IGNORED

Amarra ...Does anyone work there..or use a phone...or computer

Amarra works fine on my computer, but Amarra Mini is unable to find a valid iLok Security Key, so it runs with the annoying intermittent cutouts.

I have uninstalled each one before installing the other so as to start with a clean install on my computer. Is the iLok Security Key not good for Amarra Mini? Obviously I trying to evaluate both under the 30 day trial period but this is frustrating.

That's the bad thing about copy protection, when it doesn't work you're screwed. Actually the USB dongle may cause headaches for other Mac laptop users. My MacBook Pro only has 2 USB ports. I am using one for a USB DAC and I would like to use my USB mouse but I can't with Amarra. If I had a USB external drive, Amarra would be a nonstarter for my laptop. Fortunately I have a firewire external drive but it is still a pain to disconnect my mouse when using Amarra.

Why can't Sonic Studio offer a software license key like many other software companies instead of a hardware dongle? I find USB hardware dongle to be very useful when you have several computers and users and need an easy way to authenticate proper license and use, but I don't believe most Amarra users are going to be switching computers or lending their USB locks to others.

The warning to "keep your iLok safe as if it is broken, lost or stolen without Zero Downtime Coverage, there will be a full license charge to replace your Amarra license" just illustrates the problem if your key is not insured for full value. Personally I would find it ridiculous if I didn't have insurance and I sent Sonic Studio my broken iLok and they charged me $1000 for a new iLok. Of course it is their company and they can charge anything they want but that's not a fair price.

What license do you have on you iLok key? Is it a 30-day demo for the full version or for the mini version? If you want to demo the mini version, you'll need to get that demo license on the key. Honestly, I don't see the point. If you can use the full version for 30 days, you have everything you need to make a full evaluation. Sonic Studio told me -- straight from Jon R. -- that the Mini Version has an IDENTICAL sound engine, except for the fact that it will not play back anything over 24/96. The full version adds digital (dithered) volume control and EQ functions. So ... honestly, if I were you, I would just stick with demoing the full version.

If you really want to evaluate the Mini version, then you will need the demo license for it. If you went through a dealer, the dealer will help you. If you went direct to Sonic Studio to get your iLok key, then you'll have to go back to them to request that they deposit the demo license into your iLok account. Then it is simply a matter of logging into iLok.com, downloading the license and synchronizing it to your physical key. Simple as that.

I totally hear you on the dongle. But the iLok key is the only method of software protection that has been able to stand up to software piracy. The iLok has been in use for several years in the professional studio market. Virtually all the major studio plugins for Pro Tools and Logic use iLok protection. And some of those plugins that studios use cost well over $7,500 ... You should have heard THEM complain in the beginning. But over time, people have grown to accept the iLok and deal with it. It is also a universal system supported by many players in the professional market. This is partly why Sonic Studio use it ... They come from the professional world. And it is a very reliable and stable form of copy protection. If you need a spare USB slot, you can get a hub for very little money. In fact, I believe there are cheapo cables that have 2-4 USB slots, so that is an easy fix. And if you had a USB drive, don't most of them also have a USB port for the purpose of daisy chaining additional drives? You could connect the drive via USB to the computer, and connect the dongle to the drive (perhaps you'll need a cheapo USB cable, but nothing expensive).

So ... I totally hear you. But, so long as you are using this in your home, I see no reason why you should be concerned. If the iLok key breaks, you will NOT have to buy a new license. You can contact Sonic Studio, provide them with your iLok key and they can get you a new one for only the price of an iLok dongle (currently $50). If you lose it, though, then you would have to pay, because there is no way to know whether you had sold it or given it away. I don't use Zero Downtime, and I have 35 licenses on my iLok key for as many software programs and plugins (worth over $50,000). I just make sure to take good care of it.

Good luck, and if you have other suggestions, please share them with us.

Sanjay Patel | Ciamara Corporation | New York, NY | www.ciamara.com

Also, just to be clear ... Zero Downtime is a feature mainly targeting professional studios that run 24/7 with recording artists. It is a system to ensure "zero downtime," so if an iLok is broken, then iLok will deposit TEMPORARY licenses onto a new dongle, so that the studio can keep running and charging $1000/hour, or whatever it is they charge. In the meantime, the iLok key must still be evaluated, and permanent licenses restored to a new dongle.

The process is the same without the Zero Downtime insurance, except that you don't get temporary licenses. You'd have to wait to get a replacement iLok with the full license. If you are dealing with only one company for one license, I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't lose the key! And you may want to check, but some computers actually have a physical USB port internally. For desktops, you can get a cheap PCI or PCIe card with internal, as well as external USB ports.

I had the same issue in terms of needing more USB ports then offered on either of my MacBooks... so off the nearest Office Depot and for under $5 I bought a USB hub that has four ports. With its 6" cable, it sits perfectly out of the way under the MacBook and allows me to plug in my wireless mouse transmitter, iLok and anything else needing USB connectivity. Any DAC in house is tethered to the other USB port on the Mac.

Dave Clark[br]Editor, Positive Feedback Online

I am just repeating the information I received directly from Sonic Studio. Their policy notice states that if the iLok is broken, lost or stolen without the optional coverage there will be a full license charge to replace your Amarra license. If the broken issue does not apply to home users that’s great.

