IGNORED

Cheap music server power tweak that is VERY good.

TJHUB

If the external HDD also contains stored music, and not just Data, the power source does matter.

I didn't know music was nothing but data before being streamed? Thus if not streaming from the HDD, then it's just data and the power source doesn't matter as long as it's not the same power source as the streaming components.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I didn't know music was nothing but data before being streamed? Thus if not streaming from the HDD, then it's just data and the power source doesn't matter.

I am not going to waste my time further arguing with you over this.

Many people have verified that Linear PSUs offer advantages with external storage devices, even those with CD/DVD writers inside, over the SMPS plugpacks normally supplied with them, or external storage cases. Many external SMPS plugpacks have very poor voltage regulation as well, with supplies having both a +12V and a +5V output typically only regulating the +5V output, with the +12V output often varying as much as 1V under varying load conditions.

Linear PSUs for external devices also result in much less RF/EMI being sent back into the AC mains sewer.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I am not going to waste my time further arguing with you over this.

Many people have verified that Linear PSUs offer advantages with external storage devices, even those with CD/DVD writers inside, over the SMPS plugpacks normally supplied with them, or external storage cases. Many external SMPS plugpacks have very poor voltage regulation as well, with supplies having both a +12V and a +5V output typically only regulating the +5V output, with the +12V output often varying as much as 1V under varying load conditions.

Linear PSUs for external devices also result in much less RF/EMI being sent back into the AC mains sewer.

Who and where?? Your the only one I've ever heard make such claims on this forum. Well maybe a couple other folks, lol. I agree it's a waste of time arguing. I'm over it already.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Who and where?? Your the only one I've ever heard make such claims on this forum. Well maybe a couple other folks, lol. I agree it's a waste of time arguing. I'm over it already.

Most off the shelf PC's have crappy power supplies designed for gaming and electrically compromised MOBO's which introduce noise affecting real time system performance. Using a quality power supply helps for real time performance applications like audio playback.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Most off the shelf PC's have crappy power supplies designed for gaming and electrically compromised MOBO's which introduce noise affecting real time system performance. Using a quality power supply helps for real time performance applications like audio playback.

What does this have to do with separately powered hard drives used for data only? Nobody here is disputing clean separate power for streaming components.

Surely you've been here long enough to know that real time playback isn't what Alex is talking about.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Hi

That is good news. In hindsight you could have used both those black wires in parallel in this case.

Unfortunately, I also agree with SimoneF that a powerpack is far from the quietest battery source available, although it does provide isolation from the internal power supply. It would is possible to obtain further small audible improvements if the powerpack's DC output was further filtered, but you would need to have some DIY experience.

Although maximum volume will not normally sound louder, you will now have the appearance of a greater dynamic range with some material. If you are also using an internal SSD for music storage, the same methods will further improve SQ.

Regards

Alex

Now my music is kept in a 2.5 inch portable HDD connected to the audio PC by a "normal" USB 3.0 cable. So I already plan an internal SSD for music storage but for me only a 2Tb or more would make sense to do so, and the cost for such is still quite high. Maybe a small 3.5 inch external HDD or NAS powered by LPSU can do any good in this regard? Accidentally I have at hand a 12V 2A LPSU which seem enough for a WD 4Tb, single disk MyCloud.

Surely you've been here long enough to know that real time playback isn't what Alex is talking about.

Only somebody like Kumakuma would play audio directly from a CD/DVD Rom, whether internal or external ! Most members here do now accept that computer audio markedly improves in all aspects, even when exported via USB, if very clean Linear Power is used to replace original SMPS.

How many members use SMPS with their servers, other than perhaps on pure cost grounds ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Using a LPSU to power a hard drive has no logical sense. In fact all the people that think that a LPSU for the hard drive does matter, none of them can explain you why.

