IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

I posted this in the Software section but mistakenly thought this thread was in that forum...

So I am trialing AO (GUI mode for now) in my listening room and while I was able to hear palpable differences just switching from Win7 Ultimate to 2012 R2, I simply cannot hear any differences in the various sound signature/digital filters sections in AO. I use this PC for slightly more than a dedicated Audio PC (just surfing the Internet really, when I don't feel like breaking out the iPad) and I guess I was hoping for something revelatory after adding AO. And I can't really A/B with and without AO given the changes it makes to the OS (maybe Service Tool would help? I'm only 2 hours into "ownership" so still very much learning my way around right now). I DO like the sound after having it installed, I would just think I should be hearing distinct differences between the various modes offered.

I'm using JR MC20 as my software player, dedicated listening room with a very low noise floor, custom, high-end DIY 3-way monitors, Schiit Gungnir (running TOSLink for now, it just sounds better than my current USB setup), and have all of my equipment isolated using Barry Diament's isolation principles. So I find this system to be highly resolving and have the media to back that up as well. I'm going to continue playing with it, but I'm just not hearing a vast difference - this may not be a bad thing, as I feel at some point, diminishing returns kicks in. That's why I built this room, to find my own limits, to say nothing of the limits of my hardware :)

I heard a bigger difference when I moved to AO in Core Mode than I ever did moving between signatures/filters.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Good to know! I will try that shortly. So far what I'm hearing are very subtle things like echoes in the studio/venue, better depth, and increased detail on background sounds. This system with AO and 2012R2 is really something else. I don't want to move to a dual PC setup and I am a bit curious how core mode will truly work with my use case. For instance tonight I had to reboot into W7 to VPN to work and run a software deployment. I love the flexibility I have but something in the back of my head is telling me a powerful client PC situated outside of my room (to keep noise to a minimum) and running the core PC in the room since it's silent anyway would be a very capable and well-rounded setup...

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

I heard a bigger difference when I moved to AO in Core Mode than I ever did moving between signatures/filters.

Same here.

Switching to core mode produced significant benefits, while the differences between sound signatures and filters seem pretty subtle.

Questions for @Audiophil:

(1) With Windows 10 only 10 days away which version do you recommend for use with AO?

(2) For those with a trial version of Server 2012 do you recommend moving to Windows Next beta version instead of purchasing 2012 license?

(3) Is there much of a SQ advantage for Server over Win 10 with AO?

Thanks

Thanks

(1) With Windows 10 only 10 days away which version do you recommend for use with AO?

(2) For those with a trial version of Server 2012 do you recommend moving to Windows Next beta version instead of purchasing 2012 license?

Thanks

Thanks

+1

I was (still am) about to buy the Win Server 2012. Still worth it ?

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

+1

I was (still am) about to buy the Win Server 2012. Still worth it ?

I think it is worth it in a 2 server set up with the second one headless using core with Jplay Xtream but w10 worked very well with a single server with software ram disk using HQPlayer and pcm to 256 dsd and should be even better with the ao so I would say it depends on your intended use - you can try ws2012 free for a long time.

Let's not forget, Phil has mentioned that he is not expecting the same quality from Win 10 as you'll get with Win 2012. 2012 will still be the "ultimate" way of using AO... it'll just be adapted enough to make Win 10 get the best from what it is... but it's still not the same OS as Win 2012.

So it's the old, if you're okay with about 80 - 90% of what 2012 can get and don't want to justify the price difference... then Win 10 will be just for you. If you have a little bit extra to spend (well a lot) and want the ultimate level you can get, then Win 2012 is the way to go.

On the Windows landscape the future contenders are

- Win 10 consumer edition ( will be the friendliest )

- Win 10 embedded (name not known yet but will be the most customizable)

- Windows Server 2016 also known as vNext ( the posters on NextHardware are very keen on this OS )

Only time and testing will tell which of these OS environments will be the best for audio

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

"It's no longer possible to disable Plug & Play Service if "AudioPC" or "SinglePC" is selected

during usage type menu.

