Mike Gillespie

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Rate this topic

Hi

this is not yet relevant. Windows Server vNext will be released in summer 2016, one year from now on.

but, i expect Server vNext in core Mode to beat Windows 10 yes.

best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

After releasing AO 1.40 my efforts will flow into Win 10 development. The beta phase will show how good this works or not :-)

____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Phil, i think windows 10 home doesnt support RDP, maybe pro is a better choice to focus on? There are also "N" options which have some functionality stripped as skype, mediaplayer etc.

Hi

yes thats correct, no RDP for Home edition. Probably Home N is the best way to go, let's see. In the end it will work on all editions either way, but i will focus on Home/Home N because it has the least bloat of all editions. since main usage will most likely be a stand-alone setup or as ControlPC in a Dual-PC, RDP is not really relevant in my eyes.

best,

Phil

File Name: en_windows_10_iot_core_for_minnowboard_max_x86_dvd_6856744.iso

Languages: English

SHA1: 0E1E0C650A585CCBD43019EEC6775219E8ED3526

Windows 10 IoT Core for MinnowBoard MAX (x86) - DVD (English)

This is the core OS image that powers Windows IoT platform on MinnowBoard MAX. Windows 10 IoT Core is the smallest version of the Windows 10 editions that leverages the Windows 10 common core architecture. This edition enables building low-cost devices with fewer resources. Development for Windows 10 IoT Core leverages the Universal Windows Platform.

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/SetupMBM.htm

That looked pretty close to Core Server and maybe it's worth a look if we're subscribers:

VS Enterprise with MSDN (MPN)

VS Enterprise with MSDN (NFR FTE)

VS Enterprise with MSDN (Retail)

VS Enterprise with MSDN (VL)

VS Pro with MSDN (Retail)

VS Pro with MSDN (VL)

VS Pro with MSDN (VL) MSD

VS Test Pro with MSDN (Retail)

VS Test Pro with MSDN (VL)

VS Test Pro with MSDN (VL)

DreamSpark Premium

Expression Professional (Retail)

Expression Professional (VL)

MCT Developer Software & Services

MCT Software & Services

MSDN OS (Retail)

MSDN OS (VL)

MSDN Platforms

MSDN Platforms

Visual Studio Professional (MPN)

VS Enterprise with MSDN (BizSpark Administrator)

VS Enterprise with MSDN (BizSpark Member)

FYI - Windows 8.1 looked like this when it's installed on 8GB micro SDHC card

Hi Phil,

Thought i ask here , First will like a single audio PC then eventaully dual pc.

AUdio PC: No noiseand mini desktop computer hdmi embedded mini pc X29 i7 4500u INTEL Dual core with 1*VAG 4gb ram 128gb ssd-in Mini PCs from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (16gb dual sided ram and 128GB SSD powered by 5v anker). First this will be single PC. I plan this to be a dual Boot , where first boot i can run as Normal Single PC. Optimized by 2012 and AO only. In the second boot partition i want it to work as an optimized audio PC with jplay 2012 and AO

Control PC: this is my normal i7 4770K with 24gb ddr3 2100 ram with 256gb SSD. Again i plan this for DUal boot to as windows 7 where i use my everyday work and software and when i am in audio mood , i can boot this into 2012 Jplay and AO as control PC.

My music will be connected to Control PC (5TB external hdd with usb 3) .

Both of them will be connected by Fiber optic cable.

So in short this is what i am thinking,

Device ----------------- Boot1 -------------------------- Boot 2

AUdio PC ---------------Standalone Audio player ----------Simple AUdio PC basis on dual setup

Control PC-------------- Normal work computer ------------ Control PC with jplay and AO

My question is, is it feasible?

Hi

Sure, i see absolutely no problems.

@all: Please read the new Change Log. AO 1.40 will be released very soon! :)

Highend-AudioPC | Change Log

Best,

Phil

Thanks for 1.40, I'll try soon. I'm using minimal server mode and what should I do to upgrade to 1.40, or should I?

My Dac uses Wasapi and thats because I can not use AO in core mode. My player is Jriver, I don't use Jplay. Is there any sonically gains in 1.40 for me?

First of all, READ the chapter "upgrading audiophile optimizer", page 28 :-)

...and yes of course there will be some gains!

Phil, i think windows 10 home doesnt support RDP, maybe pro is a better choice to focus on? There are also "N" options which have some functionality stripped as skype, mediaplayer etc.

A better way is to get a VPro compliant PC with AMT. These are the Qx7 series motherboards in combination with standard i5 and i7 chips (no T, S or K) and Intel network ports. It also allows BIOS editing remotely.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Indeed some "out of bounds" type of machine is the creme de la creme.

basically my goal is to support "all" editions of Windows 10. bit the (or "my") focus will clearly be on the editions with the least bloat -> Home, Home N, etc.

hello everyone, hello phil..

i have downloaded AO1.40 but have not had the chance to install yet. hopefully will get it done over the weekend.

i went over the updated manual and saw that jriver is not mentioned as it was on the manual for 1.26b.

so far i have been very happy with my single pc setup (server2012 + AO 1.26b + jriver mc19. no jplay.)

i do have jriver mc20 installed on two other (work) pc s. they are not for critical listenning..

now comes my question:

i was planning to upgrade to jriver20(or 21) along with AO 1.40, is there any reason why i should not?

i know there are (and there always be) better players in terms of sound quality but unfortunately i do not have the time and energy to follow up each and every step forward. i try to stick with a relatively mature product and do the regular updates. but if jriver20(21) will not work with the AO, then that s another matter.

i m very sure that this question has been asked and replied before, please do bear with me. it s so difficult to dig for a specific answer in a long long thread .

all the best.

