IGNORED

Sony ... announces DSD capable hardware

Synfreak

Perhaps, but what is more significant than the actual hardware is that they are from Sony who have the potential of pushing High Res recordings via their record lables.

When / if that happens then that may well be news. The above isn't. Back to sleep people.

Put it this way ... I'm more interested in Sony launching players than Pono discussed elsewhere...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Yes, I agree that converting PCM to DSD is just changing the format and not adding new content.

However, PCM requires rather complex processing that DSD does not, and as I noted, can provide some astoundingly good sound from some DACs. I don't think that means the DAC processes PCM worse than other DACs, or processes DSD better than PCM. I think it at least implies that DSD processing can sound better than PCM processing for the exact same material.

-Paul

I don't believe you can start with LPCM, convert it to DSD and expect better except in the case that your chosen DAC is better at handling DSD and somehow deficient in its handling of LPCM. The conversion process can't create new content. The poster was asking if converting everything to DSD was the way to go.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

You're effectively arguing that LPCM still poses insurmountable structural hurdles or challenges that DSD doesn't. I guess that's a question for someone like the engineers at Theta Digital as a leading manufacturer of LPCM DACs. Could they achieve better quality were they to be processing DSD rather than LPCM? I suspect not. In any event, I wouldn't be rushing out to convert all my LPCM files to DSD...

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

Don’t get too excited.

Sony has a way of introducing a product, then abandoning it within a year or two. I have three top-of-the line Sony SACD players in the storage closet, two of which went quirky early, and eventually stopped playing SACDs altogether. (Sony support and repair service is beyond awful.) The latest, the less ambitious XA5400, offers special functions like DSD to PCM conversion that only works with other Sony devices. (Want flexibility? Try Oppo.)

Corporate hubris and incestuous self-validation characterize the last two decades of the failing Sony monster. (Think Microsoft.)

I notice that newly announced multi-format digital player has only analog outputs. Forget the DAC of your choice. This is a late attempt to issue a mid-market device to further sequester Sony’s proprietary SACD format. Do we know that the deals Sony is making with download services will result in protection-free DSD files? Are the record companies having another go at reclaiming exclusive ownership of the music?

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

Depends upon what you mean by "insurmountable" - throw enough money and time at something, and you can usually solve it very well.

The point is, DSD is fundamentally different than LPCM, and does not present many of the challenges that LPCM does. For example, LPCM requires some sophisticated filtering on the playback side that DSD does not. Of course, good filters are possible, we have many examples of that. But you can get the same quality as with the best (read expensive) LPCM filters by using DSD and a very simple filter.

Or to put it another way, the potential of DSD starts where some of the best LPCM processing winds up. Much more potential to be exploited.

-Paul

You're effectively arguing that LPCM still poses insurmountable structural hurdles or challenges that DSD doesn't. I guess that's a question for someone like the engineers at Theta Digital as a leading manufacturer of LPCM DACs. Could they achieve better quality were they to be processing DSD rather than LPCM? I suspect not. In any event, I wouldn't be rushing out to convert all my LPCM files to DSD...

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I love this development for it's potential, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The different corporate branches at SONY have been known to work at cross purposes, or even war with each other. So it isn't obvious that if one part of the company is producing DSD playback HW, that the other corporate departments responsible for DSD music will release the material for either download or purchase on disc.

We don't yet know (as Robert pointed out elsewere) if the AS agreement with Sony over DSD downloads is with Sony America or Sony Japan. If it is with Sony America, it is interesting, but a lot less significant than if it is with Sony Japan, where the control of most of the catalog is.

As far as upconverting PCM to DSD, I think it depends on your DAC. Apparently lots of DACs sound best when fed DSD, because thats their native format (they internally convert PCM to DSD anyway). Certainly lots of users of JRiver and HQPlayer find their best results happen when feeding their DAC with all material in DSD format. YMMV.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hmm...Yawn.

Player...boring. Can build better.

Content...same old garbage.

If you would have stated, in this thread, "I have heard x DSD DAC compared with y DAC for a time, but it didn't do anything for me because of a, b c, " then we have a discussion.

Simply being obstinate without any positive technical/objective/subjective is contempt.

Please, ffs, being polite here, offer some valid reasons for your armchair attitude.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

When / if that happens then that may well be news. The above isn't. Back to sleep people.

hahahaha LOL!

I like your attitude on this.. Your right.. like the wait on these downloads has been what? 20 years already ...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Don’t get too excited.

