IGNORED

Sony ... announces DSD capable hardware

Synfreak

This is huge news.... Absolutely HUGE. These are DSD file capable. What this means is Sony has finally.... FINALLY joined the DSD file playback 21C... They have acknowledged the reality of unshackling DSD from SACD (disc) format..... Congratulations Sony! BRING IT ON!... Lets see more! Lets see the release of the catalogue online! :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ There are two DSD capable receivers ("Coming in a firmware upgrade this fall") in that list of gear as well...

? via attached USB ? via UPnP ? via both?? ? Multichannel as well?? Anybody know?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ They certainly interest me hahaha

The fact that Sony is wading into DSD file playback like this in such major way is game changing for DSD. Absolutely GAME CHANGING. Because they wouldn't be doing this, unless they intend to follow it up with online distribution.. AWESEOME... :)

So several of these Sony setups could all be networked together via UPnP and controlled as a multiroom setup by maybe JRiver..? Kind of a high end DSD capable Sonos???? Is this where this is heading??

There aren't any online manuals.. They seriously don't think anyone is going to buy these before reviewers or we can see the manuals.. as a basic example..we don't even know if they are firmware upgradeable..

When / if that happens then that may well be news. The above isn't. Back to sleep people.

hahahaha LOL!

I like your attitude on this.. Your right.. like the wait on these downloads has been what? 20 years already ...

Don’t get too excited.

Sony has a way of introducing a product, then abandoning it within a year or two. I have three top-of-the line Sony SACD players in the storage closet, two of which went quirky early, and eventually stopped playing SACDs altogether. (Sony support and repair service is beyond awful.) The latest, the less ambitious XA5400, offers special functions like DSD to PCM conversion that only works with other Sony devices. (Want flexibility? Try Oppo.)

Corporate hubris and incestuous self-validation characterize the last two decades of the failing Sony monster. (Think Microsoft.)

I notice that newly announced multi-format digital player has only analog outputs. Forget the DAC of your choice. This is a late attempt to issue a mid-market device to further sequester Sony’s proprietary SACD format. Do we know that the deals Sony is making with download services will result in protection-free DSD files? Are the record companies having another go at reclaiming exclusive ownership of the music?

Yeah good points. The proof will be in the pudding as they say.. That's why we need the manuals on these products. And we need to see how much DSD content appears on those sites. And how rapidly it appears.. When I see DSOTM in multichannel, I'll start to believe it might really happen.. :)

If that main device: the HAP-Z1ES HDD player could be set up as a UPnP server and the UDA-1 DAC and the HAP-S1 Audio system as players streaming files from the HAP-Z1ES.. then yes. It would prove Sony has thought this thru properly and really know where the market is heading..

As I said. We need to see the manuals and find out if there are any true DLNA/ UPnP capabilities of these products and what they are up too on the software and control side..

The first thing I thought of when I saw all three was WOW.. what if these could all be networked up like that? We'd finally have a wonderful new way of multiroom DSD and 24/192 PCM that would beat Linn (on price and file format compatability)... (and definitely Sonos on both and quality)...

So like I said. That's why I'll wait for the manuals..

I love this development for it's potential, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The different corporate branches at SONY have been known to work at cross purposes, or even war with each other. So it isn't obvious that if one part of the company is producing DSD playback HW, that the other corporate departments responsible for DSD music will release the material for either download or purchase on disc.

We don't yet know (as Robert pointed out elsewere) if the AS agreement with Sony over DSD downloads is with Sony America or Sony Japan. If it is with Sony America, it is interesting, but a lot less significant than if it is with Sony Japan, where the control of most of the catalog is.

As far as upconverting PCM to DSD, I think it depends on your DAC. Apparently lots of DACs sound best when fed DSD, because thats their native format (they internally convert PCM to DSD anyway). Certainly lots of users of JRiver and HQPlayer find their best results happen when feeding their DAC with all material in DSD format. YMMV.

Yep. +1. Your right as well. Great summary.

^ No your right. No ethernet port. But the others?..

They always have a large presence at Cedia so I would imagine they will be showing all the new equipment there in a couple of weeks. I will certainly give their display a close look over for this!

Great!!!!!

Can you please report back on this thread! :)

I am streaming DSD, both stereo and multichannel straight to an Oppo off a NAS (sure it's still an smb mount, but I'm doing it right now). I'm also streaming DSD from the same NAS file via UPnP using PlugPlayer running on OSX to an Invicta. (sure it's via Dop/USB ). But again I'm doing this now..

So it's great that more DSD content might become available.

Point is, it's great Sony has come on board with direct DSD file playback, but are they really up to speed with what can be done via SMB and UPnP? I agree. What's with all the inbuilt HDD storage on these players? Is this really the future of computeraudio??.. it looks early 2000 tech to me.. not 2013... Just my 2c cents :)

^ It's not like I don't like inbuilt storage in players....For years I have been saying Sonos should have had a primary Zone player like that HAP-Z1ES.. something with inbuilt storage (so folks who don't have a NAS setup don't need that additional hassle) Something that could act as both a direct player itself..but also be a UPnP/Sonosmesh share for a multiroom set up...

That's why I got so excited seeing this Sony lineup. Just maybe it could be set up that way..?? ..Also given it's DSD and 24/192 capable..but the more I hear about things, the more I feel they just don't have the vision to make this sort of UPnP thing happen. Maybe I'll be proven wrong as the roll out get's underway, but I totally don't understand why you wouldn't plan for this from the outset.. because it would involve selling more and more peripheral Sony players (like that HAP-S1) as folks expand their systems into different rooms.. Anyway.. what do I know I guess.. ?? :)

Edit. Never mind :)

^ :)

^ Well we don't know. But what does it matter? The more choice the better. It's all good :)

Yep, You were right all along Alex:

"We (at Acoustic Sounds) currently cannot allow customers outside of the United States to purchase Digital Products. Please remove all Digital Products from your cart to continue."

hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha ...

LOL!

Here I am with said hard earned wanting the get the ball rolling and...

....go to push the button at PayPal check out and....

OMG! You can't be serious?

Helloooooooooooooooooo! Earth to Sony?

Oh Well. Look like it's back to Pandora hehehehe

Sony. *Please*. PLEASE, PLEASE take my money. :)

There is absolutely no.. Wait: ZERO excuse for any legal nonsense getting in the way of such an important world wide launch..

You're kidding me right?

My oh my. Gotta love it when the paying customer is turned away from the shop because he is from an outside country (even though he has legal passport and US dollar currency) and right under the owners nose the shoplifter gets away with the goods for nicks...

Great business model folks.

Paul

Do you honestly believe that there is a big market among the MP3 generation for music made before they were born ?

To become a force in the market place , DSD needs support from more than just the over 50's wanting to relive their youth.

Alex

Well being able to actually purchase it would be a start! ....

^ Yes. It's important to call this out for what it is. A restraint of free trade.

But lets remove the politeness..

It's farcical. A total nonsense. Ludicrous.

As a customer, I don't care who is at "fault".

It remains a continual blight on the music industry.

When will they *ever* learn..?

Never mind.. WHATEVER>> You don't want me to buy? No problem. I won't :)

Can HDTracks sell into the UK? Note these Sony products are prerelease UK now... So what is the story here?

This separate digital rights stuff between different countries is a total farce.. with the flick of a browser back button, or the blink of an eye the customer can move between a UK vs a US vs a "wherever" download store. Take a look. Different hi rez download stores are linked from the various sub "stores" of Sony (depending on what country you choose to look at within the Sony website) But does the customer really care?? They don't care what country they are actually residing. Sony is a multinational corporation for goodness sake. All the customer wants to do is visit the Sony website. And they just want to get more choice on available product (downloads) to purchase. What a complete joke. We live in a totally screwed up world ATM... so much for "free trade" LOL!