IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

1 hour ago, iefbo said:

all good idea's ... thanks

still wonder whether the MC3 USB could lift a streamer (squeezebox classic to name a convenient example) to the level of a high end CD player ... or whether it is better to invest in a new streamer ...

I know it can not be answered since it is very subjective and the starting point will be different for everyone ...

for a new streamer, you do not need a lot of investment. You can buy for 40 bucks Raspberry Pi 2

and install on it a free software piCorePlayer (https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home).

With MUTEC USB sounds awesome. Sound is much much better than any squeezebox from Logitech.

50 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

for a new streamer, you do not need a lot of investment. You can buy for 40 bucks Raspberry Pi 2

and install on it a free software piCorePlayer (https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home).

With MUTEC USB sounds awesome. Sound is much much better than any squeezebox from Logitech.

Raspberry shares the same chip for RJ45 and USB bus, not really optimized for a audio USB drive.

It seems Sparky SBC hasn't the same limitation.

By the way, I have used a Squeezebox Touch since 2010 and any micro PC as Odriod or Raspberry has obtained the same sound quality that the SBT which is really full optimized for audio. Example, a RuenAudio on Ordroid give a very awful audio result and can't support hdtracks too ... 

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

I also have a SBT with a firmware from  Triode, but it sounds much worse than a picoplayer.

Sound optimization in this case engaged in the software. The CPU is also concerned not only with the processing of the audio signal. MUTEC performs its task very well, but it does not help if after it the DAC is mediocre. I also experimented a lot with different players and software and settled on a picoplayer with MUTEC. MPD player sounds a little bit better, but usability of Squeezelite worth it.

1 hour ago, Konstantin said:

I also have a SBT with a firmware from  Triode, but it sounds much worse than a picoplayer.

Sound optimization in this case engaged in the software. The CPU is also concerned not only with the processing of the audio signal. MUTEC performs its task very well, but it does not help if after it the DAC is mediocre. I also experimented a lot with different players and software and settled on a picoplayer with MUTEC. MPD player sounds a little bit better, but usability of Squeezelite worth it.

ok, I see, I don't use the SBT DAC which is not high end quality... I'm using the USB output with the EDO plugin. In this case, SBT is a good drive, and becomes a very good drive with a PSU Ifi Ipower 5V and a Recovery W4S for exemple.

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

9 hours ago, iefbo said:

all good idea's ... thanks

still wonder whether the MC3 USB could lift a streamer (squeezebox classic to name a convenient example) to the level of a high end CD player ... or whether it is better to invest in a new streamer ...

I know it can not be answered since it is very subjective and the starting point will be different for everyone ...

That's a methodology worth the exercise. The SQ improves quite well, taking out that gritty edge of the spdif.  Ultimately the mechanism of what's in front has limitations. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

6 hours ago, r11bordo said:

ok, I see, I don't use the SBT DAC which is not high end quality... I'm using the USB output with the EDO plugin. In this case, SBT is a good drive, and becomes a very good drive with a PSU Ifi Ipower 5V and a Recovery W4S for exemple.

ok, what do you have after Recovery W4S?

On 2017-2-3 at 11:19 AM, AudioPhil said:

Hello all

I have several TB of native DSD files and i just output a DoP stream to my SOtM dx-USB HD. The dX-USB HD is daisy-chained with the MUTEC MC-3+ via AES/EBU and since this is already a PCM stream the MUTEC does no DSD-PCM Conversion. The Mytek DAC receives the DoP signal inside the PCM stream of the MUTEC via AES/EBU and finally plays native DSD.

Or in other words, to bypass the DSD-PCM conversion of the MC-3+ simply don't use it's USB input.

Best,

AudioPhil

Hi @AudioPhil would you, or anyone else know if MQA via Tidal will traverse the MUTEC process? I have a Rendu feeding a Mytek Brooklyn DAC via USB and was thinking of changing to Aes/EBU into the DAC via MUTEC USB from the Rendu. But I wanted to support MQA streaming 

On 2017-5-18 at 4:43 AM, gldgate said:

I am using a Mutec MC-3+ USB in my chain with Yggy (AES). I have enjoyed using the Mutec and have no regrets.The Mutec is a very nice audio swiss army knife. Another potential item to look at with Yggy is RedNet  with Dante AOIP - I'm using a D16 AES.  Of the dozen or so Yggy owners I've conversed with I can't think of one that prefers the USB implementation over AES. Not saying USB does not sound good on the Yggy. It does. AES just sounds better to my ears.

Hi @gldgate I'm considering the Mutec between my Rendu and Brooklyn DAC. In the UK the numbers are approx 500 for the Rendu, 900 for the Mutec and 1400 for the Brooklyn. The rednet is around 1300? Pounds this is. I'm wondering if my DAC cost 1400, my amp 800, my KEF LS50's 900 ish, is it mad to think of buying a reclocker for the similar money as one or my components? 

47 minutes ago, m5sime said:

Hi @gldgate I'm considering the Mutec between my Rendu and Brooklyn DAC. In the UK the numbers are approx 500 for the Rendu, 900 for the Mutec and 1400 for the Brooklyn. The rednet is around 1300? Pounds this is. I'm wondering if my DAC cost 1400, my amp 800, my KEF LS50's 900 ish, is it mad to think of buying a reclocker for the similar money as one or my components? 

