IGNORED

Ripping DualDiscs in a MacBook Pro Superdrive

Just wondering if any of you MacBook Pro owners out there equipped with the Superdrive have ever tried ripping from one of those DualDisc "CDs".

As you know, these DualDiscs did not meet the Red Book standards due to them being thicker than the Red Book standards allowed. But my real concern is whether these discs will jam in the Superdrive. Thought I would solicit any experiences any other MacBook Pro users might have had before I try ripping one of my handful of DualDiscs.

Regards,

Mr. Wednesday

Hey Mr. Wednesday, I've done it successfully once- Though it was a combo CD/DVD dual sided disc. No problems at all, though it did make me a bit squeamish, especially on inserting the disc. I was afraid that I would scratch it, as it IS a tight fit. My MBP is two generations old - purchased in late 2007 - so there is no guarantee that yours has exactly the same spec as mine though.

BTW - I don't think that there is anything in the RB standard about the thickness of the disc. It is only about the format of the disc data AFAIK. The only thing that I've found that won't go into the superdrive is a home burned disc that had a whole-disc paper label on it. Don't know if that goes for all types of those sorts of labels, but I would have had to force that one in, so didn't do it.

These two experiences along with the fact that laptop optical drives don't usually have the MTBF of a standard optical mechanism convinced me that it was a good idea to buy an external drive to help me reduce wear and tear.

regards,

-markr

External optical drives seem to last a long time and also rip faster than the laptop internal drives I've used.

You can sometimes find them on craigslist, etc. And -- brand new -- they are perhaps $80 - $90.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.