IGNORED

xbox 360 in a computer audio playback system?

My co worker (I am trying to convert to ca...hehehe) has a pc, external harddrive with music, home network, and an xbox 360 hooked up to a pretty cool home theator system that I setup about a year ago. I love to spend other people money ;). I am also pretty sure he plays music via ms media player.

Any thoughts on this being any kind of setup for computer audio playback?

thank you in advance...

re

JR

Hello jr.

I think the 360 may be a little on the loud side unless it's closed behind a cabinet or something. I'm also pretty sure the os will not allow a bit perfect output working in a similar way to xp.

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

Hello jr.

I think the 360 may be a little on the loud side unless it's closed behind a cabinet or something. I'm also pretty sure the os will not allow a bit perfect output working in a similar way to xp.

Matt.

If you were to open up for example Windows Media Player and play a file, the data would be transmitted via the K-Mixer. It's normally (but not always) preferable to get around the K-Mixer which by Microsofts own admission is pretty poor. You can use ASIO with some software to send your audio data directly to your soundcard without being changed - this is called 'bit perfect'.

The K-Mixer can be 'bit perfect' under certain conditions.

I'd assume that the XBox 360 most definately uses the K-Mixer. It was never meant to be an audiophile tool and because it's a console you have very limited access to it's OS.

You can of course check that the output is bit perfect. I believe connecting the optical output to a digital receiver could show you that .. It should receive dolby digital - and the player should show that.

However, Dolby Digital is not ideal for music being 48khz and, given 48khz was an XP standard, I'd hazard a guess that music would be upsampled, using some variation of the k-mixer, to 48khz.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning ...

... if you're keen to take the console route for whatever reason, you may find the PS3 a better bet. I believe people have had good results with this as a media server but I understand it's not easy to cycle your way through your music library if it's of some size.

Yes the cycling is a wee hassle but if you set up good playlists its not as bad. I got a rude suprise playing music off an external USB drive the other day. You can't create playlists or sort the music!!!! (You can for networked music and locally stored music however)- Weird!

I can happily recommend the PS3 if you want a media streaming box that happens to play games and Bluray aswell :)

PS3 60bg (160GB installed + Native music Browser)-AVI ADM9.1-Klipsch SW12 Subwoofer-Belkin Power Board- Custom power cables-Supra Sub Cable- No Name Toslink Cable - PROUD NZer