Rate this topic

For fun, a cheap Sony BD player (weight <1kg) coax output was fed to the Mutec. The process didn't turn the SQ into a silk purse from a sow's ear, but did a reasonable job of cleaning up the mess from the output. Give it a shot for sure.

Thanks for the info, will give it a try, when I get a Mutec! (it is on my wish list!)

Jim

A new Mutec MC-3+ is on it's way to me. Christian thinks the one I got possibly had a hardware fault.

I am very happy with the quick responsiveness from Mutec, Sonic Distribution, and Vintage King. All were friendly and helpful. Looking forward to having the device in my system long term...

My system here

Anyone interested in a Mutec MC-3+? I am the original owner and I have all packaging. Unit is in pristine shape. Just looking to fund some other things I want to try out in my system. PM if interested.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I have a Mutec MC-3+ that I wish I could get updated the same way the Mutec MC-3+ USB was updated.... Whatever they did to the clock and how it filters and does it's goodness... the MC-3+ needs to have the same update! Minus USB obviously.

I am considering modifying my Mutec MC3+USB to allow connection of a decent LPSU. I must admit that I am a little reluctant to perform surgery on an item still under guarantee, but I'm guessing these things should be reliable enough that this fairly low risk. The question is, is it worth the risk and effort? Any advice from those that have tried this?

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, sPS-500, SOtM modified switch, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.

I am considering modifying my Mutec MC3+USB to allow connection of a decent LPSU. I must admit that I am a little reluctant to perform surgery on an item still under guarantee, but I'm guessing these things should be reliable enough that this fairly low risk. The question is, is it worth the risk and effort? Any advice from those that have tried this?

If you're anything like me, realistically most equipment will be surpassed and replaced within a couple of years, so I'd take resale value seriously and not bother with the effort. There are always other upgrades like power conditioners or cables. I was amazed just last week by how much better my new (second hand) digital xlr cable was. Would a psu upgrade to my Mutec have provided that kind of lift? Unconvinced

I am considering modifying my Mutec MC3+USB to allow connection of a decent LPSU. --- The question is, is it worth the risk and effort? Any advice from those that have tried this?
I've done it with the MC-3+. Quite easy task. Internal psu board can be put back easily.

In two decent setups there was very litte to no improvement soundwise.

MC-3+ USB has even better internal power handling...

hth

Ulli

Its reversible. I heard good things, personally I would do it :)

Hi

I've done it on a Mutec MC-1.1+ (digital splitter, worth 350eur). Not the same price than MC-3+, but I took off the internal PS and replaced it by a DIY : much better. I don't regret "no guarantee anymore" and "impossible to resell it", as SQ has improved.

Anyhow, Mutec products are top notch, and I'm not ready to sell mine anyway as it is a key device in my setup.

But, I must admit that the big improvement I got, seems to be related to a very bad & noisy current in my flat. This is why Modix had a small instead of a big improvement.

Mutec products are great anyway, but any good product can be optiimized in some extend.

I would say :

- if you're very happy with your MC3+

- thus, don't plan at all to resell it (or simply you don't care about the few pennies you'd get by resell it)

- plan to give it a top efficient external PS (see my sign. to have an idea of the DIY PS I use : much better than the batteries I used previously ; cheap (50Eur), cold, fun to make)

=> go for it !

My 2 cents

Rgds

Hi all,

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I still thought it'd be good for some of you to know that MUTEC will be exhibiting at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver, CO this weekend. We're teaming up with our partners at YourFinalSystem.com and Sonic Distribution to put together a room with a great listening setup including the MC-3+ Smart Clock USB. I unfortunately can't be there myself, but MUTEC's CEO Christian Peters will be around to say hello to or to answer your questions.

Learn more about our presence at RMAF 2016 here!

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Got the MC3 + USB today and just hooked it up to the Lampizator Big7 on AES/EBU and it beats the crap out of the USB Amanero in.

Sounds really organic and musical out of the box so will give it a few days to settle before commenting much more.

I am feeding it off a dedicated Audio PC with all Linear supplies, with A JCat USB card going through a Regen then into the MC3.

I expect this will cause a stir in the field of USB to SPdif convertors, my first foray into this field and I am glad I made the jump and the Big7 is loving the change from USB for over a year now, never knew what I was missing.

Cheers,

Pearse.

Hi Pearse

I followed through on your comments from last year. My Big7 is sounding way better off a Mutec and SPDIF. 50 hours on the Mutec and spdif cable has really set things alight

The cable is BNC to BNC so changing the RCA connector on the Lampi to BNC may add some more (and the wire off the spdif within the Lampi looks to be common or garden rather than 75 ohm). I've got a spare linear supply so there will be gains at the Mutec end too.

I headed down this route before I saw your posts on the JLSounds USB boards. Have you finished up using Mutec+AES or USB (or both) to talk to the Lampi?

Thanks

Source: Diskless fanless PC Win Server12, fed from HDPlex linear supply and 19v pico

All SSDs on JCat battery supplies - Roon+HQPlayer - JCat USB - Lampi Big 7

Amps: Merill Audio Veritas

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : Kubula-Sosna Elation I/C and speaker

Have heard whisperings there is a Ref10 already in Colorado for RMAF.

YFS, Mutec, and EMM Labs Team Up for RMAF 2016!

