IGNORED

New at converting vinyl to digital

edorts

I'm just starting to convert my college collection of Byrds, Stones, Electric Prune, etc vinyl to FLAC. I have a Project Phono Box II USB phono preamp with both RCA and USB outputs. Am I better off to use the Phono Box USB inputs to the PC or line level inputs to the PC and do the A to D conversion there? Also, I have Nero 7 originally purchased for converting camcorder tapes and am wondering if this is a decent tool to produce .wav files for conversion to FLAC.

thanks for any guidance.

edorts

Hi edorts. You are almost bound to be better off using the Analog to Digital Converter inside the Phono Box II USB phono preamp.

Your pc will perform A to D conversion, but this isn't a chief selling point for a general purpose computer -- and I wouldn't expect anything special there.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I'm a new guy here and have found this site most helpful, so I'll try to add my two cents. I am in the middle of converting many audio tapes to digital and have settled on using the analogue line inputs on a Korg 1-bit recorder (Model MR-1). I was very concerned with the a/d conversion process and found in my research that the electronics in this unit are pretty good. (more expensive Korg models are also available but out of my price range). I have converted all of my analogue tapes to dsd files which are the same (I think) format as SACD. The software included with this recorder is able to convert these files to almost any other PCM format (compressed or uncompressed) rather simply. At this point I am still deciding which format to use but in any case I will still always have the "original" dsd files in my archives.