IGNORED

DSF Files tagged in JRMC 19 for Windows lose custom tag values in JRMC 19 for Mac - ideas?

couchjr

I've posted the message below in the JRMC Interact forum but thought I'd also solicit the wisdom of this group. I hope this problem is due to user error and someone can sort me out:

A friend has tagged some test classical multichannel dsf files in JRMC 19 Windows, including two custom-defined tag fields. If I import an album of those files from an NTSF-formatted portable HD (I have the Paragon NTFS driver installed on my Mac) into JRMC 19 Mac (without copying the files onto the internal HFS+ hard drive), so that JRMC is reading them from the portable HD, I see the custom fields but there's no data in them. I also do not see the cover art thumbnail, which is present when the file set is viewed on his Windows machine.

If I copy the files to my HFS+ internal drive, I get similar results but in addition I don't see the custom fields/columns at all on JRMC Mac. If I then copy the files back to the portable drive and my friend imports them into his Windows JRMC (after first deleting any old copies), his custom fields and the cover art field are empty. So with no operation performed on the files other than copying the file to the Mac internal drive and back to the NTFS portable drive, tag data seems to be lost.

At first I thought the problem might be incompatibility between the Mac/Win versions of JRMC, and that may still be true as in paragraph one above, but paragraph two makes me wonder whether there might also be some problem caused by the hard drives' file formats as well.

My goal is to be able to extract (on my Mac) stereo dsf files from the iso files for these albums (I've done that successfully and they play gloriously when pulled from directly attached storage by my Oppo 105) and then apply my friend's expert tagging by the "re-ripping" or (as I call it) the "file swapping" method (tag pasting isn't working for me, and would be too tedious to do individual tracks for a large number of albums anyway) so that eventually I can play them from a Mac server via JRMC and have decent search/navigation across the large album collection. All the operations (extracting stereo dff from iso, converting to dsf via AudioGate, copying tags via "file swapping" and updating tags from/to the library) seem to work pretty much as expected on the Mac except for this problem with some metadata apparently not being accurately preserved. I should say that my friend's tagging in a few fields overwrites values (ID3?) that may have come with the original iso. So for instance, rather than the "Classical" value for "genre,' he has "vocal," "choral," "orchestral," "chamber," etc. When I read his files from the portable hard drive, these values are retained, and only the custom tag fields are empty.

If anyone has any experience round-tripping tagged DSD files from Windows to Mac or any troubleshooting hints to resolve this issue, I'd be grateful. I'm quite new to JRMC and computer audio in general, so I may have missed something obvious. But these days I expect proprietary application files or de facto-standard-format files to transmit across platforms without problems, so I trust there's a fix or fixes. Thanks in advance for your help!