IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Hi all,

I know I am 3 years and 64 pages behind but Sunday arvo is finally the kickoff for the WS2012 + AO changeover.

I have been running a DIY CAPS Lagoon with W8 for 3 years. It is fitted with a Sotm exp USB and 124gig Samsung SSD. Software is Jriver 18. The Lagoon most recently connects via USB into an JLTi tweaked Oppo 105D.

http://www.customanalogue.com/jlti_multiplayer.htm

I have no affiliation with JLTi just a customer.

The tweaked Oppo sounds great and after reading this tread for 2 years I am finally up for the challenge of the CAPS upgrade.

I'm abit of an "If it aint' broke, don't fix it kind of guy' but I have a week off so I can devote all my attention getting the 2012+AO humming.

I have my 2012 R2 Essentials USB ready to go and my key for Jriver. The Oppo uses its own USB driver which I have.

JRemote now on the Ipad. The 80gig of flac files from SSD have been copied onto my NAS drive. I will rejig my JRiver Library before the changeover and backup the Library. The Library zip file will go onto a USB stick ready for the reinstall.

So I'm just putting my hand up to ask...................

What else do I need to do/save/copy remember to do before the reformat wipes the Lagoon clean, ready for the rebirth?

Grateful for any advice from the keyboards of the wise i.e. those that have taken the plunge well before me and made all the mistakes I don't need to make :-)))))

No doubt you will be hearing from me and yes I have read Phil's manual and watched his video's but it the fine print that gets us novices. :-))))

Wish me luck.

Regards Cazzesman

Some advice please.

Commenced instal of WS2012 R2 Standard - All good until the stage it gets to 35% of files loaded and I get the dreaded Error Code and it all stops

EC - 0x80070570

A google search suggests all manner of things.

I can't remove any ram as they suggest as I only have 1 x 4gig stick not 2 x 2 gig

I have re-downloaded WS2012 and tried it on a different bootable USB sticks (via win 7 bootable usb software).

My PC is a CAPS Lagoon with Intel DN2800MT x86 --Intel Atom CPU N2800 - 1.86ghz, 1862 mhz 2 cores and 4 logical processors.

Any suggestions.

I forgot to say I am running W8. And have gone with the Custom Install as directed and not the Upgrade install.

Regards Cazzesman

Morning all,

Highly successful day yesterday. 2012 R2 Essentials installed with relatively little drama. Wired LAN worked immediately. JRiver and Fidelizer 6 all installed without issue. JRiver Library all loaded from NAS. Remote Desk top all working well from my home PC to single Audio PC. JRemote working a treat. Life is good. Just with with the change from W8 to 2012 there is a richer tone and clarity to the music.

Got up this morning and Jremote kicked it all into gear immediately, so no gremlins infiltrated overnight.

Before I get down to the nitty gritty of purchasing AO. I just want to make sure of a few things........It's like bringing the date home for the first time. You want the house looking presentable and not have to move your old undergarments off the couch so she can sit down ;-)

I have followed Phil's Instructions as best I can from his detailed manual. I have enable/disabled those items I could find in the Bios prior to 2012 install.

One of Phil's instruction is ........Disable all unneeded network adapters in BIOS or through device manager.

On my CAPS I only have the one LAN input, which I require to reach the NAS/Router/PC etc so that has to stay on.

Aside from Phil's Manual has any other CA poster created a 'dotpoint' checklist of WS2012 things to enable/disable prior to the introduction of AO? If so, can someone please post a link please.

If it is all as simple as Phil's manual then I think I am good to go.

I take it AO will do its thing and turn off or modify everything else that isn't important so if I have missed anything chances are it will get done by Phil's work.

Thanks for all the vital information in this thread. Some real nuggets in the 65 pages.

That Prot was an interested guy :-))))))))))) Like a shooting star, he burned across the sky and then went 'poof', all gone!!!!

Regards Cazzesman

Thanks Phil,

I read this on post on Stereo Net Australia forum talking about AO and WS2012 and wondered about your take on it.

Typically, under GUI's task manager you will see JRiver application and JServer processes running in the background tasks. Double Clicks on each of these you will see a window pops up, you can go to details, where it leads you to another windows name Services', again double clicks on each JRiver and JServer services to set the priority from normal to Real time. These are the major improvement steps before changing to core mode. Basically, you tell the computer/OS to delicate the full resource/priority to these two for the ultimate performance.

Is this a valid suggestion of does AO do this anyway? For info I checked my current set up this morning (currently running Fidelizer 6) and the Jriver services was still set to normal priority.

Regards Cazzesman

Thanks for the reply guys.

Prior to purchasing AO this evening I have been running Fidelizer 6 on the 2012. I have not loaded AO on my single Audio PC as yet.

Should I remove Fidelizer from the the Audio PC prior to loading AO or will it make no difference to the set up of AO?

Regards Cazzesman

WS2012 R2 Essentials and AO in Advanced set up running in Minimal Servo mode now all up and going without a hiccup (touch wood). Network/NAS and Remote Desktop all working well as is Jremote. How good is that Jremote!!!!!

Spent an hour swapping b/t filters etc and ended up with 2B for the time being.

Will leave it that today. Very, very happy with the results so far. Phil your instruction Manual for AO is superb. Kudos to you.

As a novice I have been reading it and re-reading it for the past 2 weeks before committing to the plunge. Plenty of notes taken and research done about stuff I didn't understand at first.

Core mode tomorrow...................ever onwards down the rabbit hole :-)))))

Regards Cazzesman

Morning all,

Sitting here finally listening to WS2012 R2 + AO in core mode. All going well.

