IGNORED

Cheap music server power tweak that is VERY good.

TJHUB

• 2 weeks later...

alright, so this works, with an Ankar battery, and a simple splice of a USB connector and the SATA power connector you can get a significant improvement with your SSD OS disk that no one should pass on. Which begs the question;

could one gain similar improvements powering a 1-2TB SATA internal HD for media using battery instead of MB power? From what I've seen in this thread a SATA HD uses multiple DC voltages (3,5,12?) and I'm sure the current draw is higher for HD so this sounds like a more complex power source to find.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...

So I've been running both the OS SSD and the 2.5" HD off the Ankar Pro now for few weeks. This is excellent but I would like to further isolate the drives current draw by having separate power source for each. Assuming I keep the SSD on the Ankar, which makes more sense for the media HD, buy a second Ankar or buy the Teradak Linear power supply?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 months later...

unfortunately I've outgrown the Ankar, really need a pristine wall powered source that can power 3 USB powered SATA drives as well as provide external power for an asynch USB converter. Anyone have something like this they are happy with compared to the Ankar? I'd hate to think RedWine power supplies are the only option.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

.....I tried above tests with charger plugged in and disconnected from Anker - no perceived difference (so all further tests were done with charger plugged in as it means that the Anker doesn't shut down ....

Thanks again all,

Crom

I will have to go back and try this again as I did have my battery die powering 2 sata drives even with power supply plugged in... the Ankar i have has 2 1A USB ports. It may also be that this can charge faster than the drain for 1 but not 2, will experiment.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 years later...
Who and where?? Your the only one I've ever heard make such claims on this forum. Well maybe a couple other folks, lol. I agree it's a waste of time arguing. I'm over it already.

Most off the shelf PC's have crappy power supplies designed for gaming and electrically compromised MOBO's which introduce noise affecting real time system performance. Using a quality power supply helps for real time performance applications like audio playback.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system