IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Dminches

I think you will hear the difference quite easily. I also moved from squeezebox to a dedicated music server. That was some 5+ years ago. I am now in the process of moving the music server from Windows 8.1 to 2012, initially as a dual boot system. Once settled, I will decide which to keep.

Good luck.

PowerConditioning: PS Audio UPC-200; Hdplex 300W

Server: Windows 2019-CORE+AO3+Jriver24/HQPlayer 

Source: Mytek Brooklyn Amp: Audio-GD C501, AVA Set 120

Speakers: Spendor SP2, Tannoy Saturn S10

Desktop: W10+Topping D90+Stax  SRS3100

• 3 weeks later...

I completed my dual PC system about a week ago with my old i3 and i5 processors. Of course, it was optimized with Phil's optimizer. The difference in SQ is easy to detect.

In the building process, I have to reinstall/restore from backup twice because I converted to core mode too soon. In core mode, it is not easy to do your maintenance you normally do in GUI mode. Given that the AudioPC is a "just play" PC, I have converted that to core, but I am staying in GUI in my ControlPC until I am sure I have taken care of all the "bits and pieces".

Enjoy the new SQ in your music.

Congrats on getting your system up and running. I'm about to start putting mine together next week.

When you say you had to reinstall/restore from backup, do you mean that you restored WS2012 from a backup? If so, what did you use to backup and restore it? Had you already activated WS2012 when you restored it? I'm concerned about activating WS2012 and being unable to reactivate it if I want to start over.

Yes, restoring from backup copy of Windows 2012. Before you convert to core or minimal server, search for Backup in Windows 2013 and you will be given options to backup. I did a bare metal and system image backup. And that proved to be very useful when you want to go back to the system state before converting to core.

I didn't activate Win 2012 at all. I installed from a USB stick created with Windows 7 USB tool. And for some reason, no activation needed. Refer to Phil's Guide. It's documented there.

Good luck. It's well the worth the effort.

Within Windows 2012 itself. You can also find it if you look under Control Panel. But the items are different from those in Windows 7 or 8. That's the reason for the search.

The deployment of WS2012 license is no different, I believe, from that of Win 7 or 8. As long as they are normal retail licenses, you can re-activate if needed. I have done that with Win XP, Vista, 7 and 8 many times over new/modified hardware. Worst case was I have to ring Microsoft to get a new product key as I might have gone over the limit.

Yes, I am using evaluation copy of WS2102. My plan is to keep using it. In Phil's guide, there is a way to extend the license. But I am prepared to reinstall from scratch every 180 days if I have to. How long does it take me to install Win 2012, DAC drivers, JPLAY, trim the system and optimize for the AudioPC? Well under 1 hour! It might take a bit longer for my ControlPC cause I have media files and I need to sync it with another PC. But it is easy as I have done it a few times when I set it up initially.

Love the NEW sound from my OLD hifi.

cheers.

• 1 month later...
I not going to say go out and buy it 'cause it ain't cheap.

Hi GrahamJohnMiles

You can extend Windows 2012 R2 trial license a couple of times. Worst case, just reinstall from scratch.

Cheers.

• 10 months later...
i have some upgrades about master clock motherboards ....3.3 volt 3 rail.asrock help me!!!but lot of money and time.nobody help me.

Helps go to those who are considerate, thoughtful and co-operative. Help cannot be demanded...

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, numlog said:

Server 2016 GUI or Desktop experience turns out to be a big big upgrade from W10, I didnt expect this since W10 is so well regarded around here but with just fidelizer W10 pales in comparison... and the digital-ness that seemed to get worse in W10 from W7 has dropped to practically zero....  music has more density, smoothness, crispness, openess. AO still needs to be added to the mix. 

I was hoping with GUI it could be used as basic PC for browsing but driver support is proving to be an issue. Luckily no issues on the audio side, but unable to find a LAN driver for my MoBo and there doesnt seem to be any ethernet or WiFi cards that support S2016... might have to buy a new MoBo

I have an ASUS Z-170AR mobo and the NIC is not supported by W2016 when I chnaged over to W2016 from W2012. After some searches, I found and this card: Intel enternet l210-T1 GbE NIC. It's inexpensive and you get internet access the first time you boot after installation. 

Hope it helps.

Mouse over image to zoom
Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

The issue with manually installing driver is that the driver must be signed. If not, you can install it by F8 (temporarily disable the signature enforcement). But you have to F8 every time you boot, else the driver wont get loaded.