Extremely happy with where I have finally got to with sound. It is all due to the help of Phil and his terrific work over a long period.

I have a question about the Sound Signatures and Digital filters

On a couple of my CD's there is now just a touch of sibilance on some vocals. It is obviously the fault of the recording as it is certainly not on all songs/cd's.

I am running 2B at the moment.

I can run through all the permutations myself but is a sibilance issue the sort of thing that a change in a SS or DF will minimise or eradicate?

I have KS set to basically minimal latency (10%) within JRiver. Anything else I might try?

Regards Cazzesman

It was probably my play on words

When KS is set there is a Buffer slide in the Output setting. The rider written below the slide states - Increasing buffering will increase latency. Its default is 50% so I reduced it to 10% (so in my mind I was reducing Latency issues) is that not correct?

Regards Cazzesman

Well the past week has been fun. Like alot of things in life, you ask yourself why did it take this long to get organised?????

Anyway I think my work here is done.................for the moment :P :P :P

Tweaked some more stuff on AO. Moved my speakers abit, adjusted some DIY acoustic baffles and now I am going to give it a rest, sit and have a listen for a few days.

I've got a wide soundstage (seems to be outside the walls), depth/height and some rich tone to the vocals so I'm happy. Bottom end has some omph and the snare is tight. Settled on 4D on AO after some more critical listening. In JRiver 18 I have gone from KS to ASIO with min Latency setting and highest buffer. The ASIO just seems to focus everything a fraction more than KS. My Sibilance issue seems to have pretty much gone so I'm happy.

Down to 23 processes on the WS2012. CAPS fires up straight to JRiver screen in about 6-8 seconds.

RDC working well and Ipad JRemote perfecto.!!!!!

Thanks all and I look forward to v1.31 down the track.

Now I might even get to the few jobs my my wife left me, before I go back to work in another week. :)

Regards Cazzesman

From my miniscule experience, having just done it last week, you will find it very hard to tweak AO in Core mode if you can't drive the command prompt. It might not be the same for tohers but I find it hard to operate the Task Manager properly from the RDC.

It think is much easier, unless you are IT savvy, with an attached screen etc on your player to get things started.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards Cazzesman

You can set auto logon with AO and when you are set up you can easily use VNC or Remote Desktop. The links below will help you navigate at the DOS level. :)

Total Commander - home

or

Q-Dir the Quad Explorer for Windows - Q-Dir

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the heads up. Not having much idea about dos commands I was looking into your suggestion of Q-Dir.

Just getting my head around it. I have my single PC WS2012 in Core mode and have set up AO via the Ultimate setting. Can I now plug a usb stick with the Q-Dir installed on it and use the software in that way.

I take it there is a dos command prompt to get Q-Dir up and running.

Is that the way it works? I'm just trying to avoid going back and forwards from Core to Gui to Core if I need to tweak any stuff.

Regards Cazzesman

Last week I installed 1.30 as a AO newbie. Setting was 4D. Monday I installed 1.31(b10) Core and Ultimate. Played around with the DF and SS. I'm now a 2C man :-)))))) for the time being. ;-))

I'm just tweaking stuff. In JRiver 18 just going from KS to ASIO. Changing latency settings and buffer settings in ASIO. Going from 44.1 to 88.2 to 96.

Just changing and listening, changing and listening. Tiring process this audio biz :-))))

Regards Cazzesman

I have just being doing some research into the Dirac Live. Without reading all 67 pages has this been discussed in detail re using Dirac Live with AO in core mode with JRiver (single PC)?

If not is it doable AudioPhil?

Thanks

Regards Cazzesman

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Quick question folks. When I renew my WS2012R after the first 180days trial using the ........ slmgr.vbs /rearm

Can i do it on my single pc via the command prompt, whilst the AO is set to Ultimate Core mode?

Or do I need get out of core mode and back to standard gui?

Regards Cazzesman

• 10 months later...

Hello all,

This is the chicken and the egg situation. What works or won't work with what.

My audio system is.

CAPS (Lagoon V3)

Computer Audiophile - Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

The included hardware is as per my Lagoon build

My Operating System is - WS2012 R2 Essentials OS with Audiophile Optimizer v2.00 in Ultimate Core mode - 128g SS HD + Sotm USB exp card) + Synology NAS DS411 Slim - JRiver 18 - Elijah Quad Braid Mk4 USB Cable into JLTi Oppo 105D (Level 4 Upgrade) into SGR CX4F Active Speakers.

The SSD only holds the OS and JRiver. I run Jriver out via ASIO Driver into the Oppo105D DAC. Vol is disabled in Jriver as I use the Oppo 105D as PreAmp and for Vol control.

I would like install "Dirac Live" into the CAPS. My knowledge of processing power is limited re motherboards and Ram etc so........

Q1) Does my CAPS have the hardware grunt to effectively run 'Dirac Live'

Q2) Is Jriver compatible with Dirac Live with a minimum of fuss?

Q3) Is JRiver and Dirac Live capable of performing whilst AO is operating in Ultimate Core Mode?

Thanks for any advice and /or suggestions.

Regards Cazzesman

• 1 year later...

Hi Phil and very best wishes for your Health.   I think I can safely say all here on CA hope you return to the peak of condition and live to be a 100 :)

I am running 2.10 (B5) with WS2012 R2 and JRiver 18.   Looking at the above Change Log it is mostly about WS2016 and W10.  I'm presuming there is really no need for me to update.   Any thoughts.

Regards Cazzesman