IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Swissbear, Thanks for your comments. Yes, I do know about the copyright limitations. That is why the Chinese adapter works so well. It takes the HDMI out and converts it to Coaxial and optical. That's how I have been recording to the Tascam previously. But into the Mutec before the Tascam I am getting the occasional dropouts every few minutes.

One and half. I never though about trying the Mutec clock output into the Tascam clock input. hmmm.. Gotta try that.

Swissbear, One and half,

Update: Yes, I needed to turn my Oppo to PCM and that took care of the dropouts. Thank you.

Right now, I am using the clock out from the Mutec playing a Sheryl Crow Blue ray concert on the Oppo to my Tascam and oh boy!

I am hearing such a much improved soundstage. Thank you.

Now this means I will go back and redo all of my SACD's and DVD-A's and Blu Ray concerts. Glad I am retired.

Swissbear, One and half,

Update: Yes, I needed to turn my Oppo to PCM and that took care of the dropouts. Thank you.

Right now, I am using the clock out from the Mutec playing a Sheryl Crow Blue ray concert on the Oppo to my Tascam and oh boy!

I am hearing such a much improved soundstage. Thank you.

Now this means I will go back and redo all of my SACD's and DVD-A's and Blu Ray concerts. Glad I am retired.

Great job westy on taming the drop outs :) There are methods to rip DVD-A and Blu-ray some work OK, some, well, by the time you add so much software and configure they way you want it, you may as well stick with real time recording. Which Tascam do you have? Bought a DA-3000 though, yet to start recording the SACD collection, not really interested in the PS3 method, but keen to work analog in to the Tascam to DSD64 or 96PCM, will trial either.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hey All - thought I'd add my configuration / 2 cents.

Dropped in a Mutec MC-3+USB into my high end chain (Mac mini server -> USB Regen with custom PS, Yggy, Eddie Current Studio, HE1K headphones) and wow. This thing kicks arse on the Regen with custom PS. After some testing, I left the Regen in the stream feeding the Mutec; it seems to provide a subtle improvement. Anyway, this thread helped me run down the options, so a big thanks to all.

Just curious which dealer people in the US are buying their MC-3+usb from (Markertech, Vintage King Audio, etc)? It looks like the prices are about that same $1000 so I want to go with the dealer with the best service, etc.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just curious which dealer people in the US are buying their MC-3+usb from (Markertech, Vintage King Audio, etc)? It looks like the prices are about that same $1000 so I want to go with the dealer with the best service, etc.

I purchased mine from Markertech. Wanted Black but they did not have any for immediate shipment so went with Silver. The unit was drop shipped to me from distributor. All authorized dealers should honor the same Mutec warranty. I had no problems. Ordered on a Tuesday and received unit on Friday (did go with expedited shipping). Nice solid looking unit.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

You'll find quite a difference with the VLink and the MC-3+USB. I see the Vlink has galvanic isolation, maybe just on the outputs my guess. The usb signals are a lot harder to accomplish with isolation at UAC2.0, hence the price difference between the two to begin with.

As for the dealer, the local inputs would be of benefit rather than a different country's methods. FWIW, I've bought from Markertech a few times, this included the MC-1.2, never had the need to complain about them, delivered as expected.

Great job westy on taming the drop outs :) There are methods to rip DVD-A and Blu-ray some work OK, some, well, by the time you add so much software and configure they way you want it, you may as well stick with real time recording. Which Tascam do you have? Bought a DA-3000 though, yet to start recording the SACD collection, not really interested in the PS3 method, but keen to work analog in to the Tascam to DSD64 or 96PCM, will trial either.

I have the DA-3000 Tascam.

I'm currently using a Weiss INT204 along with Mutec MC-3+ and Sforzato PMC-02 EX 10M clock feeding into DAC. Thinking of replacing both Weiss INT204 and Mutec MC-3+ with one MC-3+ USB. Has anyone made this transition of ditching a good DDC and MC-3+? If yes, what are you results?

Still hoping someone can do an A/B with the MC-3+ and Berkeley Audio Alpha USB/SPDIF converter. Would be nice to get rid of an extra box & cable it it sounds as good.

Another plus would be playing DSD files, which is a no-go with the Berkeley..