Here are some shots of our exquisite listening setup at RMAF including the REF10 prototype to drool over:

https://www.facebook.com/mutecpro/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1091327204281742

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi Pearse

I followed through on your comments from last year. My Big7 is sounding way better off a Mutec and SPDIF. 50 hours on the Mutec and spdif cable has really set things alight

The cable is BNC to BNC so changing the RCA connector on the Lampi to BNC may add some more (and the wire off the spdif within the Lampi looks to be common or garden rather than 75 ohm). I've got a spare linear supply so there will be gains at the Mutec end too.

I headed down this route before I saw your posts on the JLSounds USB boards. Have you finished up using Mutec+AES or USB (or both) to talk to the Lampi?

Thanks

Hi Kaka, the Mutec woke me up to the fact on how the Lampi was being held back by the stock Amanero USB I2s card.

Since then I have made big strides on USB but it does require a lot of work, Robs thread on the F1 started most of it.

Intona and battery powered Regen was the first step and then better USB I2s cards.

The JL Sounds pack have been replaced with the latest DIYINHK card with on board isolation and 3.3v supplies and more recently reclocking the I2s out.

It seems Lukasz has woken up to the potential improvements as well as I hear there is now a super clocked USB option from Lampizator.

A lot of separate PS supplies and different hardware for a good USB solution here now but its all about getting the best sound for me so the Mutec is gathering dust at the moment.

Tested a new prototype unit with battery powered isolation and regen in one box last weekend and it improved on the Intona and Regen so hopefully once this hits the market it will partially reduce the USB box count!!!

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Can't independently verify but saw at another site that Ref 10 now appears to be coming out in Q1'17 for estimated $5000.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

if you had to pick between the intona industrial or a mutec 1.2 which do members think would have the most impact on SQ overall?

They have different functions, the 1.2 is a usb to SPDIF converter with standard isolation and the intona is a usb isolation device. If your dac has only SPDIF input, then go for the mc-3 + USB since its a converter, 4kv isolation and reclocker but more expensive.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

HI and thanks again for the feedback. i do understand that these two products have different functions but their end goal is the same to improve SQ. here the mutec can be used as a bridge to go with your existing dac hence enhancing your dac's performance. the intona's function as a galvanic isolator to the usb bus blocking all noise from computer to dac. my question is if you had to take one or the other to a desert island which device would you go for with the projected highest impact on SQ. (As i understand imac to mutec usb input. mutec out via coaxial into dac coaxial input. dac out to amp)

I run USB from computer to Mutec. I have been running the new firmware since release and have had my Mutec LED's turned off. Recently I turned the LED's back on and I see in the REFERNCE that THREE lights are now lit instead of two - two were lit in previous firmware. My DAC only accepts PCM so my player converts DSD to 176.4, so NO DSD or DoP/DSD is being passed to the Mutec.

I see this in release notes:

"Mode change: The »USB-PCM« and »USB-DSD/DoP« references have now been unified as one USB-PCM/DSD/DoP reference.This is reflected on the front panel by the simultaneously illuminated top three LEDs »USB-PCM« and »USB-DSD/DoP«. The unit now auto-detects if a PCM or DSD/DoP stream is present."

Just checking with others running Firmware 1.1 and USB input - does your REFERENCE have the first three lights on? I am not having issues, just curious.

The situation so far: I am a post grad student living on limited means. since 2012 i have been using a yulong u100 with akg 550 cans. this was not a luxury but a must as i cannot live without music, but could not use regular speakers due to student digs. i decided to upgrade my setup at the start of the summer. my gradual set up now consists of a earmaxpro II otl tube amplifier. a schitt modi multibit dac. beyerdynamic dt 880 600 ohm headphones. entry level qed and cambridge audio usb and twin phono cables alongside a tacima mains conditioner. total cost so far- £1025 with a great deal i got on the earmax pro down from 699 to 525.

the final piece of the jigsaw is to improve the usb signal integrity and to add solid isolation. i have had excellent feedback from Julian at Mutec regarding the 1.2 and its ability to boost the usb signal and provide a good level of isolation. i have also had excellent feedback from Daniel at Intona regarding the industrial unit and its ability to provide full galvanic isolation at any usb speed and its ability to reclock and reproduce the usb signal by 100%_a point that i rarely see mentioned on the forum. The Mutec however is a true dac bridge in every sense of the word and has attracted excellent reviews. i do not have the luxury of being able to audition either of these devices and i can only afford one of them. (i fully realise that they fullfill different functions).

i would be most grateful if the most knowledgeable amongst you could suggest the right course of action for me in this situation. both items sell for around £320 each. I am not looking for an option here that fixes all ills (as there seems to be no one box does it all device) neither am i looking for a quick fix. i am however searching for the option that gives the biggest noticeable improvement in SQ. (listening to saxaphone on the best of ub40 vol.1 with the earmaxpro II glowing in the dark is like a volcanic eruption of nubile virgin mermaids with the tails positioned not too high up, but with just the right amount of extended sub tail flapping!!). many eternal thanks.

Edited by musickid

Hi musickid my experience so far with Regen, w4R RUR and Intona industrial is that each one of these units brought an improvement to my system. However, if I have to pick one that made the biggest improvement, it will be the intona.

I hope this helps.

Moussa

If using a device like the halide bridge and with that the optical input on the dac instead of the usb (halide state asynchrous operation for bridge via spdif as i understand) would you then not 1) be galvanically isolating the set up by using the optical in and 2) refining even more the signal to the dac? the one thing i don't know if it makes sense to use optical if i have usb on dac. just toying with different ideas.