Regarding the USB ports I may have been referring to something I read regarding the iLok not working on USB hubs, though the iLok website states that if all of your USB ports are used, you will need to purchase a powered USB hub and they highly recommend that you use powered rather than non-powered hubs. It’s good to hear that using an external USB hub for the iLok is not a problem.

I must have the full version though the instructions on the document I received from Sonic Studio provided a link to the Amarra Mini installer, which I tried and did not work. However I stated that the full version of Amarra did work so if the trial hardware I have is just for the full Amarra version, that’s what I have.

I probably will not be interested in the Amarra Mini mainly because I don’t like the GUI. I don’t mind the lack of volume or EQ features since I would never use them. And while I originally did not like Amarra Mini being limited to 24/96 the fact is, except for a brief time when I had a 24/192 FW Apogee DAC for evaluation, my digital output from my Mac is 24/96. That’s one of the reasons why I explored Windows solutions that would provide excellent 24/192 digital output without stepping up to the Weiss DAC2 since I found the Apogee DAC wanting.

The Amarra Mini visual interface does nothing for me. I would like to at least see the sound file information, the device information and the meters that the full version of Amarra provides. But these features are hardly worth an additional $600.

Since you asked for my suggestions, I suggest that Sonic Studio not change the visual interface but just do what other software products do by graying out those disabled functions. However if Sonic Studio feels that Amarra Mini should not provide the sound file information, the device information and the meters that’s obviously their decision to make and my decision to accept or not.

>While we are on the subject, if anyone else has suggestions, comments or concerns,

>please voice them and I will feed them back to the company.

This had been mentioned before, but it's important. Amarra inserts silences between tracks that are supposed to run together. This affects a fair amount of music, including a lot of live recordings. If you have much live Grateful Dead in your collection, as I do, you will agree that this needs to be fixed ASAP.

I know that ALAC support is coming. What about MP3 -- is that even possible? I like to listen to Internet radio through my server, which I control via an iPod Touch. When switching from MP3 radio back to AIFF files, i find that I have to manually turn the iTunes volume down so that Amarra is doing all of the playback. If you've used the volume function in the Apple Remote app, you know what a PITA that is.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Great point. That silence is an issue with classical too, so I will definitely bring that up.

As for MP3s ... when you play ALAC, MP3, AAC, etc. from iTunes, Amarra simply sits idle while iTunes takes over. I'm not sure why you'd want a high resolution playback engine for a lossy format like MP3, but I guess it could help with imaging. I will bring that up. FLAC is key too, since so many high res download services provide files in FLAC, and converting to AIFF is an extra step we don't all like to do.

I just spoke with the company. They said they check email every day, with few exceptions. So any users that are having trouble should feel free to contact the company directly. That said, I am happy to help too.

Sanjay -- to clarify...

It's not that I want a high resolution engine for MP3 playback (although why not, it couldn't hurt). What I want to avoid is this, as seen from the iPod Touch:

-> Choose MP3 content

-> Amarra lays back, iTunes volume kicks in

-> Choose AIFF content

-> iTunes volume remains at full tilt, has to be turned down manually

I hope this makes sense.

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

This is actually unusual behavior. The volume control on iTunes is supposed to automatically switch back to zero when an AIFF file is played. If have a chance, please send your configuration information to us or directly to SonicStudio, and the company will work on this bug. Sorry about this!

Just a word to say let's give companies a break who are trying to put out a product we LIKE and also at a PRICE we think is reasonable. Isn't it the quality that matters most to us? If so, I for one am willing to give them some leeway when it comes to getting right back to me. I'd rather have them put whatever resources they have into development than in an always-on customer service rep. Otherwise, the price will just go up further.

My iLock is registered with Sonic Studio at the iLock site. Sanjay, do you suggest I buy the insurance plan $30 for replacement if it breaks? I don't think SS replaces a broken iLock.

Thanks

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

My understanding is that that benefit of the insurance policy -- i.e. Zero Downtime -- is that it enables you to immediately receive temporary licenses on a spare iLok key until such time as the broken iLok is verified and the licenses are restored to the iLok account. I personally do not use the service, even though have multiple licenses on iLok key and in my iLok account for many different software products. The USB key never leaves the showroom and is physically attached to my Mac Pro with a wire to prevent it from growing legs.

It is a personal decision. If in the event of a problem with your key, you can deal with being out of commission for a week or two while the USB key is sent back to SS for evaluation, and if you can deal with buying a new dongle for $50, then I might not bother. If you prefer to have total peace of mind, then $30/year will give you that.

Hope that helps.

Hi Chris,

Interesting. I just tried the following using Build 3162:

> Launched Amarra (iTunes set to launch automatically)

> Played an AIFF file (Amarra took over, iTunes volume went to Zero)

> Played an MP3 file (Amarra goes into idle mode and iTunes volume went to Max)

> Played another AIFF file (Amarra took over, iTunes volume went to Zero)

The same works with other formats, such as Apple Lossless, ALAC, etc .... At least on this machine:

Mac OS X 10.5.8

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

13 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

If this is happening to people, feel free to let SS know. Clearly, this is nobody's obligation, but if you have the time, they do appreciate receiving feedback so they can improve their code. Thanks and good luck everyone!