IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Need a picture, really? The text is VERY straight forward...

I have been happily using one for over a year and at least with the old instructions found the supplemental photos posted here very helpful for initial setup.

Not everyone learns the same way. Some folks are more visual learners than others are. That does not make them dim.

Adding photos or graphics cannot hurt. It can only add value even when added to straight forward written instructions.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Thanks Julian. Much appreciated. If I may suggest something- a picture tells a thousand words. Perhaps you could put a picture of how the settings should look, with all the right lights lit up. Hard to get it wrong that way.

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the feedback on the quick start guide. I agree that a picture probably would help making it even easier. We wanted to keep the document as short as possible, but I'll think about adding a picture in the next revision.

What I'm even more exited about though is that we are bouncing around ideas for a (series of) quick start videos and tutorials, which I believe will ultimately be way more useful than a PDF these days. I'm actually interested in a couple of people interested in helping me with this by sharing their experience and optimum settings for Windows platforms and media players such as JRMC, HQ, and Room. We are doing our best to gather as much information as feasible on our own, but it's virtually impossible to do this for all existing configurations.

If anybody is interested in providing some insights, please send me a PM!

Thanks a bunch,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

• 3 weeks later...

What happened to the Mutec Ref 10 master clock that was 'immanent' for a large part of 2016? Have I missed something?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

What happened to the Mutec Ref 10 master clock that was 'immanent' for a large part of 2016? Have I missed something?

Can the MC3.1+ do a reclock / external and output from the clock generator at the same time. I have not tried but would like to know if the clock outputs are always on?

A novel way to connect 2 MC3.1+ 's in series with a OCXO or better clocking it (External + Reclock) then use this unit to provide clock output 10M to a 1st unit seems like it would work well?

Hi,

Just a verification, is Mutec mc-3+ USB compliant USB Audio Class 2 device ? (just to verify this item can work correctly with network drive powered by a Linux kernel USB Audio Class 2 compliant).

Thanks

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

Hi,

Just a verification, is Mutec mc-3+ USB compliant USB Audio Class 2 device ? (just to verify this item can work correctly with network drive powered by a Linux kernel USB Audio Class 2 compliant).

Thanks

I'm using my mc3+ usb with Fedora server, planet ccrma rt kernel and mpd. No problem.

Hi there,

No, you haven't missed anything. We have in fact been a bit quiet about the REF 10 simply because I didn't want to make any promises without having a reliable road-map. The good news is however that we're really zoning in on it: at the moment we have a couple of pre-production units rotating among our beta testers. Just in the last couple of weeks we've done demos at two of London's premier mastering studios and the feedback has been incredible. So I'm very confident that we'll have more detailed news for you very soon.

Best regards and thanks for your patience,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Can the MC3.1+ do a reclock / external and output from the clock generator at the same time. I have not tried but would like to know if the clock outputs are always on?

A novel way to connect 2 MC3.1+ 's in series with a OCXO or better clocking it (External + Reclock) then use this unit to provide clock output 10M to a 1st unit seems like it would work well?

Hi!

Just to clarify, we are talking about the MC-3+ or MC-3+USB, correct? The reason I'm asking is because MUTEC also makes a MC-3.1 clock generator without re-clocking.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi!

Just to clarify, we are talking about the MC-3+ or MC-3+USB, correct? The reason I'm asking is because MUTEC also makes a MC-3.1 clock generator without re-clocking.

Julian

Sorry, did'nt know the many products.

It is the MC3.1+ USB.

I see the 4 green output clock lights always on for the 1st output

Cheers

Sorry, did'nt know the many products.

It is the MC3.1+ USB.