IMO, the Mutec will provide incremental sq improvement but we are talking about law of diminishing returns. Audio is my main hobby so I allocate some discretionary funds each year I can play with. If you are looking for "night and day" differences I think your expectations are probably too high. If you are okay with improvement at the margins than you will probably be satisfied. Most mutec dealers that I am aware of will let you return the product for a restocking fee so you can always spend some time with the product first hand to see if you like it in your system.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

55 minutes ago, gldgate said:

IMO, the Mutec will provide incremental sq improvement but we are talking about law of diminishing returns. Audio is my main hobby so I allocate some discretionary funds each year I can play with. If you are looking for "night and day" differences I think your expectations are probably too high. If you are okay with improvement at the margins than you will probably be satisfied. Most mutec dealers that I am aware of will let you return the product for a restocking fee so you can always spend some time with the product first hand to see if you like it in your system.

Thank you! I have pretty high expectations with this level of spend given how comparable it is to my main components. I was likely going to spend a similar amount as my dac on a new amp as thinking this might be the next bottleneck.  I will see about a sale or return based on impact thank you 

@m5simeI recommend from your posts elsewhere, and from your setup up so far, to hold off until the new Mytek amp is available. Your Cambridge integrated is partnered well to their network player, but you've stepped up your source (mR+Brooklyn). The Mytek claim for a Class D to sound like Class A triodes is intriguing, and utilising the setup up so the Brooklyn's pre-amp will likely be more resolving. The Mutec is ideal for those who have DACs with a certainty their Digital input outfavour AES to USB i.e. Schitt Yggy. 

14 minutes ago, k-man said:

@m5simeI recommend from your posts elsewhere, and from your setup up so far, to hold off until the new Mytek amp is available. Your Cambridge integrated is partnered well to their network player, but you've stepped up your source (mR+Brooklyn). The Mytek claim for a Class D to sound like Class A triodes is intriguing, and utilising the setup up so the Brooklyn's pre-amp will likely be more resolving. The Mutec is ideal for those who have DACs with a certainty their Digital input outfavour AES to USB i.e. Schitt Yggy. 

Thanks @k-man - I will be following the Brooklyn Amplifier closely given my Brooklyn DAC. Im not sure that entirely concludes my head scratching on how much to change the source aspects to the Brooklyn DAC. The Mutec seems rave reviews, but quite an investment for a tweak (in my view and at my level of spend). The deal breaker will be not having the ability to stream MQA in the future given this was a reason I bought the Brooklyn a long time ago.

Fascinating times! I remain impressed Mytek have 2 x 300W (@8W) in the chassis in Class D. I have been following Class D closely for some time and know most of the modules that suppliers tend to use. My purchase finger has been hovering over a Nord UK Amp for some time (based on NC500 modules).

29 minutes ago, m5sime said:

The deal breaker will be not having the ability to stream MQA in the future given this was a reason I bought the Brooklyn a long time ago.

Check the Brooklyn's info to see if they accept an MQA signal for decoding from AES as well as USB.

7 minutes ago, k-man said:

Check the Brooklyn's info to see if they accept an MQA signal for deciding from AES as well as USB.

I have raised a ticket with Mytek and also asked on the Brooklyn forum page on CA. The MQA user guide from Mytek only speaks of the USB input.

19 hours ago, m5sime said:

Hi @AudioPhil would you, or anyone else know if MQA via Tidal will traverse the MUTEC process? I have a Rendu feeding a Mytek Brooklyn DAC via USB and was thinking of changing to Aes/EBU into the DAC via MUTEC USB from the Rendu. But I wanted to support MQA streaming 

Hello

I use a MUTEC MC-3+USB and a Brookly DAC myself, MQA works perfectly find (the SOtM dx-USB HD is in front of the MUTEC).

Please see details about my setup here: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/reference-system.pdf

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

On 22.5.2017 at 5:01 PM, m5sime said:

Thank you! So your MQA light comes on just fine with AES/EBU? (sorry to ask). 

Hi

Yes sure, MQA logo is displayed on the Brooklyn in the expected color, and everything else is also working like a charm :)

As far as i understand the MQA format is transport-agnostic, so it won't matter if you use USB, SP-DIF, AES/EBU, I2S or whatsoever.

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

4 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

Hi

Yes sure, MQA logo is displayed on the Brooklyn in the expected color, and everything else is also working like a charm :)

As far as i understand the MQA format is transport-agnostic, so it won't matter if you use USB, SP-DIF, AES/EBU, I2S or whatsoever.

Best,

AudioPhil

Thank you @AudioPhil !! I had put a question in parallel to Mytek support and they confirmed today what you said already (and have just added). But adding a comment about no processing/volume etc as below.. 

MQA works on every Brooklyn's input - USB/AES/S/PDIF and TOSLINK.
There is no obstacle for it to work with any unit between it. There is one condition:
Transmission has to be bit perfect in whole signal chain ingoing to the Brooklyn. 
Meaning there can not be set any effects, balance, even volume has to be set on 100%.