IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

One and a half, Thank you for your help regarding the usage of 2 Mutec -3+usb.

I presently have in my chain a Bryston BDP-2 > Intona > Recovery > Mutec-3+usb > PS Audio Direct Stream. And the sound is great! I have tried going direct from my source via AES/XLR into the PS Audio and it sounded ok but flatter compared to using the USB combo's.

So, next I would also like to try dual Mutec -3 +usb's. I'm getting really close to ordering it, so if someone else has a direct comparison with using the dual Mutec's, please speak up.

I presently have in my chain a Bryston BDP-2 > Intona > Recovery > Mutec-3+usb > PS Audio Direct Stream. And the sound is great! I have tried going direct from my source via AES/XLR into the PS Audio and it sounded ok but flatter compared to using the USB combo's.

Hi Westy,

You have probably read that I have two Mutec MC3+ USB. For room correction purposes I recently changed my source, which was a Mac Mini (USB) -> 2xMC3+ USB (AES/EBU) -> Devialet D900 to Trinnov Amethyst (AES/EBU) -> MC3+ USB (AES/EBU) -> Devialet D900.

I enjoyed very much the opportunity to get rid of the USB interface. I am streaming the music which is still sitting on the MacMini through the Airport interface (free of any HF interference). The Trinnov is equipped with a linear power supply, and enjoys very limited HF interference as well.

In your case, I wonder why you do not start installing your Mutec MC3+ USB between your Bryston BDP-2 and your PS Audio using AES/EBU interfaces. You would enjoy getting rid of any USB (which is the ultimate goal) and the benefit of the reclocking of the Mutec. You would also get rid of the Intona and Recovery and all the USB cables involved ;).

In my experience, cheap professional cables (I use Mogami Pro Gold AES/EBU cables) could do it for few bucks.

You could then decide whether a second stage of reclocking is appropriate. Or if you prefer to wait for the Ref10 to be launched and hopefully improve the results of the MC-3+ USB.

SwissBear, Thanks for the comments.

I have used the Bryston via AES/XLR to the Mutec and then AES/XLR to the PS Audio. But, to me it sounds better with the Intona and the Recovery before the Mutec using the Curious usb's.

I agree you would think less would be better but in my case it is not.

What is the Ref10 launch?

Hi Westy,

You have probably read that I have two Mutec MC3+ USB. For room correction purposes I recently changed my source, which was a Mac Mini (USB) -> 2xMC3+ USB (AES/EBU) -> Devialet D900 to Trinnov Amethyst (AES/EBU) -> MC3+ USB (AES/EBU) -> Devialet D900.

I enjoyed very much the opportunity to get rid of the USB interface. I am streaming the music which is still sitting on the MacMini through the Airport interface (free of any HF interference). The Trinnov is equipped with a linear power supply, and enjoys very limited HF interference as well.

Hi Swissbear,

For about 12 months I used the RME HDSPe AIO AES3 out to DAC and a little colouration from using that mixer, the sound from HQ player was OK..... but I missed the spark and resolution of DSD. Could only get this with USB, and if not using the MC-3+USB the sound was just too rough.

Agree the cabling is a problem and too many of do need some management, but TBH, the Lindy el cheapo 15cm on the PC side of things work very well indeed. For AES3 I use the Canare cable with Neutrik gold to the DAC and am pretty happy with this arrangement.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I have used the Bryston via AES/XLR to the Mutec and then AES/XLR to the PS Audio. But, to me it sounds better with the Intona and the Recovery before the Mutec using the Curious usb's.

Ref 10 link:

http://www.mutec-net.com/downloads/Ref10_InfoSheet_2014_E.pdf?PHPSESSID=bb6ijqqdl5trk5eiulfivuhac1

Note that this may not be the current infosheet.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Great write up there!

Tip. To get that little extra performance out, see the red tipped RCA coax cable on the MC-3+USB? Use the supplied BNC to RCA adapter and connect to the BNC S/PDIF Out 3 connector instead.

