IGNORED

Cheap music server power tweak that is VERY good.

TJHUB

Ted, can you be specific as to which power supply you are using to power the Peng USB card? I need to get one.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Oh, so I could use my CI Audio power supply made for my squeezebox and just have a custom cable made? I know that power supply would be very clean.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

It is 2.5A so I am ok. I am just struggling trying to figure out how I am going to make the cable. Does anyone know of a good on line place that'll make random cables?

You can make your own SATA power cable pretty easily. Just need to gently crimp (no need even for the expensive crimp tool, needle nose pliers and a little skill can do it) and solder wires to the following parts available at mouser.com:

538-67582-0000 (SATA power connector housing)

538-67581-0000 (SATA terminal connectors)

Thanks. I think for the Peng USB card I need a molex connector.

I am using a picoPSU with a 192W adapter for it. The adapter didn't have a barrel connector which works better with my Streacom case. So, they sent me another adapter but it is makes noise, unlike the first. So, in my quest for a silent unit, end to end, I have a loud power supply. Needless to say, I won't use it. Any suggestions here?

• 1 month later...

With 10 days off from work I now have the time to play with my PC server. First up is powering the SSD wth the Anker E4. Similar to what others have experienced, the change is not subtle. I am not saying that things now sound "great" as opposed to them not sounding great before, but the sound has changed. The bass is definitely more pronounced. The sound stage has changed and the music sounds more silky. Please don't ask me to define that. (but to me, analog sounds silky as compared to digital).

This would all be more fun if we all lived closer to one another.

• 2 weeks later...
Could someone go into a little more detail on how to make the cable and how it connects to the drive?

I get that you need a usb cable and cut off one end exposing bare wires but which ones are the power and what sata connector do I need to buy to connect them?

Here is a picture of the wire configuration. http://media.bestofmicro.com/Power-Supply-Fundamentals,8-I-312642-13.jpg

And here is where you can get the connector. FrozenCPU ConnectRight DIY SATA EZ Crimp Connector - Black - 90° (M-SCA-16F-BK) - FrozenCPU.com

Does others find that it takes 8+ hours for the Anker E4 to fully charge? Maybe I need a better USB charger.

Its a big battery, so it does take over 8 hours to charge unless you use the recommended 1.5A charger. I've been using my iPad 2.1A charger. I haven't charged it lately to time it, but I only have to charge it once every 4 to 6 weeks.

Mine is definitely not lasting 4-6 weeks, but I am also charging it once it hits 1 light.

David, see post 93 in this thread for an alternative to recharging as well as a link for an inexpensive rapid charger.

Thanks Nicholas. I had read that post and will try that. I wasn't in the market for a charger then so I missed the link!

On the 1A side, my E4 never shuts down.

That's been my experience as well.

• 2 years later...

What "batteries' are people using these days to power SSDs? I really like the concept of the Bakoon battery which can be plugged in all the time but it is discontinued. I became tired of constantly having to recharge the Anker batteries. Is there a product that works like the Bakoon and others have tried?

If you are interested in a bakoon I have one that I am currently not using and I might be persuaded to part with it ;-)

I sent you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any risk in powering an SSD with a battery which delivers between 5.5 and 6V?

Why not just get one that powers from 3.3V for the OS. Then you could hook up a single battery and have that charged by a cheap switching power supply.

I thought about doing this but why? I really don't think your going to gain much if you already have great galvanic isolation and galvanic isolated power downstream of the PC. Just powering the SSD separately of the mobo with an LPS is sufficient.

I already have a 6V Bakoon BPS-02 so I figured I would use it for the SSD. I want to be sure that the extra voltage won't be an issue. It only measures at 5.5V so I am hoping it is ok.