IGNORED

ATTENTION Current Mac mini/A+ users: Boot Mavericks from an SD card, load a RAMdisk, dismount your internal SATA drives, and pour a drink for the musicians walking out of your speakers!

The best sound I have EVER gotten. Alive with real energy, but so much quiet and detail that I can hear things going on on old tapes that have never been revealed before. And this in in comparison (several times booting back and forth in astonishment) to what already was the very best method I had: Playing from RAM disk but booted normally from 2.5 inch internal SATA drive (also with externals disconnected).

But are the checksums of the tracks still the same ? (grin)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

So much for those that don't believe that well implemented Computer Audio can eat for breakfast the vast majority of affordable CD players, as well as those tiny thing-a-ma jigs so beloved of Eloise and many others.

Alex

P.S.

All in good fun Eloise. You are one smart lady, even if you are highly sceptical of many things reported in C.A.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

It seems highly likely that an internal SSD powered by a higher quality/ improved PSU will give similar results. Use it with a SATA 3 6GBs screened cable that is no longer than necessary.

Alex

don't know in Windows. There are defragment apps. but use it at you own risk, it's not recommended to unfragment and SSD.

Hi Roch

Windows 8 does auto defragging. I take your point about risks of defragging an SSD, but for just saving favourite tracks, without chopping and changing, it should be fine ?

Kind Regards

Alex

P.S.

I can defrag System RAM using Ashampoo Win Optimiser without restarting the PC.

[As I have said before, any time I use a USB source for the music files--even a thumb drive--I hear the same "jumbling" as the computer is using the USB to talk to both the DAC and file source at the same time. - Alex C.

Agreed. Gordon Rankin also suggests not to use 2 USB processes at the same time.

That's not a problem for me as I use Coax SPDIF from an Asus Xonar D2X to the DAC.

That's nice, but in my experiments, the noise and crap from SATA, FW, or USB are far more of sonic issue.

Alex C.

Why not reserve judgement on this until you hook up your prototype Linear PSU ?

Alex K.

Alex C.

In my experience, when using a good linear PSU, or highly filtered SMPS, it is rare for a track to sound worse to the point it annoys you. It normally just makes the well recorded tracks sound even better.

I will be interested to see your take on this when using squeaky clean, low Z power.

Alex K.

Alex C.

Ideally, you should have an eSata port to do this, and use a shielded eSata to SATA cable if the external unit requires SATA.

The SOtM SATA filter is only a relatively simple C-L-C type filter, which IMO, ideally should have much larger value electros at the output, but these are unavailable in SMD. My own experience with CLC filters is that unless you use at least 4,700uF at the output of the filter, it will cause a small apparent increase in HF detail, which may sound fatiguing with longer listening sessions. This was also my experience with such a filter in line with my internal LG BR writer, and has been confirmed by others.

Regards

Alex K.

P.S.

I will not respond to demands for proof from the usual suspects.

Alex C.

What I was suggesting here is that it may not be a good idea to extend a SATA cable outside the PC unless it is screened, as ESata to Sata cables are. I got a small improvement simply from replacing a longer generic internal Sata cable with a shorter Sata3 6GB/s cable which has 2 separate screened cables in it's construction. I don't have an eSata port in my Windows PC either, although some motherboards have them.

The SOtM SATA filter is just for the power side.

Regards

Alex K.

I had a quick look. You are both braver men than I am !

Hey.....why not eliminate the noisy computer environment and just develop an SD card player even?....no OS required and internal memory could be proprietary for data. You can be the first to bring this megalith to market!

They have been available for quite some time. (check ebay) The Perfect Wave Transport also plays music from 64 KB memory, and uses a similar type of ripping to EAC to read the data first. The one I heard was a very good player, but possibly limited by the ripping stage ?

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/ps-audio-perfectwave-transport-dac

It is possible that Alex C will find far less differences between storage methods after he tries his prototype

linear PSU. Other than perhaps confirming what Alex C. has reported, it may be a good idea to wait until he posts those results before spending big bucks on cards etc.

Alex K.

......I'm being sarcastic as I personally think is all B.S. that SD playback is an improvement over HDD or SSD.

Perhaps you should join George on that trip to Mariposa ? (grin)

Perhaps some of you guys should be saving some money from your own Xmas presents for the New Year instead? (wink)

I suspect that one of those under development Linear PSUs might be a real game changer and likely allow better performance from your existing SSDs etc. without storage compromises etc.

Alex

• 1 month later...
It sounds almost as good from the SSD.

I would be surprised if Alex C and John Swenson's new linear PSUs for the mini didn't bridge that gap.

• 6 months later...
3. As far as I know it can be of importance for the improvement of sound in computer audio to underclock the processor´s speed in order to reduce power consumption.

There is another school of thought that believes that the faster the processor, the less damaging the much higher frequency artifacts/ wideband noise is.

In fact, I thought the direct install might have sounded a bit better than cloning from the HDD to an SD Card, when I compared one to the other. I was reluctant to mention it here for fear of giving evidence to the Grand Inquisitor that would convict me of heresy. Dare I mention one more observation; even Snow Leopard sounded a bit less rough with a direct install to the card. I know I have sealed my fate and piled on fuel for the inquisition.

I guess then that it may not be such a huge leap of faith for you to believe that it may be possible that,( e.g.) a .wav file saved directly to a storage medium, may sound better than the same .wav file saved to a different storage medium , then copied to the new destination, especially if the new destination where the .wav file was saved to directly, is electrically quieter ?

Alex