I see the 4 green output clock lights always on for the 1st output

Cheers

Hi there,

Yes, the clock outputs are always on. By default, they will output the clock rate of whatever reference you have selected, indicated by the first row of LEDs (x1 multiplier). You can also set the clock outputs to a variety of multiples of the reference clock rate, which would sometimes be required in studio environments in particular. That's what the other rows of LEDs are for. Please note though that this is entirely different from upsampling of audio streams and only applies to the clock signal itself.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

I am interested in the Mutec MC-3+ USB. However, I am concerned about my numerous native DSD files being converted to PCM for playback. In my experience, the conversion to PCM markedly degrades the sound quality. The music sounds muted with far less detail.

Would anyone who has a lot of native DSD music care to comment about their experience with the MC-3+ USB? Thanks.

Hi, I plan to use Mutec MC3 in between my Wyred4Sound modified Sonos Connect and the Dynacord DSP600 which I use S the DSP/DAC. The Sonos W4S device has a modified clock setting of 96Khz. The DAC in my DSP600 is able to precess 192/24. HOWVER, the internal structure of the DSP works at 48Khz. So my question would be how best to configure Mutec for best possible sound out of DSP600 to power amps? Reclock & internal at 48 1x or something else? Sonos is connected to Mutec via SPDIF and then Mutec send AES out to AES in of DSP600. Thanks!

I am interested in the Mutec MC-3+ USB. However, I am concerned about my numerous native DSD files being converted to PCM for playback. In my experience, the conversion to PCM markedly degrades the sound quality. The music sounds muted with far less detail.

Would anyone who has a lot of native DSD music care to comment about their experience with the MC-3+ USB? Thanks.

How are you listening to DSD now?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hello all

I have several TB of native DSD files and i just output a DoP stream to my SOtM dx-USB HD. The dX-USB HD is daisy-chained with the MUTEC MC-3+ via AES/EBU and since this is already a PCM stream the MUTEC does no DSD-PCM Conversion. The Mytek DAC receives the DoP signal inside the PCM stream of the MUTEC via AES/EBU and finally plays native DSD.

Or in other words, to bypass the DSD-PCM conversion of the MC-3+ simply don't use it's USB input.

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi, I plan to use Mutec MC3 in between my Wyred4Sound modified Sonos Connect and the Dynacord DSP600 which I use S the DSP/DAC. The Sonos W4S device has a modified clock setting of 96Khz. The DAC in my DSP600 is able to precess 192/24. HOWVER, the internal structure of the DSP works at 48Khz. So my question would be how best to configure Mutec for best possible sound out of DSP600 to power amps? Reclock & internal at 48 1x or something else? Sonos is connected to Mutec via SPDIF and then Mutec send AES out to AES in of DSP600. Thanks!

Sonos as far as I can remember is Redbook only, with that, the MC-3+USB does a reasonable job of cleaning that signal. It makes a remarkable difference to $200 Blu-ray player's CD S/PDIF output that's actually listenable. The MC-3+USB does not SRC, so whatever the source will deliver will be sent out, yes as AES3.

For preference, a computer with USB out to the MC-3+USB, AES3 to a DAC, like a Schiit Yggdrasil to a pre-amp and power amps would certainly make a remarkable change to what's delivered to the speakers. Are the speakers that strange to warrant a Dynacord? That device surely adds DSP distortions?

Software players like Jriver mangle DSD, if that's your experience I would agree. HQPlayer is a different kettle of fish, that conversion works provided the right filter and modulator is used for the DAC.

The principle reason for DSD to PCM conversion is that DSD can't be re-clocked (not yet), so a conversion to PCM is necessary. I have a DSD capable DAC which handles native DSD (Playback Designs MPD-3), but I prefer the Mutec treatment from the same USB source. The Mutec can handle DoP or native DSD, doesn't matter, either works.

Sonos as far as I can remember is Redbook only, with that, the MC-3+USB does a reasonable job of cleaning that signal. It makes a remarkable difference to $200 Blu-ray player's CD S/PDIF output that's actually listenable. The MC-3+USB does not SRC, so whatever the source will deliver will be sent out, yes as AES3.

