IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Hi, I am trying to understand where AO might fit into my future digital front end/ server plans. My questions stem from confusion and not meant to provoke.

AFAIK thus far AO is an optimisation software for windows server (not W7 or 8).It works with various software players including JRMC which I currently use.The ultimate scenario is with a dual pc setup plus maybe JPlay as well.

Questions:

1 How is it different to, or the same as XXHighEnd Player/ OS optimiser?....or can it work with XXHighEnd Player?

2 What additional benefits does JPlay bring ?

3 Now that JRiver has disabled JPlay, how will this impact on AO users.

4 IIRC it uses a wireless remote app or if using JRMC, use of Gizmo/JPlay ?

5 Is using a wireless remote not a SQ issue?

Thanks for any helpful replies (@Prot = please dont reply)

Cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Hi all, I will post a new thread as my question here may be a bit off topic - my apologies

David

Hi, I am trying to understand where AO might fit into my future digital front end/ server plans. My questions stem from confusion and not meant to provoke.

AFAIK thus far AO is an optimisation software for windows server (not W7 or 8).It works with various software players including JRMC which I currently use.The ultimate scenario is with a dual pc setup plus maybe JPlay as well.

Questions:

1 How is it different to, or the same as XXHighEnd Player/ OS optimiser?....or can it work with XXHighEnd Player?

2 What additional benefits does JPlay bring ?

3 Now that JRiver has disabled JPlay, how will this impact on AO users.

4 IIRC it uses a wireless remote app or if using JRMC, use of Gizmo/JPlay ?

5 Is using a wireless remote not a SQ issue?

Thanks for any helpful replies (@Prot = please dont reply)

Cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

• 2 weeks later...

Many Thanks Dan,

for those interested I started a separate thread looking at the different approaches to software optimisation (amongst other things). A number of developers have chimed in.

firstnew.png Best PC Audio Software Operating System Optimisation and Players

Hey David, there's no bad questions really, it's all great discussion that keeps things moving forward in my opinion. I'll try to answer as best I can, but by far I'm not the authority on any of it....so keep that in mind.

1) xxHighend is a media player. It's optimizations go more on the application side of things than the OS side. Which is needed mind you....but it's more two different things. I wouldn't see why most of xxhighend wouldn't work with Win2k12 r2 server...but I'm not sure if there IS anything that it uses that maybe would cause it to not work. Going into Core Mode in 2k12 also adds another level of complexity which may not cause it to work. I've always wanted to try it, but haven't gotten into any of the newer versions of xxhighend.

2) Jplay I think really comes into play a little more as a very light weight player, highly optimized to do just that, play. So if you do a dual PC it's a great way for it to just sit there and play music and do nothing else. With JRiver and Jplay on the same PC, I've heard it sounds better than just JRiver itself, but I have not played enough to really have an opinion. My thinking is it's another "process" running...but if it's optimized extremely well... then it probably can sound better... but there's lots of back and forths on whether it does or not.

3) It'll really only change the dual PC setup, there's plenty of other software out there that will work and people can use.

4) Yes you can use the app for JRiver to do all your selections and some adjustments to JRiver. Gizmo/JPlay are the correct ones. Foobar2000 has FoobarCon (best of the Foobar ones).

5) Wireless and sound quality *should not* be any issue when it comes to sound quality. Could it be, yes... there's another layer of issues that can come into play. If properly set up, and having good enough signal strength, then it should be much of an issue.... Whether it really sounds different at all... I can't say, I'm wired in as I didn't want that layer of "complexity" added in. Wireless isn't complex at all, but it's another thing that if something goes wrong then one has to troubleshoot there...so I just decided to have it eliminated altogether.

Hope that helps some.

-Dan

Sound Minds Mind Sound

• 5 months later...

Hi to everyone,

I am wanting build an audiophile server based on a single pc using AO. Is there a thread or guide somewhere that discusses/recommends hardware options? I have seen lots of dual pc setup recommendations but not so much for single pc.

Ultimately it would be good to have the option to repurpose the single pc as either audio or control pc in a dual setup in the future.

I have in mind a hdplex H5 case and their linear power supply for mobo and second lpsu for JCAT usb card + REGEN.I plan to use internal ssd's for music and they will be filtered to reduce noise (SOtM sata filters or JLH shunt regulators).

I mainly need suggestions for mobo/cpu/ram/best options for powering the OS ssd (the hdplex 300w lpsu will be atx form factor so maybe just use sata power cable from the lpsu ?).I am thinking of a mini-itx board with integrated graphics for GUI and i7 cpu but I notice a trend for xeons ?

Thanks for any pointers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Hi to everyone,

I am wanting build an audiophile server based on a single pc using AO. Is there a thread or guide somewhere that discusses/recommends hardware options? I have seen lots of dual pc setup recommendations but not so much for single pc.

Ultimately it would be good to have the option to repurpose the single pc as either audio or control pc in a dual setup in the future.

I have in mind a hdplex H5 case and their linear power supply for mobo and second lpsu for JCAT usb card + REGEN.I plan to use internal ssd's for music and they will be filtered to reduce noise (SOtM sata filters or JLH shunt regulators).

I mainly need suggestions for mobo/cpu/ram/best options for powering the OS ssd (the hdplex 300w lpsu will be atx form factor so maybe just use sata power cable from the lpsu ?).I am thinking of a mini-itx board with integrated graphics for GUI and i7 cpu but I notice a trend for xeons ?

Thanks for any pointers

David

Apologies, as may be too off topic, will start a new thread !

[h=1]Single PC Setup for Audiophile Optimizer[/h]

Cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

What kind of Voodoo is AO, wow ! I just purchased and installed AO 1.30 onto my laptop with WS2012R2 while waiting to build my dedicated server. I played it in GUI mode/JRiver > Bricasti M1 dac > dual mono gryphon pre > gryphon monoblocks > Thiel cs 5i towers. Amazingly there was increased clarity, spaciousness, richness and liquidity of textures, and incremental improvements in soundstaging,imaging and focus. My wife who was *unaware of any changes made* said "what did you do to the sound". I asked why and did she notice a difference? Her reply, "big time, it is more open, clearer and warmer". I dont think it has actually changed the tonal balance but appears warmer due to the other associated changes, but Im not gonna argue with my wife ;-). This purchase was an instant WAF success. Can't wait to experiment with modes, sigs, and filters, HQP.....

Thanks Phil, wow, job well done !

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully a couple of easy questions for others so as not to disturb Phil.

Once in Core mode and using AO 1.30, when you enable WLAN (using service tool) does that somehow revert WS2012R2 back to minimal server (it goes through quite a complex process and reboots) ?

When using WLAN in core/minimal server how do you "find" and "connect to" wireless access points? Do you have to set for "automatic connection" while still in GUI mode?

TIA for any clues

Cheers

David

PS sure sounds better !

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Originally Posted by tboooe

Yes, WLAN is not available in Core mode. I had this same problem too so I ended up a getting a wireless bridge in my audio room so I could use the ethernet port on my control PC and still have access to my network.

Thanks tboooe, can you expand a bit on how you did this ?

Oh, sorry, got it. I currently use a wired switch to connect multiple devices. So a wireless bridge would connect your wlan to your wired lan allowing access to internet and your network when in core mode.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

• 5 months later...

I don't use shell mode. Instead, I created a few tiny batch files (with short names) in the default directory that enable easy access to HQPlayer, JRiver, jPlay, Q-Dir, Task Manager, shutdown, restart, etc. from the command line. It's a bit like having shortcuts in a Windows GUI, but for DOS/the command prompt. It was a pleasant surprise to find that minimizing a program without the Windows GUI still leaves a small box at the bottom of the screen so that it can be restored or closed.

I do the same thing works great. And I put mine in AO\Tools (in path already) and I can find them easy LOL

Is there a repository of these somewhere or a "how to" ?

cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound