IGNORED

Squeezebox: Great low jitter network transport?

I think probably the correct answer is that neither I2S nor SPDIF are perfect. Both can be implemented well or badly. You don't buy a DAC because the specs say it has I2S, neither should you buy one because it has 24/192 upsampling, nor because its Non-Oversampling nor any other one statement.

You buy a DAC, or any other piece of audio hardware, because it makes your music sound good.

(Start of campaign to bring back good dealers who can let you test!!)

Eloise

PS. the "ethernet style" connection is properly called an RJ45 connector (though some argue this is still not correct as RJ45 has a specific wiring scheme too which is different from network cabling. Often the cables to connect between such connections when used on audio equipment are not wired the same as standard network cables - though networking cables will usually work the twisted pairs are not correctly paired.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that no-one mentions the possibility of using AES/EBU connections for digital transport since it is a standard in the professional world, superior to S/PDIF in the sense that the clock signal is separated for the digital audio signal, and less subject to jitter than I2S over long distances. It is however not perfect.

Regarding jitter with Squeezebox and Transporter; we haven't made any measure but when we tested the digital S/PDIF output of both devices, we couldn't tell one from the other. If there were differences, they were probably offset by the buffer, reclocking and upsampling of the DAC (MF XDAC V8).

There was however a perceptible (positive) difference once the Transporter was connected to an external Clock (Esoteric G-03x) and to a (better) DAC (Esoteric D-05) using an AES/EBU connection, the SB being connected to the same DAC with its S/PDIF output.

No surprise here.

Low jitter is important only if the DAC is able to convert the flow accurately: an average DAC will level all sources quality and deliver an acceptable message whether the source is jittery or not.

But a good DAC will deliver an excellente message if the source comes with low jitter.

Sources like the SB have an "acceptable" jitter level, don't worry about it, you won't hear it

unless you have a high level DAC, but also a fantastic amp, great speakers, and some room correction.

Just for clarification:

As with the S/P-DIF, the AES/EBU does carry also the clock embedded in the bi-phase signal. Only the signal amplitude (typical 5 – 10 times higher), the load resistance (110 Ohm / 75 Ohm) are different and the protocol is different, but compatible. So the jitter of AES/EBU and S/P-DIF is similar, but still a bit better with AES/EBU because of a shorter transition time (due to the higher voltage) and a better signal symmetry (because of a symmetrical driver).

And using Word Clock is possible with both, AES/EBU and S/P-DIF, but mostly found only in pro units.

Juergen

"Interesting that no-one mentions the possibility of using AES/EBU connections for digital transport since it is a standard in the professional world..."

Yes, i find that the sound from the AES/EBU out of the Transporter (to a good DAC like Weiss or Berkeley, even the bryston) is very very nice. I'm looking to try an external clock (TP has word clock port) but don't own one. Steve's Pace Car is a candidate but his eval policy is still evolving. What decent clock should I try via Sweetwater, etc (i.e 30 day return policy)?

Thx

Ted

I use AES/EBU most of the time into my Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC. The Lynx AES16 and AES16e are really nice AES cards for this purpose.

Ted - I've used the Antelope Audio Isochrone OCX before and really liked the outcome. Here is the Sweetwater link http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCX/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

i'm a clock dummy....so sorry 'bout this:

so even though the Transporter has what it calls a word clock input, I can still use a master clock like the Isochrone (i.e not a word clock)? So AES/EBU (or BNC Spdif) out to Isochrone, then isochrone has two cables, one to TP's word clock input (spdif) and one to DAC (AES/EBu or whatever)?? And then do I switch something on external clock when changing resolution (not needed currently, both TP and DAC synch up automagically)???

Thx

Ted

Since I love the supposedly low jitter sound of the Transporter digital outs (esp AES/EBu and BNC SPDIF), love the fact that i get to keep my GUI intact (Itouch app called iPeng that mimics iTunes-like Remote into Squeeze Center), and have eval'd a number of DACs this way (along with pc as server/player, too just more hassle)....a stupid question:

to listen and demo DACs like the Ayre and/or Wavelength (USB only) without dragging in my pc server and Foobar, is there a capability to convert spdif to USB (I know, wrong way!!).

is the best way to connect . As I auditioned the Weiss DACII, I compared AES 110 ohm, BNC to RCA 75 ohm, Toslink via Audioquest optilink aswell as Firewire.

For my setup the AES_EBU connection beeing the winner.

Whenever possible either go AES_EBU or Toslink for digital connection.

75 ohm SPDIF is only possible with BNC connectors, which nobody uses anymore on their gear. Dont know why, since a normal BNC connector is outperforming a WBT nextgen RCA plug on digital SPDIF connection at a friction of price.

Make sure that you get BNC connectors for wordclock connection. RCA is no good for this type of connection.

Just my 1 cent.

Best....EMW
Audirvana Plus ->15"MBP 16GB 1TB SSD -> USB-> Intona USB Isolator -> USB -> Chord DAC ->Borbely Balanced Preamp->Active X-over-> 4 Class A Monoamps->3 Way SpeakerHeavens SE