For preference, a computer with USB out to the MC-3+USB, AES3 to a DAC, like a Schiit Yggdrasil to a pre-amp and power amps would certainly make a remarkable change to what's delivered to the speakers. Are the speakers that strange to warrant a Dynacord? That device surely adds DSP distortions?

Hi thanks for the reply. For starters, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need the USB version of the device so not sure what the context is there. For Sonos, I'm using a modded version (https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrades-and-mods/sonos-connect-modified) which is factory modded to 96Khz. Fairly irrelevant overall as Deezer Elite only streams files 44.1/16 I believe.

Also, I run a full active Maggie 3.6 4-way system with multisubs (3 15", 1 12") hence the need for digital crossovers/DSP. Although for freqs 200hz+ I do not use any PEQ or similar, only apply the crossovers.

With that said, with my earlier-explained setup in mind still looking to find out what the optimal configuration would be for the MC3+. Thanks.

Software players like Jriver mangle DSD, if that's your experience I would agree. HQPlayer is a different kettle of fish, that conversion works provided the right filter and modulator is used for the DAC.

The principle reason for DSD to PCM conversion is that DSD can't be re-clocked (not yet), so a conversion to PCM is necessary. I have a DSD capable DAC which handles native DSD (Playback Designs MPD-3), but I prefer the Mutec treatment from the same USB source. The Mutec can handle DoP or native DSD, doesn't matter, either works.

Thanks for your response! I use JRiver to stream native DSD to microRendu to Auralic Vega DAC via USB. Using DSD/DoP the sound quality is muted with less detail. I experienced the same degradation playing DSD files on a DAP that utilized DSD/DoP, so I have a lot of trepidation about the conversion process.

If I use the Mutec with native DSD, what is the benefit without re-clocking?

Hi thanks for the reply. For starters, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need the USB version of the device so not sure what the context is there. For Sonos, I'm using a modded version (https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrades-and-mods/sonos-connect-modified) which is factory modded to 96Khz. Fairly irrelevant overall as Deezer Elite only streams files 44.1/16 I believe.

Also, I run a full active Maggie 3.6 4-way system with multisubs (3 15", 1 12") hence the need for digital crossovers/DSP. Although for freqs 200hz+ I do not use any PEQ or similar, only apply the crossovers.

With that said, with my earlier-explained setup in mind still looking to find out what the optimal configuration would be for the MC3+. Thanks.

Hi Uros,

As "One and a half" pointed out further up, the MC-3+ (or the MC-3+USB) will re-clock at whatever sampling rate of the source material and will not perform upsampling of PCM streams. So if you play back at 96k from Sonos, that's exactly what the MC-3+ will pass on to the DAC. So your setting on the MC-3+ would be "RE-CLOCK" + "INTERNAL".

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi All,

Just received my MC-3+ USB with 1.1.0 firmware. My source is MacBook Pro (Siera 10.12.3) with Airdirvana Plus 2.6.6. I have a problem of sometime the MC-3+ just stop playing the sound, while the Audirvana is still playing. When I try to stop or pause the music on the Audirvana, the program just freeze. To solve the problem, I turn the MC-3+ off and on again, and the sound comeback again. For the listening session of 2-4 hours, I have to turn the MC-3+ on/off for 2-3 times.

Anyone experiencing the same problem? or known what might have cased it? Thanks

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

I have been trying the new upsampling features in Roon. In my set-up I am running a Windows 10 PC, Ethernet to a microRendu, USB to a Mutec MC3+USB. If I set the mR's RoonReady settings to DoP, then I can send DSD64 to the Mutec, this sends PCM 176.4 to the DAC (a Devialet in my case), everything appears to be as it should be.

If I set the mR's RoonReady settings to native DSD, I get no sound and loose the pull down menu options in Roon to upsample to DSD. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a simple case that the Mutec will only accept DoP? I have now tried almost everything I can think of, and it simply does not work. Can it be done?

A second question, when running successfully using DoP, I cannot find anyway to set Roon above DSD64, there is no option in the menus for DSD128 for example. Am I missing something?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.