Some DAC's just don't like that. To preserve such instabilites, i removed the option for the usage

types which will most likely have some hardware connected. You can still use it on the Control-PC

if you have a Dual-PC setup."

Hi, Phil

In the other hand, there are some DACs that have no problem with that option, and, you said that less we need is better, so can you please leave that option in "ultimate mode", so, at the end we can choose what type of settings is best for our system.

Thanx

Marko

Hi

Coming AO 1.40 will have it again in ultimate mode. but don't write me any emails if something does not work as expected! ;)

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

I posted this in the Software section but mistakenly thought this thread was in that forum...

So I am trialing AO (GUI mode for now) in my listening room and while I was able to hear palpable differences just switching from Win7 Ultimate to 2012 R2, I simply cannot hear any differences in the various sound signature/digital filters sections in AO. I use this PC for slightly more than a dedicated Audio PC (just surfing the Internet really, when I don't feel like breaking out the iPad) and I guess I was hoping for something revelatory after adding AO. And I can't really A/B with and without AO given the changes it makes to the OS (maybe Service Tool would help? I'm only 2 hours into "ownership" so still very much learning my way around right now). I DO like the sound after having it installed, I would just think I should be hearing distinct differences between the various modes offered.

I'm using JR MC20 as my software player, dedicated listening room with a very low noise floor, custom, high-end DIY 3-way monitors, Schiit Gungnir (running TOSLink for now, it just sounds better than my current USB setup), and have all of my equipment isolated using Barry Diament's isolation principles. So I find this system to be highly resolving and have the media to back that up as well. I'm going to continue playing with it, but I'm just not hearing a vast difference - this may not be a bad thing, as I feel at some point, diminishing returns kicks in. That's why I built this room, to find my own limits, to say nothing of the limits of my hardware :)

Hi

The only way do to real A/B is having the identical machines, one with Win whatever you like and the other one with Win Server 2012 R2, both coupled to a pre-amp where you can switch between the two machines. ServiceTool won't help you, after the reset you are still aboubt 95% optimized through AO.

The revelation you are seeking for is waiting for you in core mode. Get there soon! :)

Enjoy,

Phil

____________________________________________________________________________________

Does the Spotify Windows app work in Core mode or does that require WASAPI or something else?

Also, has anyone else gotten an error message when trying to download the current beta 12?

Hi

Spotify works in minimal-server mode, but not in core mode.

Best,

Phil

Absolutely true. Sound-Signature offer "fine-tuning" possibilites. They are about matching your speakers/headphones with your gear and listening taste. So if you want to call it like that, yes these are kind of subtle differences.

Core mode (and minimal-server) on the other hand are something different. There the music really starts to shine, touching your soul. Just DON't forget to run AO again after you switched to core mode!

Best,

Phil

Same here.

Switching to core mode produced significant benefits, while the differences between sound signatures and filters seem pretty subtle.

...it's designed to be like that :)

Remember, Sound signatures and digital-filters do not alter the source in any way. But they alter how the OS handles the Memory, the task prioritied and the CPU. By changing thos things, this is what you get. :)

Thanks

Thanks

Hi

(1) From what i can see here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare (click on "expand all") it will probably be between Home and Pro edition. Enterprise is too overloaded right from start, to many things we won't need anyway. The decision about Home and Pro will mainly be about "do i need Remote Desktop or not"? If you need such tool, then ge with Pro. i would never use Home and then install something like VNC on top of that, thats the wrong way.

(2) First of all. 2012 is not the way to go. If 2012, then please 2012 R2. This will also stay like that for a while. Windows Server vNext will be release next sommer. So plenty of time and "thousans" of previews coming, every single one slightly different. it does not make a lot of sense for me right now to put a lof of energy into vNext. I will start doing that next year once the platform reaches it's RTM state.

