Rate this topic

Anyone has any info on the break-in time?

Hi kzhtoo,

There is no break-in time with MUTEC equipment like you would expect with loudspeakers or headphones. Even so, it's always a good idea to let electronic devices warm up for 5-10 minutes so the components and oscillators can stabilize. I usually make excellent use of the short waiting time to get a coffee...

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Thank you for the reply. What would deactivating the 750hm termination do?

Julian, can you please let us know your thoughts on the impact of using a 50ohm output from an external clock to the 75ohm input of the Mutec? Would this impedance mismatch degrade the incoming clock signal?

Hi again,

Sorry about the delay but I wanted to check with our engineers on this first. Actually, we recommend leaving the internal termination set to 75 Ohms even when using a 50 Ohms external clock. There may be a slight shift in level, but no slurring of the slopes or any other interference. We've found that using a t-split with additional external terminator is more likely to cause problems due to the additional contact impedance. This also means that we advise you use a 50 ohms cable up until the input of the MC-3+ / MC-3+USB.

Hope this helps!

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi again,

Sorry about the delay but I wanted to check with our engineers on this first. Actually, we recommend leaving the internal termination set to 75 Ohms even when using a 50 Ohms external clock. There may be a slight shift in level, but no slurring of the slopes or any other interference. We've found that using a t-split with additional external terminator is more likely to cause problems due to the additional contact impedance. This also means that we advise you use a 50 ohms cable up until the input of the MC-3+ / MC-3+USB.

Hope this helps!

Julian

Thank you that helps a lot. Now, can someone recommend a good quality 50ohm cable?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

having heard about a new internal firmware coming , is it out ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / INTONA /T+A DSD8 dac / /  VFET NEMESIS amp / EMS field coil speaker

This one is top notch DR-510 / DB-510 ????????????????????????????????oyaide? ; unfortunately only 75 Ohm. So you would have to wait for the Ref10 ;)

Thats a nice looking cable. How much is that??

I am afraid of what the Ref10 will cost. Maybe we can do a group buy?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thank you that helps a lot. Now, can someone recommend a good quality 50ohm cable?

The AIRCELL7 is really good. There are also high quality 50 Ohm BNC connectors for that cable. Highly recommended.

Thats a nice looking cable. How much is that??

I am afraid of what the Ref10 will cost. Maybe we can do a group buy?

I guess you have an appropriate answer from *progear.

Otherwise : Oyaide DB-510 1.3m Digital Cable BNC - Shopping In Japan .NET

As far as Ref10 is concerned, I have already given the price I have been quoted some time ago which was around 3'200 EUR. Not sure if this included European VAT. So say between 2'800 and 3'200 EUR ex VAT.

The AIRCELL7 is really good. There are also high quality 50 Ohm BNC connectors for that cable. Highly recommended.

Just did a quick search and it does not seem this cable is available from a US reseller? This is also just the bare cable so I would need to find a place that sells connectors and make a custom cable for me?

Other components:

As far as Ref10 is concerned, I have already given the price I have been quoted some time ago which was around 3'200 EUR. Not sure if this included European VAT. So say between 2'800 and 3'200 EUR ex VAT.

Ouch. Thats significantly more expensive than the Cybershaft one (~$1300). Gotta wait for the Ref10 specs before we can make a comparison though the Cybershaft specs look really good. Not sure how much better the Ref10 clock and implementation can be.

Other components:

A slight side topic that perhaps one of you can help me with ...

I have put together a htpc (win 10) which I would like to use for playing my music library via Roon, HQPlayer, then reclocking via the Mutec. All tests have been positive so far. :-)

Now for the challenging part (at least for me ;-), I would like to play video via Kodi but when selecting the Mutec (either Direct Sound or Wasapi) in the Kodi audio settings, I am not getting any output. I am decoding all multi-channel to stereo via Kodi before passing on to the Mutec. Could it be an exclusivity conflict between the HQplayer and Kodi?

Any suggestions?

Bacon

Hi there,

Yes, MUTEC does use a custom-modified version of Thesycon driver, because we've found it's one of the best available. We've recently had the guys at JPLAY evaluate the MC-3+USB and they gave us terrific feedback for the driver and the overall sound quality performance. It seems like they were a bit surprised by how much their system benefited from the MC-3+USB ;-)

Julian

Hi Julian,

Thanks and its good to know that it uses the Thesycon drivers. It is indeed a very stable one in Windows OS and I am hoping that the control panel to set the buffers, latency, etc is enabled as well.

Yes, I am a Jplay user as well and aware of that thread you are talking about. I know folks here, like gldgate, uses it with Schiit Yggy to very good effect. I am interested to know if anyone is using it with the PS Audio DS DAC as well ?

Dev, I can confirm the control panel gas controls for buffer and sample size.

Other components:

Just plugged in my MUTEC mc-3+ USB for the first time. Using Jriver MC20, I am going BNC to the Yggy. Problem is I can't for the life of me get any sound to play. I installed the driver and the Mutec is recognized. I cycle through the various device options in JRMC such as WASAPI/ASIO/DIRECT to no avail. Any help will be appreciated.

Yes, I already did that. I finally got it working but I get an error anytime song sample rates change. What settings are you guys using?

Dev, I can confirm the control panel gas controls for buffer and sample size.

Thanks Tboooe.

Another question to the Mutec owners using with a DSD capable DAC - does the Mutec re-clocks and passes DoP as is or does it always converts into PCM ? In case it always converts to PCM, does it determine the sample rate on the fly ? From the description, it appears that it can do quad rate DSD (256) which seems to be equivalent to 384Khz. Are the SPDIF outputs, like the AES capable of handling such bandwidth ?

Thanks Tboooe.

Another question to the Mutec owners using with a DSD capable DAC - does the Mutec re-clocks and passes DoP as is or does it always converts into PCM ? In case it always converts to PCM, does it determine the sample rate on the fly ? From the description, it appears that it can do quad rate DSD (256) which seems to be equivalent to 384Khz. Are the SPDIF outputs, like the AES capable of handling such bandwidth ?

All DSD is converted to PCM at a fixed user selected sample rate up to 196 I believe. .

Other components:

All DSD is converted to PCM at a fixed user selected sample rate up to 196 I believe. .

You meant to say 192 I guess ?

That's right. The Mutec accepts native DSD to 256 and Dop to 128, my memory is poor on the DoP but 128 minimum.

DSD is a nightmare to reclock it's not technically possible, so the output is Pcm. The highest multiple of 44.1kHz is 4x so best to use 176.4. If your DAC is 96 only, then use 88KHz instead, so definitely adjustable .

I've been using DSD out from pc for months, settled on DSD128 input to the Mutec with 176.4 to the DAC.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

That's right. The Mutec accepts native DSD to 256 and Dop to 128, my memory is poor on the DoP but 128 minimum.

DSD is a nightmare to reclock it's not technically possible, so the output is Pcm. The highest multiple of 44.1kHz is 4x so best to use 176.4. If your DAC is 96 only, then use 88KHz instead, so definitely adjustable .

I've been using DSD out from pc for months, settled on DSD128 input to the Mutec with 176.4 to the DAC.

I am assuming the DSD /DoP conversion is independent of PCM signal and Mutec won't touch the PCM input stream but would just re-clock it as the incoming clock rate ?

On the DSD/DoP, is there any benefit of Mutec conversion vs doing it in the s/w, like Foobar, Jriver ? ?

So my DSD Dac supports 192Khz and DSD128. For DSD/Dop conversion, I would select the clock out as 176.4. Does this mean when I play a 192K PCM, the output is 176.4K ?