Sony has a way of introducing a product, then abandoning it within a year or two. I have three top-of-the line Sony SACD players in the storage closet, two of which went quirky early, and eventually stopped playing SACDs altogether. (Sony support and repair service is beyond awful.) The latest, the less ambitious XA5400, offers special functions like DSD to PCM conversion that only works with other Sony devices. (Want flexibility? Try Oppo.)

Corporate hubris and incestuous self-validation characterize the last two decades of the failing Sony monster. (Think Microsoft.)

I notice that newly announced multi-format digital player has only analog outputs. Forget the DAC of your choice. This is a late attempt to issue a mid-market device to further sequester Sony’s proprietary SACD format. Do we know that the deals Sony is making with download services will result in protection-free DSD files? Are the record companies having another go at reclaiming exclusive ownership of the music?

Yeah good points. The proof will be in the pudding as they say.. That's why we need the manuals on these products. And we need to see how much DSD content appears on those sites. And how rapidly it appears.. When I see DSOTM in multichannel, I'll start to believe it might really happen.. :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

If that main device: the HAP-Z1ES HDD player could be set up as a UPnP server and the UDA-1 DAC and the HAP-S1 Audio system as players streaming files from the HAP-Z1ES.. then yes. It would prove Sony has thought this thru properly and really know where the market is heading..

As I said. We need to see the manuals and find out if there are any true DLNA/ UPnP capabilities of these products and what they are up too on the software and control side..

The first thing I thought of when I saw all three was WOW.. what if these could all be networked up like that? We'd finally have a wonderful new way of multiroom DSD and 24/192 PCM that would beat Linn (on price and file format compatability)... (and definitely Sonos on both and quality)...

So like I said. That's why I'll wait for the manuals..

I love this development for it's potential, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The different corporate branches at SONY have been known to work at cross purposes, or even war with each other. So it isn't obvious that if one part of the company is producing DSD playback HW, that the other corporate departments responsible for DSD music will release the material for either download or purchase on disc.

We don't yet know (as Robert pointed out elsewere) if the AS agreement with Sony over DSD downloads is with Sony America or Sony Japan. If it is with Sony America, it is interesting, but a lot less significant than if it is with Sony Japan, where the control of most of the catalog is.

As far as upconverting PCM to DSD, I think it depends on your DAC. Apparently lots of DACs sound best when fed DSD, because thats their native format (they internally convert PCM to DSD anyway). Certainly lots of users of JRiver and HQPlayer find their best results happen when feeding their DAC with all material in DSD format. YMMV.

Yep. +1. Your right as well. Great summary.

The UDA-1 DAC isn't a streaming device.

If that main device: the HAP-Z1ES HDD player could be set up as a UPnP server and the UDA-1 DAC and the HAP-S1 Audio system as players streaming files from the HAP-Z1ES.. then yes. It would prove Sony has thought this thru properly and really know where the market is heading..

As I said. We need to see the manuals and find out if there are any true DLNA/ UPnP capabilities of these products and what they are up too on the software and control side..

The first thing I thought of when I saw all three was WOW.. what if these could all be networked up like that? We'd finally have a wonderful new way of multiroom DSD and 24/192 PCM that would beat Linn (on price and file format compatability)... (and definitely Sonos on both and quality)...

So like I said. That's why I'll wait for the manuals..

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

^ No your right. No ethernet port. But the others?..

^ There are two DSD capable receivers ("Coming in a firmware upgrade this fall") in that list of gear as well...

? via attached USB ? via UPnP ? via both?? ? Multichannel as well?? Anybody know?

They always have a large presence at Cedia so I would imagine they will be showing all the new equipment there in a couple of weeks. I will certainly give their display a close look over for this!

David

They always have a large presence at Cedia so I would imagine they will be showing all the new equipment there in a couple of weeks. I will certainly give their display a close look over for this!

Great!!!!!

Can you please report back on this thread! :)

Stereophile has a write-up of the release in NY.

They have the HAP-Z1ES listed with a price of $1999

Sony to Push Hi-Rez Downloads & Playback | Stereophile.com

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

What is the probability that the Playstation 4 will be a DSD-capable player? It could very well be the Trojan Horse (history repeating).

Disclaimer- I've read enough of Mr Hansen's posts to not join the DSD bandwagon.

I'm not following, could you expand k-man?

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I remember my father from a Corsican popular saying: "When there is a fight in a bar, some are drunk side, but other bartender side..."

Is that like "there's two sides to every story" and "there's more than one way to skin a cat"?

Eloise

Eloise

---