IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Julian, is the Mutec 3+ USB capable of being used in either European (230V) or US (110V) or would it require some modification if it was created for one market?

Not Julian here, but if you look on Mutec's web site, under the Technical Data for the MC-3+ USB, you will find this information : MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - MC-3+ USB

The Power Supply section seems to answer your question.

Hi,

Did you try to use one of your MC3+ usb as master clock for the Amethyst + the other MC3+usb ?

Hi,

Not yet. Waiting to test the Ref10 to make those kind of tests. I had the Amethyst just for 10 days, so I concentrated on the room correction/music server part of it. And I also tried to save time to listen to music ;)

Well, I should have the second Mutec+3 usb tomorrow.

If I am understanding the recent posts correctly that connecting them together using the BNC out to BNC in is the best for sound quality?

Is that correct?

I will also try AES/XLR.

If I am understanding the recent posts correctly that connecting them together using the BNC out to BNC in is the best for sound quality?

Is that correct?

I will also try AES/XLR.

Congratulations :)

I am not a big fan of the RCA cable with BNC extensions. I tried it and switched to AES/EBU. But if you have genuine BNC cables, with the appropriate impedance, this should work very well too.

Is that correct?

I will also try AES/XLR.

Please come back and share your thoughts.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Is that correct?

I will also try AES/XLR.

Hi Westy,

Congrats on the second MC-3+USB!

In our experience and that of several users we recommend a high quality BNC connection, which is why the MC-3+USB has an additional BNC S/P-DIF output. The reason is that high-grade BNC cables typically have better shielding than standard digital audio cables (obviously there will be exceptions), which further helps eliminate interference via the cable and connector. Keep the cable as short as possible, too. Since you're planning on cascading two MC-3+USBs though, an even better option will be to use the AES3id BNC output of the MC-3+USB since it delivers a higher voltage level than the S/P-DIF output. The second MC-3+USB in your chain will accept both signals (S/P-DIF and AES3id) on the same BNC input!

So to reiterate:

MC-3+USB #1 -> AES3id BNC out

MC-3+USB #2 -> S/P-DIF / AES3id BNC in

Select the S/P-DIF AES3id BNC option in the reference menu of the second MC-3+USB (bottom most LED).

As always and as I'm sure you know good cables matter and may affect your results in your particular setup.

Keep us posted!

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Julian,

Is the;

As you stated as MC-3+USB #1 > AES3id BNC out, the output described in the manual as AES3/11id out 4(which is labeled in the manual as #3), or is it the S/P-DIF out 3 (which is labeled in the manual as #2) ?

It makes my head spin. Thanks for the help.

Julian,

Is the;

As you stated as MC-3+USB #1 > AES3id BNC out, the output described in the manual as AES3/11id out 4(which is labeled in the manual as #3), or is it the S/P-DIF out 3 (which is labeled in the manual as #2) ?

It makes my head spin. Thanks for the help.

You're not alone! It was confusing to me as well at first.

I experimented until I was sure of which was which, but the short version is: refer to the back of the unit.

Output #4 is AES/11id, #3 is S/P-DIF.

The top of the two BNC audio outputs is AES, and the bottom is S/P-DIF.

The manual should be updated so the numbers in the list correspond with the numbers on the physical unit.

I experimented until I was sure of which was which, but the short version is: refer to the back of the unit.

The manual should be updated so the numbers in the list correspond with the numbers on the physical unit.

Dumb question...what would happen if I used the BNC Output #4 AES/11id of the Mutec into the RCA SPDIF input of my DAC? Of course I would need a BNC to RCA adapter for my cable.

Would my DAC fry itself? Is there any benefit to doing this?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Dumb question...what would happen if I used the BNC Output #4 AES/11id of the Mutec into the RCA SPDIF input of my DAC? Would my DAC fry itself? Is there any benefit to doing this?

Depends on the DAC. Most manufacturers give some headroom to their input circuit designs so the higher voltage of the AES3id won't fry anything (it might cause trouble when the DAC evaluates the incoming format), but you shouldn't use it unless your DAC is designed for it.

So, based on Julian's reply which output do I use from the 1st Mutec?

Now, before I comment, I must add that at this time I am also using a Intona > Recovery > and then the 2 Mutec's.

But... Oh baby! When I added the 2nd Mutec (connected together based on Julian suggestion with the assist of Luckbad), everything is waayy better! The Soundstage has become much deeper and natural sounding. The bass can go deeper and is very tuneful. The treble is better and vocalists seem to stand out on there own. The separation of different instruments in the mix is remarkable.