Why did you have to go and ruin things for me... ha ha.

So I did try what you suggested, I ran the BNC SPDIF out of the MC-3+USB and into the CO on the MC-3+... and I think I like it better than the AES connection.... I've gone back and forth multiple times and to me its just a little bit more real and with slightly more detail (It's very close and going back and forth took me about 8 times to realize I was hearing more with the BNC CO). I don't know what exactly it is, but I'm liking this connection better then the AES Balanced one.

I wonder why this is... could it be the 75 Ohm vs. the 100 Ohm? Is the CO better than the AES on the two units? I've always pretty much assumed that the AES was the way to go... but I think I might stick with this. Course it could also (though I don't know exactly why) have something to do with a slightly better RCA cable being used in between the two than the AES BlueJeans Cable....!??!

Crazy! I think I'll keep listening like this then switch back and demo my 5 second track multiple times again with going back and forth between the two. Might also grab a BNC to RCA terminated cable as well just to have a nice one foot cable between the two than the 1 meter cable I have now....

Thanks for the suggestion One and a Half!!!

Why did you have to go and ruin things for me... ha ha.

I wonder why this is... could it be the 75 Ohm vs. the 100 Ohm? Is the CO better than the AES on the two units? I've always pretty much assumed that the AES was the way to go... but I think I might stick with this. Course it could also (though I don't know exactly why) have something to do with a slightly better RCA cable being used in between the two than the AES BlueJeans Cable....!??!

Wow, didn't think the BNC would be better than the AES3, but there you go :)

One look at that, it tells me it's not cheap. Then again great performance never is. EUR4000+?

I believe another poster had mentioned 3000 Euros.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Hi Westy, I didn't get you had made this test with MC-3+ USB in between. If USB is an absolute must for you, the best I tried is this one afi(s) - USB module.

You might want to have a look at it. What makes it a must try in my opinion is the perfect galvanic isolation it offers, and again removes the need for all the Intona aso...

Just my 2c.

Wow, didn't think the BNC would be better than the AES3, but there you go :)

Well BNC connection has the reputation to be better than AES/EBU in many cases. That's what I read anyway. Pb is that there are not so many such connections on HiFi equipment (I do not have any on my Amethyst apart from clock input, neither do I have any on the Devialet), apart from Mutec which is more a pro-audio than HiFi to start with, and where BNC is mainly used for clock input/output.

Hi Westy, I didn't get you had made this test with MC-3+ USB in between. If USB is an absolute must for you, the best I tried is this one afi(s) - USB module.

You might want to have a look at it. What makes it a must try in my opinion is the perfect galvanic isolation it offers, and again removes the need for all the Intona aso...

Just my 2c.

Could you breakdown the difference between the AFIS and the AFI. There has been mention of both on here, however I can't glean exactly what the differences between the two are (of course, the the AFIS definitely does more) in terms of audio playback. Any info will be much appreciated. Hopefully this is not a curated thread, and this inquiry is acceptable on here, otherwise, we can definitely take this to PM. Thanks in advance.

I believe another poster had mentioned 3000 Euros.

Last quotation I had was 3'200 EUR. Not sure whether this includes European VAT or not.

So 3'200 +/- 20% probably is the ballpark where it should play. But most important is 'how will it sound'. What is a little bit surprising is the lack of recent enthusiasm about this technology on the German forum

aktives-hoeren.de • Forum anzeigen - Bausteine für aktives HiFi

They have been very excited about Mutec products, external clocks, aso... for months, and they are very quiet now. Is it calm before storm and a deluge of enthusiasm arround Munich announcements ? Will see, Munich is in less than a month from now ;)

Could you breakdown the difference between the AFIS and the AFI. There has been mention of both on here, however I can't glean exactly what the differences between the two are (of course, the the AFIS definitely does more) in terms of audio playback. Any info will be much appreciated. Hopefully this is not a curated thread, and this inquiry is acceptable on here, otherwise, we can definitely take this to PM. Thanks in advance.