Hello hello...

Glad to see you first read the manual and then plan to actually do it afterwards. that's the right way! :-)

Yes, you have seen it correctly. JRiver does not get mentioned a lot anymore in our guide. Indeed it surely is a PITA for them, since our setup guide get's several thousand downloads every and each month and generated many many sales for them in the past. But this is no longer...

We just don't see the need to push or promote a company who actively blocks/fights one of our partners and on top of that also advises their own customers in public to avoid using Windows Server in general as well as our beloved AO where we put all our efforts into since almost two years.

So why should we generate any kind of attention or interest for them? We decided to remove everything from or about JRiver in our PDF guide just because we no longer want to be responsible for any single sold license of that product.

Aside from that, we also don't share their way of acting "against" customers right to freely chose what they want to use. So for our part, we will not block or remove support for JRiver because we simply don't want to act on the same level as they do and also want to show how to do in a bettery way.

If you look very close, they get mentioned only one time in the chapter "core mode features of AO". Aside from that you can also see that Shell Replacement for JRiver 17-20 is still in place in ServiceTool.

Why should we take away this advantage from our customers when it works just fine? Even if that company fights agains us as well, why should we punish our own customers for that? We will even continue to technically add support for their media player in future AO and/or ServiceTool releases because we work for our customers and not against them or other companies.

Very best,

Phil

I am going to upgrade my fanless i3 computer to Win10. Have you a time schedule when AO for Win10 will be available?

I have not decided on the headless client as of this point.

Thanks for any explanations if I have missed key points.

[Home Digital] Bricasti M12 > McIntosh MC60 > Zu Druid V + Undertone (BHSE + Voce)

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > K&K Audio Phono Amp (Zu DL-103/Benz Glider-SL/Denon DL-301 II)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Focal Utopia Headphones (balanced)

[beach/Travel] Laptop > DragonFly Red > Ether Headphones

Hi

that's a bit difficult to say to be honest, since we care more about good quality than throwing something on the market very fast.

I expect the beta & development phase to start in september, hopefully followd vy rapid progress and maybe a public release towards the end of the year? Can't say for sure at the moment.

best,

Phil

A better way is to get a VPro compliant PC with AMT. These are the Qx7 series motherboards in combination with standard i5 and i7 chips (no T, S or K) and Intel network ports. It also allows BIOS editing remotely.

Actually I have two intel q77-kb based systems. You will probably be surprised to learn enabling AMT is horrible for the sound on those. Power consumption goes up aswell, could be why. Or having 2 nics active perhaps. Anyway thats guessing. Took me quite some time figuring out AMT was the wrongdoer. I an running those with i7-3770T cpu's btw, AMT did work. Was quite a hassle to get rid off again, had to reset by jumper on the motherboard.

I just backed up my Server HTPC install and did a clean install of Win10. Installed drivers and devices and Jriver and THAT is all....

Video playback without a doubt is much better/smoother than my server install.

Audio playback sounds fantastic as well!

I am happy as-is with no optimization... I will likely disable the usual services, bloat, notification BS, etc.

I'm even happy with Edge browser and I have no need to install any 3rd party Bluetooth software.... Windows does it all!

I concur with you, Windows 10 with some slight optimization is sounding very good. I am also an avid promo video enthusiast. Will take a lot for me to move out of my current configuration. But I'll give Phil's new Windows 10 AO a go for Audio only optimization. I'll split my operating drive in two. Waiting with a fresh Windows 10 USB stick ready to go. Sounds like we got another month at least to wait for a beta.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I am sorry for the unsexy roadmap. My family and I are moving the a new appartment by the end of the month. Everything is upside down and two kids below 2 years of age don't make things easier. Once we settled down in the new place, beta phase will start.

Hi AudioPhil,

I was just wondering why Windows server 2012 was chosen for Audiophile Optimizer over something like Windows Embedded 8? Have you ever tried optimizing Windows Embedded 8?

Indeed, back in the old days there was an audiophile windows 8 version available by a guy who called himself John Doe. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/iso-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-key-installer-preconfigured-and-stripped-down-audiophile-version-windows-8-pro-including-jriver-and-foobar-14390/

as of today John Doe listens to Phil or AusioPhil and the result of that windows 8 experiment is called AudiophileOptimizer.

Some more explanations why not to use Win7/Win8 are available here -> Highend-AudioPC | Audiophile Optimizer

The furure dough looks slightly different -> http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/poll-any-interest-win10-if-audiophile-optimizer-available-24679/index2.html

best,

Phil