] MacBook \"White\" (Sitting on Symposium Svelte Shelf and 3 Decouplers) > iTunes/Apple Lossless/iTouch Remote > Kimber Cable USB > Bel Canto 24/96 USB Converter > Cary 306 Pro SACD/CD/DAC > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC >Pass Labs X1 > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC > Bryston 28B SST Mono Blocks > Transparent MM Ultra Speaker Cables > Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations> My Ears.....ahhhhhhh

Ridge Street Audio USB Cables Rule!!!!!!!

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

I use a Ridge Street Poeima which is a wonderful (and quite unexpected) surprize compared to the basic usb cable and I wish I could compare it with Locus design wich many like.

Dac202/LebenXS/MagicoV2 Stealth cables www.bluedy.com

Wireless is the way to go! - packets my friend! - why send synchronous data that needs to be clocked etc? All we need is the digital - sent in packets and reclocked on the back end to make music. It seems simple to me. All this BS with USB vs. SPDIF vs. firewire is mute. If the cable makes a difference something is wrong! It is all inferior to wireless! - sorry - my two cents!

Eric

... till the microwave is turned on, or the phone rings, or another computer collects email.

I'm not sure what kind of devices you were getting at - wireless as a replacement for USB or SPDIF to a DAC or wireless to a streeming device such as Logitexh Transporter or Linn Klinax DS?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have the Transporter. I agonized quite a bit over what approach I would take at this stage of PC music server technology. Wireless seems to be the best IMHO. That is not to say that USB could overtake it. Lets see!

Thanks - Eric

In the context of your reply then I would say the Ethernet (either wired or wireless) is the way forward. Wireless as a term can mean many things / devices. You were meaning WiFi specifically (sorry to be pedant).

Personally I find wifi unreliable in my house but YMMV and be fine for your circumstances.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

For the record - I have had NO dropouts of any sort with the Transporter. I am using a wireless N router and I have had three computers using the router at the same time without a hick up! Microwave running and all! It's a non issue. Or at least MUCH less of one than the USB cable debate!

Eric

Not doubting you eric - mostly just clarifying. Partly depends on construction of house, etc. Us Brits build with bricks and morter you know :-)

Eloise

---

I used wireless for a while as was I was building shelves to house the extra components. Wireless may seem convenient yet it is not superior to wired. I dedicate my laptop to my music cause use of the desktop will cause hiccups and the seat for the desktop is not where I listen.

Should anyone need to send the signal from your desktop to your DAC and you need distance, you absolutely should use USB over fiber Optics such as Opticis.

This will maintian the integrity of the signal and not compromise it such as USB over Ethernet.

Liz

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had it for maybe six months now. Other cables I have tried: Radio Shack, Monster, Belkin. The Radio Shack and Belkin are fine cables and their only sins are sins of omission (if you don't compare, you wouldn't know what you are missing). The Monster cable is a slight step up from the Radio Shack and Belkin and the Kimber is another slight step up from the Monster (deeper, tighter bass and a touch more meat on the mids but not at all bloated or slow). Chris's comments on the cable are just about spot on when making the change from a standard cable to the Kimber.

I've read a few comments on this and other boards that the Kimber USB cable can be improved by removing the ferrite beads. Tonight I finally removed the ferrite beads, figuring that the worst case scenario is losing $50. After modding the cable, it is more extended high and low. This is a light switch effect (not subtle). I think I'm done auditioning USB cables, it's that good.

I don't think you have the NEW Silver USB cable if you've had it for six months. It's only been out a couple of weeks. You can see it here:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85484

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

the Ridge Street Audio Alethias, which is something like a 700.00 USB cord. I like it, but I think it's a little soft in the dynamics, the Poeima was even worse in this regard, so much so that I actually prefered the stock USB cable that Gordon supplied with the Wavelength Cosecant DAC. The Alethias is marginally better than the stock cord in my system which is a little surprising considering that it is so expensive. I would love to compare it to the new Kimber cord. I have a hunch I'd like it better than the Ridge Street Alethias.

HI,

USB is, at this point in time, the most common PC interface out there today, it’s simple, easy to use, compact and basically plug and play. It allows us to connect a plethora of devices to our computers, everything from cellphones, USB flash drives, and printers to goofy gadgets like missile launchers and fans. USB has become an amazing interface for connecting most anything to our computers. While it is no doubt a great interface, it does have one limitation though, and that is length, you can only go about 16 feet or 5 meters with the USB cable, anything past that and the signal degrades. For most people I’m sure 16 feet is more than long enough, but some of us need to go a longer distance for whatever reason.

tin whiskers

You can get active repeaters for USB cables - basically a 1 way USB hub. Shouldn't have any effect on the sound quality, though different USB cables **SHOULDN'T** affect quality either.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I honestly havent compared WiFi to Firewire, USB or any other of the numerous combinations and permutations available to the audiophile today! This is the frustrating part of this hobby! We are all just jackin off when it comes down to it! I can only report on my narrow limited sphere of experience. As is true of most of us. At least the honest ones! Even Gordon "admits" in his own way that wireless is "complicated" and hence not as desirable as USB! Just because something is complicated doesn't make it inferior. This is a new and uncharted field of audio. Lets be open minded, and check it out for ourselves when need be and report our experiences. All I said was that I was "disturbed" by the admitted fact that a USB cable makes a difference in sound! - It "shouldn't" and I stand by it!

Eric

Actually, Eric, it was your comment in the subject above that elicited my question:

"It is all inferior to wireless!"

I was just curious on what basis you were making that claim.

Now i know, thanks

clay