IGNORED

Free ONKYO HF Player App for IOS: Plays High Res Up To DSD*(DoP),FLAC, WAV

CoolHand

I assume this app will only work if you plug an external DAC into your iOS device (one capable of playing 24/192 PCM).

It "works" (in that it plays back music - PCM, DSD, all bit rates - via the internal DAC on the iDevice) just fine ;) but it resamples all input to 16/48 as necessary.

It only streams at the higher rates (and DSD vis DoP) if a compatible DAC is attached (via CCK, etc.).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I downloaded the HF App last week and believe its a big improvement over the FLAC Player App which i've used on an iPhone 3s, 4s and 5s. Downside is it's a bit more difficult to delete music files. I can live with that to gain the upsampling to 48 and the ability to play 96 files. Question I have is what DAC in the $200 range that doesn't require a USB hub between the DAC and iPhone to work. There is a lot of talk about this at Head-Fi forum "http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck"

The answer is the new iFi iDSD, for $189. I made an entry with details here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/opinions-integrated-digital-analogue-converter-headamp-direct-stream-digital-18862/

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

• 1 month later...

O.k. here is my problem. I can not find that damn sync button that is suppost to be in the Onkyo HF player's setting screen!!! Does one need to buy the full version first? Here is what I did. I download the free Onkyo HF player app on my iPad air, downloaded iTunes and dBpoweramp Cd ripper on my PC. Since I have no music on iTunes, I ripped some CDs as Flac lossless uncompressed to my Music Folder. Sync my iPad to iTunes on my computer. From the Apps button, click on the Onkyo HF player under File Sharing, click on Add button to get my ripped Flac music from my Music Folder and click Add again to load songs on the lower right side screen. But there is no sync button on my free Onkyo HF player's setting. I did try the sync button just below the Add button in iTunes but nothing happen.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Don't worry, be happy!!! I bought the pay version of Onkyo HF player. The sync button is now there in setting. Loaded some tunes, everything working great.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Glad that worked. I don't have any experience with the free version, so couldn't help you out. It's a nice player but wish they would uPnP enable it so you could just access files on a bluetooth HD instead of having to go through the download and sync process. My iPhone runs out of space pretty quickly but I have a 1TB Seagate portable that I bring with me on trips with video and music loaded on it. No way to access it from the Onkyo player.

Thanks Ksalno, I'm still learning. Can you or anyone else explain how to delete a song or whole album on the Onkyo HF player?

2 Ch stereo

Thanks Ksalno, I'm still learning. Can you or anyone else explain how to delete a song or whole album on the Onkyo HF player?

From in the player you can delete songs for sure, not sure about whole albums. For example, from within the HD tab, select an album. Across the top of the screen is a bar with the album title in the center and a right arrow inside a white square on the right side of the bar. Click on the arrow or just select the song you want to delete. The next screen will have the same bar across the top but this time it will display the song title. On the right side there will now be an icon of 3 stacked horizontal lines, click on that icon. Now below the song title bar the will be two menu choices, "Save as Playlist" and "Edit". Below the menu is a list of all the songs on that album. If you click on "Edit" a red minus sign will appear next to each song. Click on the red icon for any songs you want to delete and a Delete icon will show up on the right side. Click that and the song is gone.

Not sure if there are any shortcuts or ways to delete an album at a time. There may also be a way to do it from iTunes but I haven't tried that.

Karl

Wow! Thanks Karl.

2 Ch stereo

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Herus DAC will work with CCK on the iPhone 4S.

Native DSD on iPhone and USB Audio on Android with HERUS | Resonessence

2 Ch stereo

• 2 weeks later...

Once hires songs are added to the sync queue in the App area of iTunes (on the computer), songs to be sync'ed to the iDevice, how do you clear or delete songs from the list?

... Cal

-----

i7 Mac Mini > USB > iDSD Nano > Audioengine A5+

Sounds great and should be well wicked with the fully mobile iDSD from iFi Audio or the HERUS from Resonessence Labs !

The user interface is well sorted and album artwork displays very nicely too.

It includes a super fly phase-linear FIR equalizer, which offers 16,384 discrete bands of equalization with "zero loss in audio quality".

The user simply shapes their desired frequency curve with a finger on the touchscreen to manipulate bass, mid-bass, mid-range, and treble response.

Presets may be created to suit a particular musical genre, artist, album, or pair of headphones and can be saved, swapped, and loaded in moments.

* In-App Purchase Enables 192 kHz/24-bit DSD*, FLAC, WAV Playback on iOS

* Optimized EQ Presets Created by Celebrated Musicians for Onkyo Headphones

Onkyo | Onkyo HF Player App Offers Precision Equalizer, 192/24 Playback on iOS Devices

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/onkyo-hf-player/id704139896?mt=8

I downloaded this free app. Sounds great. It appears my purchased itunes files got up sampled automatically to 16/48. If I purchase the in-app upgrade AND begin using an external DAC, will those same itunes AAC files automatically get up sampled at a higher rate (e.g 24/96, 24/192?) Thanks for the help.

• 2 years later...

hi - having a few problems with this app; I have downloaded the free version to my iPhone 4s to try out before committing to the hd version (to use with flacs in particular). The app shows up in iTunes and I have dropped some mp3s and alac files into the document section as per instructions and then synched; but nothing appears in the app on my phone tried re-instaling etc but nothing. Is my phone too old/unsupported or am I doing/not doing something wrong? thanks for any help

hi - having a few problems with this app; I have downloaded the free version to my iPhone 4s to try out before committing to the hd version (to use with flacs in particular). The app shows up in iTunes and I have dropped some mp3s and alac files into the document section as per instructions and then synched; but nothing appears in the app on my phone tried re-instaling etc but nothing. Is my phone too old/unsupported or am I doing/not doing something wrong? thanks for any help

The iOS version of the Onkyo HF app uses the standard iTunes sync mechanism for non-Hi Res tracks. You only need to drop files into the document section of the app if they are Hi Res. As you can only play Hi Res tracks if you have the paid for version of the app, and so the document folder is redundant with the free version.

I prefer the Android version of the app when used in conjunction with the iSyncr Android syncing app and iTunes, because you can sync both Red Book and Hi Res tracks via the same mechanism, instead of needing to use the document folder nonsense as on iOS which is a PITA.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

• 3 years later...
On 1/8/2014 at 4:35 AM, Mel Hi ReZ said:

Hello,

Could you please resend the reference? The page is not found. I found a couple of reviews on Metal-Fi and Head-fi, but it appears currently it's not selling like hotcakes, because there are modern variants and cheaper, of course. Thanks.