IGNORED

Sony ... announces DSD capable hardware

Synfreak

Hopefully Sony will get Sony Music Entertainment / Sony BMG involved too...

The start of something good?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Just an update with UK prices (details from Sony launches High Resolution audio product range and hi-res downloads site | whathifi.com - text in italic below is copy and paste).

The new Sony range in full is: the HAP-Z1ES HDD audio player, TA-A1ES stereo amplifier, HAP-S1 compact HDD audio system, UDA-1 USB DAC amplifier and SS-HA1 and SS-HA3 bookshelf speakers.

Sony HAP-Z1ES HDD audio player

Sony_HAP-Z1ES_ALL_R.jpg

The HAP-Z1ES HDD audio player and TA-A1ES integrated stereo amplifier are the flagship products in the range at £2000 a piece.

The Sony HDD audio player has a 1TB internal hard drive – expandable via USB – and supports a wealth of audio codes including AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DSD, FLAC, MP3, WAV and WMA.

It's WiFi-enabled and supports DLNA streaming and has the vTuner internet radio service built-in. There's a 4.3in LCD display and balanced and standard audio line outputs.

Android and iOS apps allow for control and a application on your computer will keep the HDD sync'd. The "matching" amplifier is 80wpc with "all-discreet preamp stages and audiophile-grade components throughout". Both due to be available in November.

If they live up to the ES badging then could be very good sounding.

Also available is the Sony HAP-S1 HDD audio system

Sony_HAPS1SSSHA3.jpg

An all in one system featuring a 500GB HDD (expandable via USB), analogue and digital (co-ax and optical) inputs and 40wpc amplifier. £800 also available in November (speakers not included).

Finally Sony UDA-1 USB DAC

Sony_UDA-1_S_ALL_F.jpg

The DAC suggests it can connect to any computer or even smartphone, then to a pair of speakers, to give your sound a boost. A 225mm chassis makes it fairly compact, too.

The Sony UDA-1 USB DAC is due out in mid-October priced at £500.

The UDA-1 is not a pure DAC and is actually a DAC with 23wpc amplifer and has an analogue input in addition to the digital inputs (but with a D/A Direct line out).

Also announced was a new "Walkman" supporting 24/192 but not DSD as far as I can see.

Hope these details are of interest to someone...

Eloise

Sony_HAP-Z1ES_UCE_F.jpg

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

There aren't any online manuals.. They seriously don't think anyone is going to buy these before reviewers or we can see the manuals.. as a basic example..we don't even know if they are firmware upgradeable..

Give them a chance ... They aren't actually available to buy (at least not in UK).

Eloise

Eloise

---

Hmm...Yawn.

Player...boring. Can build better.

Content...same old garbage.

Perhaps, but what is more significant than the actual hardware is that they are from Sony who have the potential of pushing High Res recordings via their record lables.

Formats such as BluRay and DVD and VHS have been successful because of the content NOT because of the superiority (or otherwise) of the technology.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Perhaps, but what is more significant than the actual hardware is that they are from Sony who have the potential of pushing High Res recordings via their record lables.

When / if that happens then that may well be news. The above isn't. Back to sleep people.

Put it this way ... I'm more interested in Sony launching players than Pono discussed elsewhere...

Eloise

---

The UDA-1 DAC isn't a streaming device.

If that main device: the HAP-Z1ES HDD player could be set up as a UPnP server and the UDA-1 DAC and the HAP-S1 Audio system as players streaming files from the HAP-Z1ES.. then yes. It would prove Sony has thought this thru properly and really know where the market is heading..

As I said. We need to see the manuals and find out if there are any true DLNA/ UPnP capabilities of these products and what they are up too on the software and control side..

The first thing I thought of when I saw all three was WOW.. what if these could all be networked up like that? We'd finally have a wonderful new way of multiroom DSD and 24/192 PCM that would beat Linn (on price and file format compatability)... (and definitely Sonos on both and quality)...

So like I said. That's why I'll wait for the manuals..

Eloise

---

I remember my father from a Corsican popular saying: "When there is a fight in a bar, some are drunk side, but other bartender side..."

Is that like "there's two sides to every story" and "there's more than one way to skin a cat"?

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 2 weeks later...
I easily stream 24/96 to my phone now, anywhere I have cell or wifi service. That includes driving down the highway in my Jeep.

And the 16/44.1 and better files sound a lot better than Sirius XM or local FM broadcasts. :)

Yes, but how much data do you use on your phone tarrif a month? Thats the issue here in UK...

Eloise

Eloise

---