IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

I purchased and downloaded AO under the 14 day trial. I had W2012R2 setup on my testing server (Intel S1200KP MB, Xeon E3-1245 CPU, 16 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD). I was using JRMC 20 and Spotify to a Lynx HILO DAC via USB. I listen mainly through headphones which are HiFiMan HE-1000 and a custom built Audio Note HE-6 headphone amp. My usual source is a MacBook Pro Retina (2012) playing FLAC files and Spotify through Audirvana to the HILO. I used a ifi USB to SPDIF converter on the Mac to connect to the Coax input on the HILO allowing instant comparing of sources and level matching.

I played AO in all 3 modes (GUI, minimal server and core) and could not hear any difference in sound between the Macbook and the PC. I followed the instructions explicitly and made sure I ran the AO optimizer script every time I changed server modes. I switched the inputs using the PC to the ifi SPDIF converter and the Macbook to USB and there was no change. I then installed JPlay and tried that with JRiver and could not hear any difference. I really wanted this to be an improvement and own a legal version of S2012R2 so didn't have to pay for that but just did not hear any sound improvement over a 8 day trial listening 2-4 hours per day (I work from home). YMMV of course but this was my experience.

Phil,

So you are suggesting that the optimizations performed by AO are only heard when all "weak links" are eliminated? I was under the impression from reading the comments in this thread that the improvements performed by AO were dramatic and obvious on any system. I'm disappointed I couldn't hear any improvements and will have to be content with my audio system that apparently has limiting weak links.

I also realize Spotify is not a good testing tool but I just wanted to point out that it is one of the methods I use my computer for enjoyment. It isn't used for critical comparative listening.

Thanks for your comments.