Tomorrow, I will just try the 2 Mutec's. and see if the other USB devices are a plus to use or not.

Ordered a Mutec USB, should be here next week. Hopefully this will prove to be the end of my source rectification project. It will be paired with an Intona to TotalDAC USB cable behind it, then into an Yggy via AES. After this, the madness definitely ends there.

Now, before I comment, I must add that at this time I am also using a Intona > Recovery > and then the 2 Mutec's.

But... Oh baby! When I added the 2nd Mutec (connected together based on Julian suggestion with the assist of Luckbad), everything is waayy better! The Soundstage has become much deeper and natural sounding. The bass can go deeper and is very tuneful. The treble is better and vocalists seem to stand out on there own. The separation of different instruments in the mix is remarkable.

Tomorrow, I will just try the 2 Mutec's. and see if the other USB devices are a plus to use or not.

Oh man. Looks like I need to save for another Mutec. Westy, do you use an audiophile usb card too? If not I am hopeful that I can just get another Mutec and not bother with Intona, usb cards, etc.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I can say that improvements were definitely heard with adding my iFI Micro USB 3.0.... so you can definitely improve on the USB input of the Mutec MC-3+ USB. It was noticeable enough that I didn't even have to unplug it after the first "without and with" test I did. I'm using Paul Pang's V2 USB card (which will get updated to V4 at some point)... so both things (and my WireWorld USB cables) or all of it definitely improves the sound.

I also have the 25Mhz OCXO Motherboard clock which helped out a lot as well.... so everything in the Digital Audio realm is really effected by timing...

Which is why Julian should send me a Ref-10 to test out! ;)

Ordered a Mutec USB, should be here next week. Hopefully this will prove to be the end of my source rectification project. It will be paired with an Intona to TotalDAC USB cable behind it, then into an Yggy via AES. After this, the madness definitely ends there.[/quote

I think you will be very happy. I can't remember anyone who has an Yggy/Mutec combo who did not hear an improvement over stock Yggy. For what it is worth I am also using a Wyred Recovery and though I think it may be a tad bit helpful I honestly don't know if I could tell the difference with Recovery in/out under a blind test. I'm sure the USB stuff is all very system dependent. Needless to say, after getting the Mutec I am not in the mood to rush out and buy any more USB helper gadgets.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Everyone,

Sorry for asking a question which is probably obvious to most of you, but I am new to the Mutec. Is there any advantage to re-clocking to 192/24 versus 96/24? Since we are not talking about up-sampling when re-clocking, I am a little confused here.

Thanks for your patience,

Bacon

Is there any advantage to re-clocking to 192/24 versus 96/24? Since we are not talking about up-sampling when re-clocking, I am a little confused here.

Hi Bacon,

Reclocking is a process where you use a high stability clock to improve the SQ of a digital sound flow, essentially in reducing the jitter (time inconsistencies) of the signal. In this process, you are not altering the sampling frequency of the sound flow. So reckocking to 24/192 does not mean that much if you allow me. You would reclock a 24/192 or a 24/96 signal.

If you want to change the sampling frequency, the process is called upsampling as you mentionned.

Now if you want to have a 24/192 signal at the end, I guess that its better to upsample first and then reclock, but that's typically a question I asked a long time ago here and which did not receive any answer yet.

Finally, is a 24/192 better than a 24/96 ? This is a subject of debate, and probably depends on the characteristics of your DAC.

Everyone,

Sorry for asking a question which is probably obvious to most of you, but I am new to the Mutec. Is there any advantage to re-clocking to 192/24 versus 96/24? Since we are not talking about up-sampling when re-clocking, I am a little confused here.

Thanks for your patience,

Bacon

Hi Bacon

Just to second/clarify what SwissBear said:

Re-Clocking = sample rate of audio stream stays the same

Up-sampling = sample rate of audio stream is changed to a higher sample rate

The MUTEC MC-3+ / MC-3+USB devices do not provide up-sampling capabilities. The MC-3+USB however offers DSD/DoP to PCM conversion, in which case you can select the outgoing PCM sample rate (44.1, 88.2, and 176.4 kHz).

Here's the kicker:

Both the MC-3+ and MC-3+USB also provide capabilities for an externally referenced re-clocking which is unique to MUTEC. The purpose is to further increase the accuracy of the re-clocking process by applying a super high-grade external reference like from a 10 MHz reference clock. Even so, there is no up-sampling happening and the audio sample rate stays the same.

Hope this helps!

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com