IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

In my opinion, Windows Server 2012 even in stock form is far better sounding than a Windows 8 with any tweaking. Phil's Audiophile Optimizer takes 2012 to amazing levels of sound quality.

When I first heard Phil was going to charge over $100 for his optimizer, I was turned off. I figured I could get most of the way tweaking things myself as I did with Windows 8. I purchased the optimizer a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't be more impressed. The software's function is really great, the guide is very thorough, and the sound quality is amazing. Then add in the different flexibility options like sound signatures, and now it's really something special. And if all that's not enough, the level of support from Phil on his product is second to none. Now I feel the ~$100 price is a steal.

I run a single PC setup, have no intentions of going dual PC, and I'd like to skip JPLAY if possible. I'm currently running in "minimal server mode" with Phil's optimizer, JRMC 19 in kernel streaming mode, and the sound quality is very good even though I'm still missing my PPA USB card. I couldn't be much happier at the moment.

Can I use Server Essentials or does it have to be Standard? Also, will Server run on an Atom based machine?

Essentials won't work according to Phil.

I played with Standard on my Atom based CAPS v3, and it ran MUCH better than Windows 8 Pro. It felt faster, and was more stable. I would highly recommend trying Standard if you can.

• 1 month later...

I'm running my single PC in Core mode, AudiophileOptimizer, J.River 19, and no JPLAY. I find Sever Standard GUI unoptimized absolutely unlistenable. That's what you have to look forward to. You haven't heard anything yet.

There are some power tweaks that will greatly help as well.

• 10 months later...
Curious to know how many people who use AO also use Jplay in a single PC setup. I am about to take the plunge myself but was just wondering what people thought of the AO + Jplay combo.

I run a single PC with AO (core mode) and JPLAY. JPLAY has been a tough road for me as I never liked it running on my 2 previous CAPS. With AO, JPLAY now is a must have for me. I tried running without it, but a get a significant (to me) reduction in clarity and imaging. AO is a no-brainier, but you should test the trial version a JPLAY before committing to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am struggling with AO 1.30. The sound is now too thin, and lacks bass. I liked JPLAY's extreme engine and AO in 4D. This is now unacceptable for me. I'm working my way through other settings, but it has thus far been frustrating with poor results. Im not sure what to do.

I run a single PC, WS2012R2, core mode, JRMC 19, and JPLAY 5.2.1. Since upgrading to AO 1.30, I don't like my old settings of Xtreme, and 4D. The sound is thin and lacks bass heft as I stated above. In desperation to find settings I like, I tried JPLAY's River engine with 4D. This gets me back to a more familiar sound before upgrading to AO 1.30.

Can anyone else test this?

There is no AO 1.27 existing?

Instead of using an older version of AO one could just skip the new features like SCSI-MiniPort Drivers, SEHOP, SPPSVC, etc.

This would end up with something very very similar to 1.26 (this is what you probably mean with 1.27?) and has the advantage of still being supported by us etc.

The only setting I changed in AO is enabling SEHOP, and I'm back to the Extreme engine and 4D. Apparently disabling the SEHOP was my main problem. I'm working on the house today, so I have no real listening time to get into real detail.

What is the setting question for SCSI-MiniPort Drivers and SPPSVC? I didn't see them 2 times through in Ultimate mode?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm posting this in case it might help a fellow AO 1.30 user who has struggled horribly with this latest version. Phil, I can't express he gratitude I have for the development of AO, but version 1.30 made me start to hate you. Luckily, that has changed. ;)

I run a single PC setup, Intel server board, XEON processor, PPA v2 USB card, AO, JPLAY, JRMC 19. My cables, power, settings all tweaked.

I used to to run AO 1.26, 4,D, JPLAY Extreme, DL,DL,DL with great happiness. With AO 1.30, those setting make me want to never listen to music again. I've been struggling for weeks with the sound. Thin, sterile, no emotion, clarity smeared, just awful. The SEHOP setting has caused the most damage, but no matter what settings I tried, I just couldn't get back to anything I'd call great again.

So I started over. I had to forget everything I thought I learned over the last year or so. I was planning to to a fresh install of WS2012, and go back to AO 1.26. Right now, I'm glad I didn't.

My new magical settings are as follows: AO 1.30, (ULtimate, SEHOP disabled, USB enabled, etc.), 1,A, JPLAY River (this was the turning point), DL, DL, DL. I have fanatic tone, clarity, and a deep sound stage with very precise imaging. It's incredible. These settings have NEVER been remotely acceptable in the past. Now they are amazing for me.

It would be nice to have anyone else struggling with AO 1.30 try this and report back.

Tried your settings tonight. I liked them a lot. I never got to try AO 1.26 so don't know what all the fuss is about. I had been using 4,D it does sound good. But I do prefer your settings. Much more live and you are there but still plenty of bloom in the vocals. I also liked 3d in the past. Sort of a combo of 1A and 4d.

Very fun!

Great! Thanks for trying this and posting. All too often I feel like I'm the person who's setup behaves differently than everyone else.

I have now disabled the USB optimization, and I may like the sound better.

