IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Your Zuma experience is very interesting - it goes to show you have to hear these things for yourself as I think the standard Zuma with W8 and JRiver is excellent. Let us know when you get it back, I'm currently working with Phil on builds for his optimiser.

You have to try these things for yourself - I'm sure you have read all the positive reports on the dedicated JPlay thread.

• 6 months later...
Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a real newbie question, but I haven't used servers for music before. Do I need 2 copies of WS2012 Standard for a dual PC set up, or can I get away with Essentials for the control PC? Thanks.

You can use essentials on both.

• 8 months later...
Many thanks for the above, updating the network adapter driver via Control Panel worked like a charm !

the DH61DL has the Gigabit 82579V controller, and selecting the driver for

Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

successfully installed the driver with the warning "not recommended" or words to that effect

New Year's day has turned out much better than expected, an auspicious start to 2015

If you get problems, editing the .inf for the 82579V works well, I've done it several times see the second link in Bob's post above, it's a lot easier than it looks at first glance. There is a similar fix for the dh87rl boards as well which I have used but I prefer to use dedicated server boards with WS2012.

what sort of SQ difference have you observed with WS 2012 installed on server mobo's compared to desktop mobo's ? I can see OS install goes more smoothly ;-)

I haven't installed it on a desktop board for over 6 months but I did think the s1200kpr was preferred to boards like the dh77eb and dh87rl but the cases were different so not apples to apples and it wasn't a side by side test.

I also think a desktop board with W8.1 and HQPlayer could be preferred by some people and have spoken with audioPhil about how impressed I was with it. I haven't tried HQP within ws2012/AO yet (I know it is not recommended to do so) so will look out for your results.

which server mobo and Server cpu's have you been happy with ?

I still prefer the s1200kpr and the XEON 1265lv2 although the Asus that I use now isn't far off with a xeon 1240lv3. I'm concentrating on the quality A-Tech cases solely now though so I am limited to m-ITX boards which is very limiting with Intel withdrawing.

whilst we are on the subject which USB card have you had the best results with ?

I use a PPA V1 it's really good, the v3 doesn't fit my preferred case (A-Tech 2500) but the v4 will just about but would need blu-tac or similar for the OCXO so at present probably the JCAT but I am going to try and put a v3 card in a build I have in mind.

whilst we are on the subject which USB card have you had the best results with ?

I don't want to clog up this thread but I thought you may be interested in Pearse's report on Tir Na HiFi forum a few weeks back (if you haven't seen it).

Seb brought round his Paul Pang V1 USB card yesterday and we went through swapping and listening between these 3 cards:

Paul Pang V1 USB.

Paul Pang V3 USB.

JCat USB.

All were tested in the same Audio PC with Server Essentials 2012 R2 in Core mode with JPlay 5.2.1 and AO 1.30.

All were playing into the Big7 DAC with PPA Red USB cable.

Both PPA V1 & V3 cards were fed with 5v on Molex from an Anker Astro Pro2 20000 mA Battery.

The JCat had no 5v connected as the Big7 did not need the 5v line and all filtering was off on the card.

The PCI riser had the 3.3v supplied off a Teddy Pardo Linear supply for all 3 cards.

My impressions were:

PPA V1 had similar but probably better analogue sound than I remember from my V2 card and very similar to the latest V3 card but for me the V3 just had more warmth but still all the detail, so much so you tend to just focus on the music when you hear it through the V3 card.

The JCat has what appears to be a more defined brighter sound but after a while you really miss that warmth and musicality of the V3 card.

Some might prefer that sharper brighter presentation of the JCat card but the V3 is a clear winner for me with the V1 not too far behind.

I expect the V3 card will continue to improve over the coming days as I had only about 20 hours on it so far.

Cheers, Pearse.

Tír Na HiFi • View topic - PPang V3 USB Card

If I may ask some questions what cores are the chips you use

I3 I5 or I7 ???

The last time I loaded ws2012 to a desktop board I used an I7 4770T, but I use a XEON 1240l v3 with the server board, previously a 1265l v2 as I wrote in what you quoted. I use an I7 4785T with my w8.1 desktop board builds.

Al, personal preference cannot be argued, I like the v2 as well and it is the best value I think, there are so many variables that come into it, the key is finding something you like and enjoying the music. The comments on Phil's versions in this thread shows there is no one size fits all.

• 2 weeks later...

If following the Ram disk guide make sure you read 2.11 and note 10:

Of course, the Audiophile Optimizer can be installed into System 3 (VHD disk), but not earlier.

Be sure to have a copy of the .vhd file serving as backup of System 3 (VHD disk)

In some cases, „Disable driver and services?“ has to be answered with “no”.

Hopefully Phil or Paul can chime in here--it seems the maximum length this cable is available in is 1 meter. I need at least a 2 meter cable--are longer lengths such as 2 meter available?

Thanks,

Randy

It's available in a 2 Metres length which is the maximum.

• 5 months later...
+1

I was (still am) about to buy the Win Server 2012. Still worth it ?

I think it is worth it in a 2 server set up with the second one headless using core with Jplay Xtream but w10 worked very well with a single server with software ram disk using HQPlayer and pcm to 256 dsd and should be even better with the ao so I would say it depends on your intended use - you can try ws2012 free for a long time.