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

Still hoping someone can do an A/B with the MC-3+ and Berkeley Audio Alpha USB/SPDIF converter. Would be nice to get rid of an extra box & cable it it sounds as good.

Another plus would be playing DSD files, which is a no-go with the Berkeley..

Someone says the MC-3+ USB is superior to the BADA. See: MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - MC-3+ USB. Don't know how objective this is.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

I was/am debating between the Berkeley and Mutec 3+USB but decided on the latter because it seems to have more features I could use later on. Not sure if it sounds better but I will keep telling myself it does.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Not sure if it sounds better but I will keep telling myself it does.

Haha :-) in the same category: I just keep telling myself that Mutec will introduce a straightforward trimmed down version for the common home audiophile enthusiasts (me included). ie 1 usb input and 1 (by choice) output: aes or se or ...

When this could cut cost by 25-50% a piece many enthusiasts would be very keen to pull the trigger and (from a Mutec or even an Acousence perspective) I reckon sales would be great in the wider/new 'home enthusiast' market.

Currently mostly audiophile pioneers made the move. Based on their experience I'm surprised common enthusiasts on other hifi places haven't picked it up yet.

Personally I'm a bit hesitant to buy one due to the expert level and matching price level (which- given the quality ánd functions- seems to be very fair). So I would love to see a trimmed down version with less functions, at a lower price. Or perhaps too much wishful thinking :-)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Personally I'm a bit hesitant to buy one due to the expert level and matching price level (which- given the quality ánd functions- seems to be very fair). So I would love to see a trimmed down version with less functions, at a lower price. Or perhaps too much wishful thinking :-)

I received mine yesterday. It was very easy to set up. Basically just one menu choice to make for me. I was also glad to read in the manual that you can defeat most of the display lights during use.

Using AES into my Yggy it sounded clearly better in my headphone rig which normally uses a regular USB port and a REGEN from my CAPS-like PC. I plan to move it into my main speaker system and see if I still need the REGEN and AQJB. Would be nice to drop all of those USB "fixes".

I totally agree that a simplified version would be wonderful. USB in and AES out with perhaps optical. No need for external clock for this simplified version. I would like to buy a second one now but spending $1k was a bit much. At ~$500 it would be a no-brainer. Another suggestion would be to drop the internal SMPS and use a DC wall-wart. This would allow those of use with an LPS to use that.

This was a very nice upgrade...

BTW. Markertec has excellent service. They called me twice. First to say that they would not have stock for a few days and did I want to cancel. Second call to say it was being drop shipped.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I received mine yesterday. It was very easy to set up. Basically just one menu choice to make for me. I was also glad to read in the manual that you can defeat most of the display lights during use.

Using AES into my Yggy it sounded clearly better in my headphone rig which normally uses a regular USB port and a REGEN from my CAPS-like PC. I plan to move it into my main speaker system and see if I still need the REGEN and AQJB. Would be nice to drop all of those USB "fixes".

I totally agree that a simplified version would be wonderful. USB in and AES out with perhaps optical. No need for external clock for this simplified version. I would like to buy a second one now but spending $1k was a bit much. At ~$500 it would be a no-brainer. Another suggestion would be to drop the internal SMPS and use a DC wall-wart. This would allow those of use with an LPS to use that.

This was a very nice upgrade...

BTW. Markertec has excellent service. They called me twice. First to say that they would not have stock for a few days and did I want to cancel. Second call to say it was being drop shipped.

Excellent review! I'd love to hear back from you after you've tried the Mutec in your main rig to see if it more or less effective in a full size / full range system.

Yes, I agree. A simplified solution is very much required. There seems to be quiet a few combinations of these USB fixes - Intona, Regen, RUR. Maybe this will be the one that fits the bill for most of us - Its also a DDC which is a added bonus. I am very much interested how this work together with Yggy along with a CAPs like music server. There is at least one member (goldengate) who likes it very much with his Yggy. I also read having the Intona in front of the Mutec also might do wonders.

Anybody has the BADA and compared it with the Mutec ?

Actually there's two people stating this on that page. :)

..Mutec review posted on the Mutec website and the Mutec wins.... shocking conclusion! Just kidding. The more head-to-head comparisons the better.