Terry, while I understand the frustrations of the flexibility and combinations in an AO/Jplay setup , you might want to also reiterate that you now have:

* a new house

* a new room with newly discovered and undiscovered room anomalies

* new speakers

Yikes, that would throw even F. Alton Everest for a huge loop. Add to all this the introduction of AO 1.30 and you've got like 4000 new variable combinations to deal with. It is admirable that you found a nice synergy going to River. I think many of us find Ultrastream and then stick to it, but there's more in AO and Jplay than most people realize. Good job!

I'm going to give this post an "ouch" because it hurts just a little bit. Why? Because you think a new room, and then later, new speakers (of the same brand and voiced by the same man), make it so I can't judge an absolute major change in the wrong direction. AO 1.30 vs the previous version isn't even close to sounding even similarly with the same settings for me. I'm surprised not everyone has the same conclusion. Makes me wonder how that's possible, but then I remember how much things changed when I changed my RAM modules.

Obviously, you can ascertain by the above paragraph that I do not believe my recent changes in room or speakers has much of anything to do with my issues with AO 1.30. I felt lucky (to which you give me credit) that I found a great synergy with this new version. I shared it in a positive light (I think), and mostly posted to possibly help the others that have similar issues. I also really wanted to know if anyone else would get similar results as I did.

Thanks for responding to my email BTW...

????? My response was nothing but a huge kudo to you. I never said anything about judging a major change the wrong way. I said you had thousands of variables and still found a great sound!! Ouch? I am completely confused. (Personal note: no email from you in my recent past).

"Hey Terry you did a great job staying in the race while changing tires WHILE you were driving!"

"Ouch that hurts"

???

I know. I was just busting on you about the other factors I had to deal with. Made it seem AO 1.30 was not completely to blame. Maybe I took the post wrong. Sorry if I did.

I meant the post to be light hearted. You know I think nothing but the best of you.

I was very intimidated about the room change, but when I got my head on straight, things fell into place.

Watch your email...

• 3 weeks later...
That's a quite accurate & pertinent assertion. USB card & DAC impl matters a lot...prolly most. However, that doesn't mean that the rest of the PC doesnt matter..both hw and sw.

OTOH, dont expect trustyourears maniacs like lil Bob above to be moved by any kind of pertinent talk or to stop talkinwiththeirears.

OTOH2, although less processes & optimized OSes cannot hurt, I'm not convinced that *this* AO optimization helps until someone does a proper side-by-side test with two identical PCs.

Oh well, that's just me I guess...the consensus on this thread seems to be that the untested coolaid sounds marvelous.

P.S.

if any of the fanboys here think about answering let me save yall some time: no, your ears are *not* proof.

Over & out.

This perspective is completely weak in every way. Do what you want. Buy into AO and all of its merits or don't. That's your choice. But to say you need proof first, that's where you are missing the boat. AO, WS2012, and anything else you want to test is available as a trial for free. Try it, like it, buy it. Try it, don't like it, don't buy it. It's really rather simple.

And you're completely right, our ears are not proof, YOURS ARE!

• 3 months later...

Phil,

I'm a huge fan of AO, and it has been responsible for providing the best sound from my setup. I'm now using JPLAYStreamer, and AO makes the sound compressed and lifeless on my single PC setup. JPLAY's hibernate mode did the same thing until a change in the later beta's fixed the problem. Have you tested and heard this issue, and have you any changes planned to address the issue?

Phil,

I'm a huge fan of AO, and it has been responsible for providing the best sound from my setup. I'm now using JPLAYStreamer, and AO makes the sound compressed and lifeless on my single PC setup. JPLAY's hibernate mode did the same thing until a change in the later beta's fixed the problem. Have you tested and heard this issue, and have you any changes planned to address the issue?

Phil,

Thanks for the beta. After listening, the answer to my question is YES! Now I have a lot of settings to test.

Thank you again for the links. I got it working last night on my single PC system using AO 1.3. I am still evaluating the sound comparing MC20 DLNA + Jplaystreamer against Kernel streaming through MC20 + Jplay. My initial impression is that Jplaystreamer is more detailed and "cleaner" sounding while Jplay is more full bodied and warm. I still need to mess around with Jplay setting though. Did anyone notice the Jplaystreamer is a lot louder than MC20 + Jplay?

BTW, Kazoo is terrible! Its so slow on my iPad and browsing my library is very clunky. Also, search does not work for me. BubbleDS on my Android phone is a bit better. Are there any better options? I think I've been spoiled by Jremote!

Next up this weekend is to upgrade to AO Beta!!!!

I'm no professional at this, but I try to be as detailed and thoughtful as I can be while testing. I participated in the JPLAY 6 beta test from early on (the guys at JPLAY were incredible the entire time - I never waited more than 5 minutes for email responses to my 100+ emails). Through the beta program, I found my favorite settings.

First, I find JPLAYStreamer the cleanest, smoothest, most analog sound I've ever had from my PC source. The imagining is incredible. Not everyone's setup reacts the same, but in my setup, the lower the DAC Link, the sound gets more defined and thinner or less "warm" sounding. My DAC only allows for 20Hz max, but that's enough to get the sound richer and land me in an almost perfect range. I also find the Xtream engine to easily sound the best having the richest tone, defined bass, fantastic imaging, and of course clarity. I also find setting the XtreamSetting to 2000 also adds a bit of smoothness to the sound. Just awesome! This is SO much better than anything I've heard using JRiver or Foobar2000. It's not even close. JRiver was always thin sounding for me, and Foobar2000 was much better, but both lack the clarity, imaging, and definition of JPLAYSteamer.

PLEASE NOTE: AO 1.30 did not sound good through my entire beta participation. Running my single PC running Windows Server 2012R2 in GUI mode easily sounded the best. AO sounded compressed and lifeless, which is something I consider the opposite of my experience previous to JPLAYStreamer. The early on theory was that AO was doing something JPLAYStreamer didn't like. Even JPLAY's own hibernate mode did the same thing.

Yesterday, Phil got me AO 1.31b5, and it's doing its magic again, and in a BIG way. Great job Phil! Also, adding hibernate has again improved the sound as it too had some changes in the late betas. What I heard yesterday was amazing, and I couldn't be happier. If you are testing JPLAYStreamer, you MUST use AO 1.31 beta at a minimum.

Control points have been a huge issue with me as well. Kazoo is a joke, lacking features and being slow and clunky. Kinsky is better, but is too primitive. Kinsky at least brings saved playlists to the table, but is not longer getting updates. My favorite iOS control point is Lightning DS. It looks fantastic, browses libraries fast, and has a nice looking Now Playing screen. It too does saved playlists, but the Now Playing screen can be buggy. Still, it works well.

My favorite control point is BubbleUPNP or Bubble DS Next on Android. It's super fast, and works great. It too has saved playlists, but also brings access to lyrics which I really liked from my previous favorite MonkeyMoteHD for Foobar2000. I liked MonkeyMoteHD more than JRemote. It worked just as good, looks great, had access to lyrics, and best of all had power functions for my PC (great feature). Still, Bubble easily gets it done for me.

Thank you VERY much for the detailed reply. I will try out the Lightning DS app for my Ipad. I also downloaded the beta version for Android as well. Once I get home tonight I will mess around with the Jplay settings as you suggested and tryout AO 1.31beta. I wanted to get a feel for Jplay using AO 1.3 before upgrading AO to the beta so I could tell what was changing/improving my sound. I was on the fence about Jplay until last night. Again, I didnt get a chance to listen extensively but the extra detail and nuance I heard in some songs using Jplaystreamer was amazing! There was a particular song that I have listened to at least 50 times and with Jplaystreamer I heard an echo to the vocals that I never noticed before! So cool! Anyway, thank you again!

You are most welcome.

I might try the Android beta of Lightning DS as well, but as it is not designed for tablet use yet, I wasn't in a hurry. Please let us know how everything turns out for you. I think JPLAYStreamer is amazing in every regard. I'm hoping there will be further development in both JPLAYStreamer and control points to improve the experience, but I'm more than satisfied at the moment.

Dont bother with the Android version of Lightning DS. I cant get it show any music on my phone. As for the iPad version it is definitely much much better than Kazoo. I wish I could rate songs though. Generally, even though Lightning DS is good, it is still pretty slow to react when I add new songs to play. Overall, the program while nice does seem to lag quite a bit. Have you found this to be case too?

Now on the important stuff, sound. Again, still using AO 1.3 I do find the improvement in sound to be readily apparent using Jplaystreamer. In my system, what I hear is more detail and a more crisp sound. Leading edge of notes are sharp and well defined. Something else I noticed is that the pace of music seemed to slow down a bit. I dont this is a bad thing. I think songs seem to have a slower pace because I am more clearly hearing more detail so notes are lingering longer. The separation between instruments is also very very good. I cant wait to try AO Beta later today.

I unfortunately did bother with Lightning for Android, and I didn't get anywhere either. I hope they continue as I like Lightning a lot.

Lightning browses my library very quickly, and I can build playlists just fine. Bubble on Android is faster, but Lightning is very good. All the control points lag on iOS for me. That's why I went to an Android tablet. I'm very happy with it.

Listening today, AO 1.31b5 and hibernate are working incredibly great with JPLAYStreamer. You are in for something great when you try the beta.

Running the AO beta with HQPlayer and JPlay 6--the best sound I've obtained to date!!

The beta + JPlay 6 has brought back the 'body'/saturation of tone, if that makes any sense, that I felt was a bit lacking after upgrading to JPlay 6 with the prior AO version.

Well done as always Phil!

Randy

I like "body/saturation of tone", but will add texture and palpable as well.

Need some help guys. Yesterday I was able to use jplaystreamer with AO 1.3 using MC20 as my DLNA sever. After I upgraded to beta I can't get music to play. I can see my library through my control points but when I try to play music nothing happens. The weird thing is I can play music my normal way through MC20 using ASIO out to Jplay kernel streaming. I don't think this is an issue with AO but rather some setting I must be missing. Any ideas?

Sounds like JPLAYStreamer isn't running or not seen by the control point.