I think it is better to study first how the data is processed from the hard drive to the dac before using a LPSU everywhere. (I saw people using a linear psu to power case fans; yeah you understood right.... Fans)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Only somebody like Kumakuma would play audio directly from a CD/DVD Rom, whether internal or external

What are you talking about? I stopped playing CDs in 2001 when the SliMP3 came out.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Only somebody like Kumakuma would play audio directly from a CD/DVD Rom, whether internal or external ! Most members here do now accept that computer audio markedly improves in all aspects, even when exported via USB, if very clean Linear Power is used to replace original SMPS.

How many members use SMPS with their servers, other than perhaps on pure cost grounds ?

For my main music pc which stores music files in raid 5 runs Hqplayer, Mac minis for GP computing are as stock as you can get with unchanged SMPS everywhere. These devices are powered from an Online UPS and are isolated from the music system with USB treatment.

I figured it's all to hard to clean up the mess inside a computer, far easier although takes some time to get right, to isolate the Pc from audio systems.

Each to their own level and comfort as to how to tackle the noise issue.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I got my answers for how bad a wall wart and a mobile power bank is or how a good a linear power supply is

I have got a teradak linear PSU for few days on loan from a friend

I am using raspberry pi running moode audio 2.5

Muisc is stored in a thumb drive connected diretc to raspberry. Hifiberry digi+ is also connected to raspberry

What should I say ? :)

The raspberry pi is outputting some serious sound

I myself can't believe my setup can sound so good or there can be such vast change in sq by only providing good power to music PC working as transport

I am lucky that a hardcore diyer has agreed to make me a lpsu to power my raspberry and external powred hdd

I got my answers for how bad a wall wart and a mobile power bank is or how a good a linear power supply is

Muisc is stored in a thumb drive connected diretc to raspberry. Hifiberry digi+ is also connected to raspberry

I myself can't believe my setup can sound so good or there can be such vast change in sq by only providing good power to music PC working as transport

I am lucky that a hardcore diyer has agreed to make me a lpsu to power my raspberry and external powred hdd

Your improved results are pleasing to see.

You are a lucky man having someone make a Linear PSU for you, as there are quite a few man hours involved in making a good quality and presentable Linear PSU, and DIYers pay WAY more for the components than a manufacturer.

I have previously made a couple for friends as a gift.

As a Pi and Dig+ owner (feeding a naim dac), I really wished you hadn't posted this.....MUST RESIST

Hi John

I know we all are on a never ending quest to improve our setups sound :)

But believe this is worth it. How do your power the pi as of now ?

The teradak lps I tried out is available for USD 44 from a hong Kong site. That's not too much money too

I will find the site address and post it here in some time

must resist

Futile! :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

As a Pi and Dig+ owner (feeding a naim dac), I really wished you hadn't posted this.....MUST RESIST

Here you go

Be sure to order correct voltage according to which country you are in :)

http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route%3Dproduct/product%26product_id%3D64&ei=5ftMkPkl&lc=en-IN&s=1&m=41&host=www.google.co.in&ts=1458096051&sig=APY536xElIefpT9yVRo0tElMyg4t0j2rMg

Deleted.

rikhav - Are you using the Teradac that you linked to with a pi? And did you need to make any adjustments to it, or just plug the pi into the 5V usb power output and that's it? - Thanks

Absolutely zero adjustments on the PSU side

I have bypassed the fuse and protection circuit of the pi. That's not necessary but upon you if you want to do it. Personally did not have issue of any sort

But its not needed to power the pi by the teradak supply

Also powered a peachtree dac through 12 volt dc out along with raspberry pi by 5 volt usb out. No issues at all. Both played well

M U S T R E S I S T

Your order was placed.

We'll send you a confirmation email soon.

I A M W E A K

John and rikhav,

Were you able to purchase with Paypal or did you use a credit card? I tried to go through PP and the vendor was not able to accept payments. thanks

I had borrowed the PSU from my friend to try it out. He has not purchased it from the site link I have postwd. But my other friend has ordered two. He stays in Singapore

I can confirm with you and post back