IGNORED

Recent purchases I am very happy with

Garf

I am hoping Acoustic Sounds doesn't come out with any new items until mid next month. I want my pocketbook to cool off.

From HDTracks

In Utero Super Deluxe

London Calling

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Combat Rock

Give 'em Enough Rope

John Barleycorn Must Die

RAM Deluxe

Acoustic Sounds

August and Everything After

Traffic From Paradise

Feels Like Home

The Fall

Excepting Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie, which I really haven't listened to yet, all sound great, very happy with.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

It sounds great, I was surprised it has a higher DR rating than the vinyl. I don't own any other version, which is why I purchased it. As it is a recording from 1970, I stayed with 96kHz. As a general rule, I will not buy higher than 96 for older recordings I am not familiar with.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Wow, great taste! I have all the albums you listed from Acoustic Sounds. And a good number from HDTracks, though my John Barleycorn is by way of SACD.

Would love to hear your thoughts on "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" as I have been eyeing that for some time and have the vinyl and an old CD copy.

Thanks.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

• 2 months later...
Any thoughts on the Traffic album, John Barleycorn Must Die? I'm looking at buying that one next in 24/192. I agree with In Utero & London Calling, both sound excellent, Pearl Jam was a bit dissapointing though.

I have the SHM-SACD from a couple of years ago ripped. It is very good, not great. I think the "problem" is the source master is probably not the best anyway. It is better than my original LP and later CD.

I'm wondering if the record company took the same digital master (DSD) it had already done and just converted it to hi-res PCM. This does happen quite often. Not a reason not to buy it, it can still sound very good this way. If you don't have DSD playback this is probably the one to get. If you can play DSD or SACD you might want to get the SHM-SACD.

I "can't" DR it as it is in dsf format and I can't be bothered to convert it to flac or wav just to check. However it certainly sounds highly dynamic and as if it has no added compression.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

John Coltrane

"Coltrane" DSD acoustic sounds

"My Favorite Things" 24/192 - HDT

"Afro-Blue Impressions" (Live) 24-96 HDT (not as good sounding as the above, as it is live)

Horace Silver - "Blowin' the Blues Away" DSD - acoustic sounds

Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles - 24/96 HDT

Mahler - Symphonies 1 and 7 - DSD - Blue Coast

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)