OK. AFI has one input only. Mainly dedicated to USB. The output is flexible and can be decided when you order (AES/EBU or BNC or RCA).

AFIS (S stands for switch) has four inputs. One can be USB (in this case you get the same external device than AFI/USB to process the USB signal and galvanically isolate it from the AFIS box), and three other inputs, which can be defined when you order (select from Toslink, BNC, AES/EBU, aso). You can select which input is active via a commutator.

You also get four outputs if I'm not mistaken.

Last price I got were 1'170 EUR for AFI/USB and 1'980 for AFIS/USB.

They have been very excited about Mutec products, external clocks, aso... for months, and they are very quiet now. Is it calm before storm and a deluge of enthusiasm arround Munich announcements ? Will see, Munich is in less than a month from now ;)

Yeah, you could say so ;-) There will be more news about the REF10 soon, but please note that the info sheet mentioned earlier is indeed quite old and will be replaced soon. Christian Peters and the MUTEC engineers are working hard to have an update for you as soon as possible, but we are also trying to avoid releasing any further news before it's not 100% locked down! Thanks for your patience.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Last quotation I had was 3'200 EUR. Not sure whether this includes European VAT or not.

So 3'200 +/- 20% probably is the ballpark where it should play. But most important is 'how will it sound'. What is a little bit surprising is the lack of recent enthusiasm about this technology on the German forum

aktives-hoeren.de • Forum anzeigen - Bausteine für aktives HiFi

Just some ideas why things have gone quiet.

The initial phase was discovery of a new technology, and the months that went on, was trying to figure it out. Trying this and that, and finally reaching a goal where everything just sounded right. Nothing much else to talk about since everything is working and the SQ is excellent, no more work to do or jabber now, just listen.

Happens with most threads though, the CA thread is a few more pages in length :) The REF10 would be great for a stacked MC-3+USB and a DAC that accepts a clock input. Did I see an Esoteric DAC having such a facility the other week?

Well my point was about the quietness around the 10Mhz clock in general.

Many bloggers got excited about their own DIY clocks and the enthusiasm faded quickly. I guess it must be difficult to exceed the performance of reclocking of the MC-3+ USB which is excellent as it is. So I guess Mutec had a hard time finding the very best solutions to exceed its own performance and I just hope we will be favorably impressed at Munich.

BTW, the Amethyst I bought has an external clock input, so I'm very excited too ;)

The initial phase was discovery of a new technology, and the months that went on, was trying to figure it out. Trying this and that, and finally reaching a goal where everything just sounded right. Nothing much else to talk about since everything is working and the SQ is excellent, no more work to do or jabber now, just listen.

....Happens with most threads though, the CA thread is a few more pages in length :)

+1

I think that those of use using one are just enjoying it. Quiet is MUCH better than what happens in some other threads on CA where the Trolls eventually crawl out and start a contentious brawl. Just drop in to the Yggy thread to see how badly things can go!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

This thread has been very informative, and I enjoy the manner in which members on here are not tribal about what they are currently using. I'd also like to commend Julian on his professionalism display on how a member of the trade should act on threads that involve a product with vested interest.

This thread has been very informative, and I enjoy the manner in which members on here are not tribal about what they are currently using. I'd also like to commend Julian on his professionalism display on how a member of the trade should act on threads that involve a product with vested interest.

Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm glad to contribute as best and quickly as possible.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Julian, when the new firmware update comes it out, will there be a way to revert to the previous version in case something goes wrong with the update or if perhaps people may prefer how the previous version operates (or sounds)?

Hi tboooe,

I know it's taken a bit longer, but nevertheless I can now confirm that it will be possible to revert to a previous version of the MC-3+USB firmware in case something goes wrong. We really don't expect anybody to not appreciate the improvements of the new version, but ultimately there can always be an unexpected problem, compatibility issue or some other reason for a user needing to revert and so we're happy to provide a way to do exactly that.

More on the update to be announced soon!

Thanks,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com