IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

I am a field alpha tester for Phil and his Audio Optimizer. I find it irreplaceable as a tool for getting the best out of one's system. I run a dual pc setup for jplay, with my front-end pc (aka controlpc) a CAPS V2+ (identical to CAPS V3 Lagoon) also serving as my multichannel server. The back-end (aka audiopc) is a Zuma-sized box running i7. Both run Windows Server 2012 and the latest Optimizer, with sonic signatures and digital filters set appropriately.

Phil has done an incredible job, and he continues to optimize more and more, all the while leaving us with a tool that does not require a techy background. The Optimizer asks simple questions and then does its thing, whether you are running with a GUI or in core mode (aka dos command mode, as most of us with audiopcs run).

• 1 month later...
Hi Phil,

Can I ask if I am going to set up a new PC set with window server 2012 standard with your audiophileOptimizer would it make any difference in sound if I use a notebook or a minimum ATOM motherboard like the DN2800MT or a powerful motherboard with say i7 CPU? Similarly any effect with 16G of RAM or just 4G ? I am thinking about the fan noises and interferences from powerful motherboards. Thanks

An i7 (or equivalent power, like a good Xeon) is a great music server, as long as the details are taken care of (like thermal management via heatpipes, not fans... and good clean power, a subject worthy itself of several good threads here). An i5 or i7 sized cpu can do things like very high sample rate upsampling or format conversions and other types of DSP that the DN2800MT just can't do...especially if you use something like jPlay. Both my DN2800MT (controlpc) and my i7 (Audiopc) have been using Optimizer since day one (alpha tester). I will soon retire my 2800 Atom (Caps V2+, aka Lagoon) due to underpowered cpu and instead build an S1200KPR/Xeon machine as my new audiopc.

Keith, Great post!! Welcome to the "WS2012 Wow, It's Way Better" Club. :)

Take your time to get used to each sonic step, so you can update the group as well as you did in this post.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the quick response audioPhil! Your support really is as good as they say!

Do you have a preference among these methods of remote access? Does leaving on Network related Services & RDP have a negative impact on the sound?

EVERYTHING has a negative impact on the sound! :) But some things are so infinitesimal or theoretical that it's not worth worrying about. Just use Remote desktop, make sure you have your audiopc's administrator password and/or auto logon set, and you're there. I use RDP to log into my GUI controlpc, then from its own desktop an RDP icon to log onto my core audiopc.

For regular use it's a just in case thing. For me, since I review stuff, I need to get to it to install DAC drivers. Also, though, you'll need access to it when you install a new version of Optimizer, a new version of Jplay, or to change sonic signatures (assuming your not using the Configurator).

• 1 month later...
Phil, just sent you a pm. Btw, why no gmail addresses?

gmail has been found to block attachments from Phil, so although it's fine for normal communication and support, if he needs to send you beta attachments it's not good.

• 2 weeks later...

As a very early alpha customer for Phil's Optimizer I can tell you that the project has gone through some great improvements, and beta 1.24b1 is no exception. I especially like the new conveniences and capabilities of the ServiceTool. Even sonically, the Optimizer has improved optimization with Jplay so that we may set buffers and regedit settings to tighter tolerances in order to be more analog-sounding, without putting undo stress on our music computers. Well done, again, Phil!

• 1 month later...

I've been running WS2012R1 on my Dn2800MT for a year now (started as my single pc, is now my controlpc, with Asus-based i7 as audiopc..mentioned earlier in this thread a few times). Here are my LAN settings/drivers (mobo LAN for Jplay, Intel NIC card for home LAN)

controlpc lan setup.jpg

controlpc lan settings.jpg

• 4 months later...
I do wonder if the changes that AO makes to the system lessens JPLAY's impact.

AO makes your glass window almost perfectly transparent, so any sq differences will be increased or magnified, not diminished. As most here know (and have watched my screencast video tutorials) I love JRiver's library management, custom views, flexibility and remote GUI (aka JRemote). Moreover, I love the sound of Jplay on the back end (I run dual pc Jplay mode, as stated earlier numerous times). A great combo.

Ted, would very much to see your screencast video tutorials. Can you give me a link?

Thanks.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/index3.html#post272960

Sorry for the slight hijack.

• 2 weeks later...

Al, welcome to the Club of using Phil's amazing AO, especially in core mode. I've been yelling about it from the mountaintop for over a year now! So now maybe you'll hear what the Hugo really can do. :)

Al, try Jplay for Hugo (for test). Set Jriver to Jplay-ASIO, then reboot and check to see if Jplay settings screen (Ultrastream) shows Chord Hugo driver (KS). If not you might want to uninstall then reinstall Chord driver (and not using 3rd party USB card, use mobo USB when installing any DAC drivers).

The differences do not require a 10 second or less a/b and can easily be done. The results are why so many of us moved to the more expensive WS2012/AO system. To come on here and ask the question, scoff at the answers then rudely imply we are all idiots being scammed is likely not goingr to get you many takers anyway. Certainly not any of my experiences.

LoL

Ted, I heard them all firsthand and it was not even close. Top 2 Dac were separated by a Chasm from the bottom 2....ESPECIALLY with DSD. And you, AL and I are DSD-heads.

Next time you get to NYC, you need to take a trip to Chez AL and you will understand.

LOL yourself, Norman. You've said this several times now...and yet no, I still do not succumb to the hyperbole of "Chasm" unless you mean a $300 Arcam DAC vs these others. Chasm, wipe-the-floor, blow-the-doors-off. These are not what I hear when comparing great modern DACs. The differences are usually definite but subtle, often obfuscated by being system dependent, and very much horses for courses. I have heard the Lampi don't forget, and have a Directstream in my home in my main system as I type this. A properly set up Hugo is in the same league....not always better, not always worse, different (oh, and a fraction of the price). I know several MSB owners that say the same thing. They don't speak of chasms; on the contrary. YMMV.

@ted_b

Let me get this straight... you got no answer to my simple question but you thought that insulting me out of the blue may help the discussion !?!?

Wow again .. guess you must be the public relations expert here.

I insulted you?? That's funny.

Prot, we all worked very hard to get our servers to this level, and we have experienced many gains in going WS2012 and Phil's AO product set (not to mention his service). Then you come on and state that if some one can't provide you a perfect comparision by using identical machines (you scoffed at someone who responded with dual boots) and instantaneous a/b (less than 10 seconds; in that post you sarcastically talked about people's "feelings" and then asked again if any human had meaningful results ) that not only do you not want to try this project but that ALL of us are being scammed and that its all hyperbole......well that just isn't a nice forum thing to do. Do you not get that you are rude in your responses??? No other way to say it. Maybe English is not your first language, but the implications and accusations insult us, those of us who have put hundreds of hours into our music server setups. And no, none of us are going to set up two identical servers for you so you can be able to do all this vicariously.

Put in the work, and report back. That would be the best solution.

• 1 month later...

I am also a longtime AO beta tester for Phil. This version 1.30 is a marvel. it's not just a lower noise floor and better detail retrieval, it's as though he found a spot where the floor opens up and a cavern has been found. I am hearing micro-detail (air and spatial cues) that simply emanate from a void. These micro-details are neither harsh nor bright; they are natural and they add an additional sense of realism to the music. It's that magical feeling when a recording begins and loads the room, even though no notes have begun. The venue has arrived and taken over the space in your listening environment.

That kind of retrieval requires careful OS optimization; it's like Einstein...make it as simple as possible... but no simpler. I'm amazed Phil found more to simplify without going too far. Great job Phil!

Digital Filter Mode? B is suggested. Which one is Bit-Perfect and does not mess with the audio signal?

Sounds like you haven't read the manual. :)

"All sound signatures and Digital-Filter modes are bit perfect and do not alter the source in any way. They only change the way the operating systems handles the running tasks and their priorities as they relate to the operational state of the CPU. Always use the latest version available of the ServiceTool & AudiophileOptimizer."

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, Al, you created a great saying: "system defendant". Sounds like most people's response....defending their systems, regardless.

I will have to go back and enable SEHOP on both controlpc and audiopc and report back.

I have in-depth experience with both my dual pc with AO/jplay setup and with the Auralic Aries, into several DACs. Heck, I am a beta tester for both AO and the Aries. My article series is going to attempt to discuss the tradeoffs. I am including the Aurender server in these discussions. Net/net, there is no free lunch. Each platform brings strong pluses and minuses. There is no free lunch.

Hi,

is there a way to access jPlay when in Core Mode? I'm guessing not, since there is no command prompt to type in js. But maybe I'm wrong?

Core mode is nothing BUT a command prompt. Yes, "js" works fine (in 1.3), otherwise here is another approach:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/whos-used-audiophile-optimizer-windows-2012-server-or-windows-8-a-17897/index42.html#post360917

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, while I understand the frustrations of the flexibility and combinations in an AO/Jplay setup , you might want to also reiterate that you now have:

* a new house

* a new room with newly discovered and undiscovered room anomalies

* new speakers

Yikes, that would throw even F. Alton Everest for a huge loop. Add to all this the introduction of AO 1.30 and you've got like 4000 new variable combinations to deal with. It is admirable that you found a nice synergy going to River. I think many of us find Ultrastream and then stick to it, but there's more in AO and Jplay than most people realize. Good job!

I'm going to give this post an "ouch" because it hurts just a little bit. Why? Because you think a new room, and then later, new speakers (of the same brand and voiced by the same man), make it so I can't judge an absolute major change in the wrong direction. AO 1.30 vs the previous version isn't even close to sounding even similarly with the same settings for me. I'm surprised not everyone has the same conclusion. Makes me wonder how that's possible, but then I remember how much things changed when I changed my RAM modules.

Obviously, you can ascertain by the above paragraph that I do not believe my recent changes in room or speakers has much of anything to do with my issues with AO 1.30. I felt lucky (to which you give me credit) that I found a great synergy with this new version. I shared it in a positive light (I think), and mostly posted to possibly help the others that have similar issues. I also really wanted to know if anyone else would get similar results as I did.

Thanks for responding to my email BTW...

????? My response was nothing but a huge kudo to you. I never said anything about judging a major change the wrong way. I said you had thousands of variables and still found a great sound!! Ouch? I am completely confused. (Personal note: no email from you in my recent past).

"Hey Terry you did a great job staying in the race while changing tires WHILE you were driving!"

"Ouch that hurts"

???

• 3 weeks later...
phil just want money.i want best sound!!!

How dare you come on Phil's product thread and accuse him of taking money and providing no value!! Have you followed his product development? You should be ashamed of yourself for trolling.