Rate this topic

3 hours ago, julian.david said:

As a consequence it has unfortunately been inevitable to raise prices a little bit

A bit?  Wow, now it's $4K.  

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> ISO REGEN/LPS-1.2 --> iFi iDSD Micro --> Focal CMS50's 

On 12/18/2018 at 6:20 AM, rickca said:

A bit?  Wow, now it's $4K.  

Can't believe nobody ever responded in over a year. Well, it may have been 4k at that time. IDK. It is $1200 now. Way overpriced. But... does anybody care anymore. I guess not.

5 hours ago, noshortcuts said:

Can't believe nobody ever responded in over a year. Well, it may have been 4k at that time. IDK. It is $1200 now. Way overpriced. But... does anybody care anymore. I guess not.

There is definitely a price/value curve for audiophile equipment. It starts off very steep with big increases in SQ for relatively small increases in expense. After a while the curve levels out to being very flat. Big bucks for small changes and lots of bling-laden cosmetics. At that point it becomes very subjective and only you can determine if the price is worth it.

The Mutec +3 USB is on the steep part of the curve: a big increase in SQ and value for a relatively(in the audiophile world) modest increase in cost. The REF10 lives where the curve starts to flatten. If you can afford it and enjoy true refinement in tonality and realism then it is still a good value.

I think that I can safely say that if you can find comparable equipment of equal or better quality at a lower price point we would all be interested.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

For what it's worth, I think the Mutec MC3+USB has given me the best "bang for buck" in terms of a sound quality hike versus any audio kit I have bought for a very long time.  Excellent, no nonsense kit.

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, sPS-500, SOtM modified switch, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.

I have had a Mutec MC3 + and a Schiit Eitr

In my experience Volumio is always better than Windows (full optimized)

In my experience I2S connection is always better than usb 

So I sell pc and ddc and bought allo Sparky sbc with allo Digione Signature 

you pay 350$ (total included case) and you have far better quality than a Mutec MC3+ (800$) with a PC (xxx $) 

i bought DigiOne Signature because before I had DigiOne. And even the first DigiOne (100$) in better than a pc with a Schiit Eitr 

So my start point was the right one. But I had to spent money on Windows and usb based systems to realize what I had before 

12 minutes ago, justubes said:

How about if you dont use usb and connect mc3+usb using AES or SPDIF?

Is it better?

I2S is probably the better of all connectiins.

I don’t know because I use computer transport. 

If if you have a pc with other outputs than usb probably you have yet a sound card / Reclocker Inside your pc. 

For me raspberry (or Sparky ) > Volumio $ I2S > DigiOne Signature is also better than 

micro pc > Wtfplay > usb > mutec 

17 minutes ago, justubes said:

How about if you dont use usb and connect mc3+usb using AES or SPDIF?

Is it better?

I2S is probably the better of all connectiins.

I tried the MC+3 USB off my computer and wasn't too impressed. 

Currently, it's AES from my streamer into the MC3+. Being balanced, it's probably the best transmission protocol, with SPDIF over BNC being a second runner.

I2S is better on paper, but it's not a standard protocol. That alone can pose major issues. Further,  Mutec doesn't support it all. 

[ AERIS G2 ] => [ MC3+USB x 3 <- -REF10 ] => [ Genelec 8341 x 2 + 7360 x 2 ]

[ Switchable to  [ Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350 ]