IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2017 at 10:19 AM, highend-pcdoctor said:

Hey Johnseye, when you install AO 2.20 beta5 you will be flying First Class. :)

Oh I'm sure.  "Put me in coach" is a reference to someone wanting to be put in play, like in playing in a baseball game.  Not looking for coach class with AO.  Looking forward to the upgrade.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

Yes it is amazing how fast time flies by... :-)

4 years ago no man (or woman) on earth was using Windows Server to play music. AO changed this completely! :-)

Well, not exactly true. Plenty of people were using JRiver and I'm sure there's other software I'm not aware of.  But you certainly improved the platform.

1 minute ago, AudioPhil said:

I was not speaking about Jriver at all?

You said "4 years ago no man (or woman) on earth was using Windows Server to play music." JRiver runs on Windows Server, so 4 years ago men and women on earth were using Windows Server to play music.

I think there just may have been something lost in the translation of your statement.  Like I said, you have improved the Windows platform for music playback, and probably more so than anyone else in the last 4 years.

25 minutes ago, dtb300 said:

So before AO, you are stating people ran JRiver on "Windows Server" - Not Win 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (these are workstation/client OS's)?????

BTW, I understood what Phil was saying.....

Yes, this isn't new.  Especially in the realm of home theater.  Storage of music and movies to stream from a home server has been around for a long time.

What has changed things is the reduction in cost and increase in capacity of storage, which allows for large amounts of music and movies to be affordably stored.  This has had a significant impact on the transition from highly compressed media like mp3 to lossless or uncompressed formats stored on drives instead of disc.  There has always been an undeniable loss in quality from highly compressed music and video formats, but who would store a couple albums or movies on a hard drive costing hundreds?  With the change in cost and capacity lossless and uncompressed formats easily hit mainstream households increasing demand and innovation.

That innovation is what Phil is driving.  Improving home audio streaming from a Windows server to provide the best possible sound.

2 minutes ago, dtb300 said:

Windows Server 2012R2, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2008, etc.   These are true Server OS's.  Not Win 7, 8, 10, etc.

Running an APP on a Box with a Client OS and call it a Server is one thing, running on a true Server OS is another.

Yes, starting with Windows NT, 2000 and 2003 were also Server editions.  From a software compatibility perspective there isn't much difference depending on how detailed you want to get.  Where issues usually crop up are in driver compatibility.

57 minutes ago, Big AL said:

For the purposes of an 'audio file' server or player, core mode is where the REAL horsepower in 2012 R2 becomes obvious.

The fewer service an OS runs, the better the audio playback quality becomes. Minimizing background processes minimizes the load on a CPU. The lighter the load, the quieter your system will run and the quieter it runs, the better your sound quality. You can only do so much with a desktop OS, while there's very little you CAN'T do with Server 2012 R2. 

You're not going to use most of what Windows Server has to offer as an advancement over the desktop.  Providing Core mode was a significant step for Microsoft and allows them to compete with Red Hat and the other Linux distros in the data center.  However I don't know if it's that big of an advantage over GUI for audio otherwise we'd all be running a base Linux package and we're not.  If you want to get to the nuts and bolts of an OS Linux can get you there.  Start from the kernel and build up with only necessary services.  Essentially what Roon is trying to do with ROCK.  The jury's still out on that one.

4 minutes ago, Big AL said:

Johnseye --- Good points, one and all, but given that Phil isn't developing AO to run on Linux/UNIX, it's kind of a moot point.

I WISH Phil would port his software/scripts to Linux! Compiling a kernel (ala the FREE Debian kit) that supports ONLY the hardware you actually have in your 'box' and includes ONLY the core elements of the OS that you really want or actually need for music playback and a file system/file server, etc., would obviously be the BEST way to fly! 

I've read good things about 'AP Linux' and am about to start building a new computer to test it on. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that Phil is headed in that direction. That said, how cool would 'AO Linux' be!? VERY cool!

As they say, hope springs eternal. Maybe some day. Thanks for posting! 

AO Linux would be very cool, and I'd bite.  I expect many others would as well, in addition to yourself.  Any good with Linux @AudioPhil ?

BigAL, let me know if you're successful in building something.

1 hour ago, baburh said:

Hi Phil,

I need your help. I hope this is a right place to ask:

I finally upgraded my single audio PC setup. I prepared a triple boot. Win10 family friendly. 2012r2 and 2016 both in core and AO, audio strictly only. Most probably I will ditch one once AO is fully integrated with 2016.

I am an old-time fan of JRiver, actually have not really experienced anything other.. I would like to first start out on AO2012r2 with Jriver and will definitely try Roon+HQPlayer immediately after. Now comes the question: Can they co-exist? Can I just exit one and start the other during the test period? Or do I have to reverse everything back from a backup image to try the other option? Any tips or recommendations regarding the installation steps etc would be most appreciated.

By the time I make up my mind with the  player software, I bet AO 2.20 and 2016 will full on and I will make a clean switch there ;)

I have both JRiver and Roon installed on the same server.  You can easily exit one application and start the other.  You can also run both simultaneously but I have found that if you try and play music from JRiver while Roon is running, then JRiver has issues while Roon does not.

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Can you please let me know how you did this?  I recently purchased a NUC but had to return it because I could not get the NIC driver to work with WS2012 R2.

I'm on my work laptop but the steps will be the same with Server.  Browse to the folder where you have the NIC drivers.  Those drivers may not be 2012R2 or 2016, they could be Windows 10.  Whatever the latest Windows driver you can find for that NIC.  If it's a NUC I suspect they are Intel drivers.  You can use those specific to your NUC, or you can find out the model of the NIC and get the latest supporting that NIC itself from Intel's site.

Either way you want to manually select the driver.  There will likely be a list of 30 or so drivers to choose from.  If you know it's a gigabit NIC that will help narrow your choice.  Keep trying different drivers until you get one that works.  Might want to write down each one you try so you don't forget as you go through them, the names are often similar, only differentiated by a digit.  They are also often ordered by release date, although the release is represented by that digit.

This is what I did with Windows 10 drivers for a Server 2016 install.  It took a bit, but I found one that worked.

image.thumb.png.3ebd746060a752b22570e0290923bea3.pngimage.thumb.png.23e824e1176a584a7141c5124aa60d52.pngimage.thumb.png.598d9162471f385dfffe95963bd0b551.pngimage.thumb.png.8a2ab8d8186a71027d09a67adfe24067.png

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I ran into the same issue with my mobo ethernet but was able to manually install the INF file.  Maybe give that a shot?  Another option instead of a new mobo is to use a USB to Ethernet or USB to Wifi adapter.

Glad to hear you got it working.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 4:41 PM, tboooe said:

LOL!  I wish. I never got it working on the NUC, gave up, and returned it to Amazon.  I was able to manually install the network driver for my Server PC though.  The good news is the current NUC version supports Server so I will be picking one up soon and trying that out as my NAA PC.

I found this for anyone looking to install Intel drivers in Core 2016.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005778/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html