Seriously, I've sort of jokingly mentioned this before, but if someone wants to send me the Mutec, I'll be happy to compare them. I would have no problem declaring the Mutec the winner if it really is. I'm not one of those that has a goofy insecure need to declare components I own to be the best in order to make me feel good about my buying decisions. I've made many missteps in this hobby and have no problem publicly admitting failure (AQ Jitterbugs come to mind).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Getting to know the Mutec...

I have my Mutec USB running in my headphone system. Easier to try different settings than in my main system where it will live soon. I am running Windows 2012 with JRiver 20 and Audiophile Optimizer feeding my Yggy via AES.

First off it sounds great both in GUI mode and in Minimal Server mode. JRMC would not launch in Core Mode. Have not figured that out yet. I was using the Mutec ASIO driver.

Punted and am now in Minimal Server mode and trying the various Mutec drivers available. Under Options I see ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, and Direct Sound. So far I have tried ASIO and WASAPI and both sound very good but different. WASAPI seems warmer.

When using ASIO I was surprised to find that the volume slider in JRMC was working. I thought that meant that is was somehow using Windows Sound and so would not be bit perfect or am I confused?

If anyone out there is using both JRMC and AO I would be interested in what your settings are...

Thanks!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Haha :-) in the same category: I just keep telling myself that Mutec will introduce a straightforward trimmed down version for the common home audiophile enthusiasts (me included). ie 1 usb input and 1 (by choice) output: aes or se or ...

When this could cut cost by 25-50% a piece many enthusiasts would be very keen to pull the trigger and (from a Mutec or even an Acousence perspective) I reckon sales would be great in the wider/new 'home enthusiast' market.

Currently mostly audiophile pioneers made the move. Based on their experience I'm surprised common enthusiasts on other hifi places haven't picked it up yet.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Taking things out it costs more (engineering, inventory et al.)

If you consider the price of a Regen, Intona, RUR plus the power supplies and the cabling, a) the cost is creeping toward the MC-3+USB perhaps exceeding it b) the usb signal is stretched over several devices which drop the available power to the DAC (if it's bus powered). There's still no clock on the input or output, and that's where the MC units have it covered.

I'm hearing sounds from really old recordings played over and over for years that are coming to the surface. For example Dark Side of the Moon (MFSL), the footsteps before Time aren't just a shuffle, you can hear the tap of the footstep first as it hits the concrete. Stephen Phillips' drumming is incredible from a performance view already, concentrate enough and there's lovely decay on cymbals with that whack or touch easily discernible.

And all the MC-3+USB does is reclock and isolate the USB and convert to AES3/S/PDIF/Optical/AES3id and with just one USB cable.

so at the end is there someone feeding his MC3 with a external linear 6,3V DC supply , and report any benefit? it is just a matter not to pollute the others component on the system with the internal SMPS power supply ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

so at the end is there someone feeding his MC3 with a external linear 6,3V DC supply , and report any benefit? it is just a matter not to pollute the others component on the system with the internal SMPS power supply ?

As I understand it the MC3+ has AC input. I actually thought about opening one up and seeing if I could bypass the AC and supply DC.

Other components:

Regarding the Mutec MC-3+ USB PSU, here's a topic over at the Tir Na HiFi forum with it opened up: Tír Na HiFi • View topic - Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock

Looks like there's a 5V meanwell SMPS inside, this one: http://www.meanwell.com/mw_search/NFM-15/NFM-15-spec.pdf

Not sure why both juanitox above and Sligolad over there mention it's 6.3V. Did you guys measure this or ask Mutec? Did Mutec modify the PSU or used some dial on it to up the voltage to 6.3V (it's specified to be adjustable between 4.5-5.5V) ?

Regarding the Mutec MC-3+ USB PSU, here's a topic over at the Tir Na HiFi forum with it opened up: Tír Na HiFi • View topic - Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock

Looks like there's a 5V meanwell SMPS inside, this one: http://www.meanwell.com/mw_search/NFM-15/NFM-15-spec.pdf

Not sure why both juanitox above and Sligolad over there mention it's 6.3V. Did you guys measure this or ask Mutec? Did Mutec modify the PSU or used some dial on it to up the voltage to 6.3V (it's specified to be adjustable between 4.5-5.5V) ?

Great link! This makes me feel very confident that I can bypass the internal PSU and use my HD Plex linear. Once I get my MC3+USB I will measure the actual voltage with my DMM. Now I am really excited about trying the Mutec.

Other components: