IGNORED

Hard Drives Make a Difference in Sound

It looks interesting but where do you buy them? I googled it and can’t find a place to buy one. Do they make a short one?

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

OK. I found it on Amazon. The shipping and tax is more than the cable. I will try to hook up with one of my wife’s’ orders.

PS

I found one on eBay for a lot less. The shipping was 2.99 so I bought one.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

• 2 weeks later...

I just tested this SATA cable. I would classify the SATA cable as very smooth sounding. It lacks in dynamics and resolution and no 3D. If you want a smooth sounding SATA cable this is it.

The little 6 inch UV blue cable has more dynamics, resolution, 3D, and better depth. It is a much better sounding SATA cable

photo.JPG

I just tested this SATA cable. I would classify the SATA cable as very smooth sounding. It lacks in dynamics and resolution and no 3D. If you want a smooth sounding SATA cable this is it.

The little 6 inch UV blue cable has more dynamics, resolution, 3D, and better depth. It is a much better sounding SATA cable

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9893[/ATTACH]

Put simply, the previous one has far better noise rejection, which is also likely to be partly due to the shorter length.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

Your link shows 6 pages of cables at Newegg. Can you be more specific?

Why do you think it will be better sounding?

I believe this is the cable that is your favorite one so far.

Coboc Model SC-SATA3-6-LL-BL-90 - Newegg.com

I'd bet the shorter length and shielding contribute to the better sound. It sounds better than the 18" stock cable that came with my case.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

I believe you are correct. Everybody should replace their SATA cables on their music servers. They will end up with better SQ.

Great thread people.

I can add a couple of items not covered or I did not see discussed .

first off raid in any format does not sound as good as without. I use raid but just to keep my music safe. And I have them in different places too.

But but the other is a nas and use a simple program to run it . With out the CPU at all. Like minum server for one.

I use as Sanology ds213+. With a SS drive . And yes the different SS. Drives do sound different . I'm using the samsung 1ter bit . Drive . And all cat6a shielded and a giga switch . Cables within system for music no more than 3 feet each.

And we are not crazy either it all seems to affect the sound.

If you hear it you have a pretty high resolution system.

Al

Ok I guess I will try wrapping one of the Intel cables in aluminum foil and see what it sounds like.

I don’t understand why people just don’t buy the 6 inch UV blue SATA cable. It costs less than the foil used to wrap both wires together whereas the 6 inch UV cable SATA has each wire shielded individually.

I don’t understand why people just don’t buy the 6 inch UV blue SATA cable.

I tried with the tin foil because at the time I had no idea what sata cable to order. I didn't want to pay big money for custom sata cables (Paul Pang, etc.). This was an easy way to at least try and see if there was any kind of improvement before deciding if it was worth spending any money. The improvement I heard was obvious to me and was actually enough for me to be happy enough to stay with the "known", no cost result, rather than risking money on an unknown result.

I tried with the tin foil because at the time I had no idea what sata cable to order. I didn't want to pay big money for custom sata cables (Paul Pang, etc.). This was an easy way to at least try and see if there was any kind of improvement before deciding if it was worth spending any money. The improvement I heard was obvious to me and was actually enough for me to be happy enough to stay with the "known", no cost result, rather than risking money on an unknown result.

Now that you don't have to spend big bucks for a good SATA cable why don't you buy one of the 6 inch UV blue SATA cables and compare it to your foil wrapped SATA cable? Let me know which is better.

Split the cable in the thin line, so you get "two cables"

then wrap each cable whit folie,

next twis the cable , and wrap it agin whit folie,

Now you get a "twisted pair sata"

mount and se if it sound any diffrent,

"apologies fore my bad spelling"

Split the cable in the thin line, so you get "two cables"

then wrap each cable whit folie,

next twis the cable , and wrap it agin whit folie,

Now you get a "twisted pair sata"

mount and se if it sound any diffrent,

"apologies fore my bad spelling"

Interesting idea. I am in love with my current SATA cable so I will need to buy another one to test with.

yes do so, take what ever you hav,

my test was whit a ASUS 6gb sata cable

you will be surprised

I must try splitting my screened RCA leads into 2 separate leads to see if the channel separation improves.

Sorry guys, I couldn't help myself, please carry on.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have not. But on that train of thought I just moved most of my music library off the spinning drive in my "server" on to a SSD in my main PC. That change made no difference to my ears. Upgrading the SSD's cable did.

Now that you don't have to spend big bucks for a good SATA cable why don't you buy one of the 6 inch UV blue SATA cables and compare it to your foil wrapped SATA cable? Let me know which is better.

Hi coxhaus,

I ordered the 6" cable from Newegg linked by SuperRu in post #157. I had a chance to listen for a couple hours today.

There is definitely an audible difference (at least to my ears) between it and the tinfoil wrapped cable. The 6" cable gave an overly boomy bass in my setup. Very noticeable to me immediately. The other major difference was the loss of being able to hear the "room" in the recording. To me, I lost the sense of space and depth in the recording, almost as if everything was recorded in a very dead room. I let it play for an hour or so and then listened again and noticed no change. I ended up re-installing the tinfoil wrapped cable and everything was back to the way I liked it. I intend to try wrapping the Newegg cable in tinfoil and see how it goes. I much prefer the idea of a 6" cable over the original 18" cable. I don't know when I'll get a chance to try this but I'll post when I do.

I'd be very interested in hearing your feedback if you try the tinfoil. At least it won't cost you anything to try :) One thing for sure, I have no doubt sata cables make an audible difference to my ears.

Bill

I would love to see a picture of your tinfoil SATA cable. I would like to build one. I would let the 6 inch SATA cable play for a day or two as I did not notice the 3D at first. I don't know if it was me or the cable but there was a lot going on with Christmas.

PS

I did not notice any extra bass on mine. I have a couple more on the way and I will test them to see if they sound the same as my original one. On my connectors the angled one was on the drive and the straight one on the motherboard.

Can you include a picture of the package so I can cross check the numbers against mine to make sure they are the same cable.

Tin foil? Maybe I missed this, but is the tin foil grounded? Have you considered something like BX cable sheathing or large copper braid/tube that is opened. Heck, maybe even soft copper plumbing pipe bent to shape. I haven't the time to mess with this, but I am curious...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz