I've been hearing great things about this but I'm hoping some of you can answer a few questions about it before I sell my Lavry DA-10.

1. I assume the dual analogue outputs, XLR and RCA, output the same source simultaneously. Manual doesn't really explain dual-wire mode that well; I assume some online reviews would clear this up. I would be pushing 24/96 so maybe it's not an issue.

2. Also hoping that since I have used Vista x86 drivers on Windows 7 x86 successfully, that the same would hold true for the Weiss drivers when installed on an x64 Windows 7 machine.

3. I see the unit has (2) firewire inputs. How does this work. Can I hook up two sources via firewire and see two unique Windows Sound devices?

4. Which unit is the current one. The Weiss site has a different one than what is shown on Vintage King. Weiss shows one with LEDS for sample rate.

5. My A. Reader is jacked so I can't see the manual; dimensions anyone?

6. Anyone own this unit that owned a Lavry or Benchmark. I gather this unit sounds as good as a 7k DAC from the people I have talked to; your impressions?

THANKS!

hifitubes

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Hi hifitubes

- Yes, it puts out the analog signal on both RCA and XLR simultanously.

- The dual wire mode is an AES standard which allows to transmit signals with high sampling rates on two AES/EBU connections instead of one. Left and Right are separated onto two connections. The DAC2 supports that standard for 176.4k or 192k signals, i.e. it can be switched to dual wire for those frequencies (internal jumper setting).

- It does not yet work on Windows 7, as the Firewire support on Windows 7 is not yet what it should be. I guess once Windows 7 is officially released it will work (hopefully...)

- Firewire is a bus. (I.e. not just point to point as USB). So with the two connectors one can cascade units on that bus. E.g. you could hook up several DAC2 units to a single computer.

- The current one is the one with the 4 LEDs.

- Dimensions I can't tell right now as I am abroad and the manual does not say that either.... Have to put it in there.

Daniel

www.weiss.ch

(and have one on order for purchase, pending a sale of another piece of gear) and I can tell you it is leagues better than the Benchmark DAC. It is more involving, more liquid, more organic, more detailed, more micro-detailed, more musical. Although these comparisons were not on the same day, they were with the same components in the same room. And I feel 100% confident in my evaluation because it wasn't close. I can't compare to a Lavry, sorry.

The newest units have the sample rate leds on the front panel and the flathead screw attenuator on the back (for more precise gain matching). Jeff Fritz's review says it's approx. 9"W x 2"H x 12" deep. I've already turned one new customer (Rydenfan) onto the DAC2, and have a couple more who've been amazed by it! Go forth with all speed and get one! :)

Ted (I am not a dealer or even yet a customer, so no official or unofficial affiliation with Weiss)

Garsh, I'm tempted to check one out but I'm leaning towards the Proton now. If I could find a DAC2 used, I'd jump, but right now even 2800 for a demo is too much.

I tried to find the DAC2 review here, but doesn't seem to be many new reviews of DACs posted here by Chris; maybe I just missed it.

Anyway, thanks for the report, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for one.

hifitubes

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

My DAC2 is the newest version with the newest faceplate. It does have a flathead attenuation screw on the back with 4 different volume settings. However, it is much more of a set the correct volume to your system and forget it then it is a volume control. I think of it more as a gain setting really and then use the volume on my pre-amp to adjust accordingly.

hifitubes, I believe you are now a TBLS member. I am not a member but am friendly with some of those guys. I am in Sarasota if you want to hear the DAC2 in action :)

Yes, I'm sure. The rotary switch (a small flathead screw) sits next to the analog outs and is featured in the DAC2 V3 manual update on the Weiss site. As Rydenfan mentions, it's a gain match setting, not a volume control. I'm sure when Daniel and the gang get around to the firmware that allows for bit-perfect testing they'll call that V4? The manuals are getting better, but have a way to go. I'm glad they spend the $$ on the DAC. :)

Ted

Thanks for the offer on the Weiss DAC2, I was going to go with a Proton, then considered a custom made Bufallo DAC with the Sabre ESS, and now I have settled on a Peachtree Nova (demo) which is basically a tubed DAC or SS DAC depending on how it is used. The HT bypass feature means I can use the built-in amp for the outdoor speakers and retain the NOVA as a DAC/preamp for my 2channel.

hifitubes

option when holding down power switch). That's described in V2 (and V3) manuals.

A remote option would be nice, with input switching and volume control (like the Berkeley) but not if the price is bumped too high.

Ted

Hi everyone

I am very interested by the DAC2 and was ready to place my order but I have the opportunity to acquire for the same price a used DAC1 MK2.

I would be using a Toslink for the start before switching later on for firewire... Plan is to use it with a mac mini.

What do you think? Should I go for the DAC1?

Thanks for your help and for this great forum...

I once had a demo DAC 2 at home and compared Toslink, AES/EBU, SPDIF and Firewire. The difference between Toslink and FW is not big. My wife prefered Toslink. My favorite was AES/EBU. I think the Dac1 has a better jitter elimination circuit (which you need for the MacMini toslink) and a better output stage.

Best....EMW
Audirvana Plus ->15"MBP 16GB 1TB SSD -> USB-> Intona USB Isolator -> USB -> Chord DAC ->Borbely Balanced Preamp->Active X-over-> 4 Class A Monoamps->3 Way SpeakerHeavens SE

Were you using the same type of cable during your comparison? As that could certainly effect your results. I liked AES/EBU is some ways better than Firewire but in other aspects I preferred the Firewire. However, I was using a very expensive interconnect as my AES/EBU cable while using a very cheap Firewire cable. So I think that had some to do with the results. I wish more companies made a nice Firewire cable.

for AES/EBU and FW ???? You know what I mean))).

For AES/EBU I used a standard 110 ohm PTFE Belden cable with Neutrik XLR connectors with silver contacts.

FW cable was a "standard" cable.

Toslink had been an Audioquest glass wire.

SPDIF again 75 ohm Belden PTFE solid core wire with WBT nextgen silver plugs.

For best sonic result for diycables use Wondersolder Ultra clear (dont use leadfree).

Comparison were done:

A. My CD drive to DAC 2 with AES/EBU, Toslink, SPDIF.

B. MacBook to DAC 2 with FW and Toslink.

Best....EMW
Audirvana Plus ->15"MBP 16GB 1TB SSD -> USB-> Intona USB Isolator -> USB -> Chord DAC ->Borbely Balanced Preamp->Active X-over-> 4 Class A Monoamps->3 Way SpeakerHeavens SE