(3) well the beta phase of AO for Windows 10 will show that. Windows 10 does a lot of things very differently than Win 7 or Win 8 did. It seems to be the much better platform as the olders ones. Still i think a well tunes Server OS in core mode will still beat the Win 10 setup. let's see what the future brings us. Windows 10 is coming soon, so you all can expet the beta phase of AO for Windows 10 starting also very soon :) Who knows, maybe I alredy have something in my pocket.. who knows... :)

best,

Phil

Let's not forget, Phil has mentioned that he is not expecting the same quality from Win 10 as you'll get with Win 2012. 2012 will still be the "ultimate" way of using AO... it'll just be adapted enough to make Win 10 get the best from what it is... but it's still not the same OS as Win 2012.

So it's the old, if you're okay with about 80 - 90% of what 2012 can get and don't want to justify the price difference... then Win 10 will be just for you. If you have a little bit extra to spend (well a lot) and want the ultimate level you can get, then Win 2012 is the way to go.

...well that hit's the nail pretty much on his head! :)

Hi,

I'm playing with my mac mini music server for some time and tried lots of players with osx verisons ML and mavericks. I also used Cad optimization script. My mac mini setup has ssd and 8gb of ram, using Schiit Gungnir Dac from usb port and my external drive for storing music files is connected from firewire port.

Yesterday I decided to try windows server 2012 r2 with audiophil script. I want to use my music server headless and need to control it from ipad. I choose jriver and jremote for player because I couldn't find a better option.

I can't use the script in core mode because schiit gungnir uses wasapi driver (I'm not sure but it seems like) and I tried minimal server mode and make the hardest optimizations I can make. The sound becomes the best sound yet from My other combinations of osx's and players (Osx ML, Itunes+audirvana plus or Itunes+Pure music or Itunes+Amarra and those programs running in Mavericks)

I found the way of disabling the password of win server at startup but I could'nt find how to startup with jriver in minimal server mode. Can you help me with this please.?

Best

Tugsay

ps: I couldn't use static ip, whatever I tried resulted in loss of internet connection. I'm working on this problem but if you give me any tips, I'll be grateful.

I am currently using the new Roon Labs app with my personal CD rips and downloads combined with Tidal. Is either server 2012 R2 or Windows 10 compatible?

Yardbird, I tried Roon on 2012R2 and got it to work, but not so well that I will keep it. I was having lots of GUI issues and you have to install a pretty large expansion pack on 2012R2 to even get it to play music. And for some reason, no matter how much latency or buffering I added in via ASIO4ALL, 24/192 tracks were unlistenable. I have not tried it again since getting JPlay installed. With the GUI issues I was having and now having discovered Bughead Emperor, I will not be using Roon at least in the foreseeable future.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

Yardbird, I tried Roon on 2012R2 and got it to work, but not so well that I will keep it. I was having lots of GUI issues and you have to install a pretty large expansion pack on 2012R2 to even get it to play music. And for some reason, no matter how much latency or buffering I added in via ASIO4ALL, 24/192 tracks were unlistenable. I have not tried it again since getting JPlay installed. With the GUI issues I was having and now having discovered Bughead Emperor, I will not be using Roon at least in the foreseeable future.

Thanks Toddrhodes. Hopefully windows 10 might do the trick. I am sort of sold on using Roon.

"80-90" could be "95-99". The only way to really know is to compare 2 identical machines side by side.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I just backed up my Server HTPC install and did a clean install of Win10. Installed drivers and devices and Jriver and THAT is all....

Video playback without a doubt is much better/smoother than my server install.

Audio playback sounds fantastic as well!

I am happy as-is with no optimization... I will likely disable the usual services, bloat, notification BS, etc.

I'm even happy with Edge browser and I have no need to install any 3rd party Bluetooth software.... Windows does it all!

Windows 10 is here:

I will download "Windows 10 Home" as x64 Edition i US english. I suggest those interested in participating in the AO beta phase for Windows 10 do the same ;) Get the ISO here -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The new PDF Guide for coming AO 1.40 is online as well. The public release of AO 1.40 will be on the swiss national day, 1st of august. Check out the PDF -> https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer-setup-guide.pdf

Enjoy,

Phil