Rate this topic

The front panel is confusing so I would like to ask...

Can I input 24/192 PCM and get out the same? Or is it limited to 96Hz?

Well that's exactly how I use it. Audirvana is set up on my Mac to upsample whatever is not in 24/192. And the MC-3+ USB is behaving perfectly like this.

If the MC-3+USB inputs 192 PCM via [uSB] [AES3] [s/PDIF] (your choice) the output will be 192 PCM. The unit doesn't SRC, only the upstream PC/Mac/Linux/Streamer player is capable of changing sample rates.

Yeah and what SwissBear said :)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

IMG_0919.jpg

Here is a 'dark' picture of my Mutec x 2 operating at 24/192. The first is configured with an USB input. The second is getting its input on the coax.

Found this on Page 21 of manual:

"Multiplying Digital Audo Signals:

When a digital audio input has been selected as reference and one or both multiplication factors are set higher than × 1, the MC-3+USB will only output black frame signals (AES3 and S/P-DIF signals without audio content) at the audio outputs. A samplingrate conversion of the incoming digital audio signal will not be carried out!"

So only 1x settings in columns 3 & 4 for Clock Multipliers if we are outputting via s/pdif or AES.

The more you RTFM it makes more sense.... :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24299[/ATTACH]

Here is a 'dark' picture of my Mutec x 2 operating at 24/192. The first is configured with an USB input. The second is getting its input on the coax.

What is your sq impression of Mutec x 2 ? I've heard conflicting opinions.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

What is your sq impression of Mutec x 2 ? I've heard conflicting opinions.

On my side, there is absolutely nothing negative in this set-up.

To paraphrase two Audiophile 'friends' I have, I would say :

- quoting the owner of a French DAC manufacturer, re-clocking is like interposing a door on the way of noise ; when you have a double door, you tend to hear less outside noise :-).

- quoting Fujak, a German blogger : re-clocking is a highly addictive hobby ; once you have been used to it, you can never get rid of it, and you want more. 2 stages cascade is considered very good with the technology of the MC-3+ USB... I have sent back my Intona, and the only additonal device I am contemplating is a high accuracy 10 MHz clock to feed into the MC-3+ USB, when Mutec's Ref10 is available...

On my side, I have been hugely impressed by Mutec reclocking ; I have been able to appreciate the improvements in terms of sound transparency, sound presence, very precise soundstage. And two devices stacked just improved the first impression ; I would never like to get rid of one of them.

The only 'problem' I could emphasize is that this technology, like all good sound playback device, tend to restitute good recordings with a high accuracy, but also tend to reproduce bad recordings with an equaly high accuracy. If the sound engineer who has been responsible for balancing the percussions has exaggerated the level of percussions in the balance of the record, given the accuracy of the restitution, you will tend to be distracted by the accuracy of percussions during the playback.

Garbage in, garbage out :-)

But I would be interested if you can share the less positive feed-backs you have.

Thanks so much for your impressions swissbear. My choice of words may have been off. I have not heard anything negative. However, I believe I read (Fujak?)that older Mutec's yielded fairly signifcant benefits from cascading while the new model cascaded does not yield the same level of incremental improvement. It's really more of a cost/benefit question. That's why I valued your input on this matter.

On a side note, the Ref10 does sound very interesting for those who can afford the higher price tag. I would be hesitant to spend more on a converter/reclocker than on my DAC but am interested in hearing impressions when it becomes available.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Cool thread and of great interest for me as I would like to try the AES input my Yggy.

Question. I use Windows 2012R2 and JRMC. Right now my PC "speaks" to my Yggy via the Schiit WASAPI drivers.

If I hook up the Mutec MC-3+ USB then I assume that I will need new drivers for the OS to communicate with it and that my Schiit drivers will no longer have a function?

Does anyone know if the Mutec drivers work with Audiophile Optimizer in Core Mode?

Thanks!

Paul

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Cool thread and of great interest for me as I would like to try the AES input my Yggy.

Question. I use Windows 2012R2 and JRMC. Right now my PC "speaks" to my Yggy via the Schiit WASAPI drivers.

If I hook up the Mutec MC-3+ USB then I assume that I will need new drivers for the OS to communicate with it and that my Schiit drivers will no longer have a function?

Does anyone know if the Mutec drivers work with Audiophile Optimizer in Core Mode?

Thanks!

Paul

Yes, Mutec provides downloadable drivers. I would check with Mutec to see if the MC-3 + USB is compatible with Server 2012. The driver download section does not specifically list this OS. Can't say about AO. I have purchased a license (back in November) but am waiting for W10 version to be final before I install. I can also say that the Mutec works fine with Jplay in dual PC config with Roon, HQ Player, JRMC and Bughead. Within Jplay I can select three different Mutec selections (Asio, Wasapi and KS).

Edit: In looking thru my manual it lists the MS OS's supported as XP, Vista, 7,8,8.1 and 10.

The Mutec driver is compatible with Windows Server 2012R and works fine with AO.

ChrisG

Seattle, WA

The Mutec driver is compatible with Windows Server 2012R and works fine with AO.

There you go mourip. Remove the Schiit drivers for the Yggdrasil and use the Mutec ones instead. You'll find the ASIO drivers top class, compared with WASAPI. AES3 cable required. That's probably next on the list to discuss as to which one. At the moment though, am impressed with Cat5e, yup, unshielded twisted pair 25m with AES3 to RJ45 adapters. For short runs...wide ranging discussion like all cable topics.

is it possible to use the Mutec MC3 usb for movie too or it had to much delay for the sync ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / INTONA /T+A DSD8 dac / /  VFET NEMESIS amp / EMS field coil speaker

is it possible to use the Mutec MC3 usb for movie too or it had to much delay for the sync ?

The host software can sync slow or fast, I don't see why using the Mutec would be any different to any other sound source. Maybe stacked is a different story, but once all locked in, sync should be good to go.

If you're really into video, you could clock video as well as sound with a master clock system, the Mutec would be well suited.

My TV set is connected on the optical S-P/DIF input of the first Mutec. So I use it whenever I am watching TV or a video. I have hardly been able to notice the delay. But the sound of the video is very much improved by the Mutec, and voices are much clearer.

There you go mourip. Remove the Schiit drivers for the Yggdrasil and use the Mutec ones instead. You'll find the ASIO drivers top class, compared with WASAPI. AES3 cable required. That's probably next on the list to discuss as to which one. At the moment though, am impressed with Cat5e, yup, unshielded twisted pair 25m with AES3 to RJ45 adapters. For short runs...wide ranging discussion like all cable topics.

Thanks 1.5!

The cable was my next question. I had also heard somewhere that Mogami Gold AES/EBU worked well.

Is this the type of adapter you mean? TecNec DMX-3XM-CAT5 3-pin XLR Male to RJ45 Adapter

DMX-3XM-CAT5 (1).JPG

Also has anyone heard both the Mutec USB and the Berkeley USB in an apples to apples comparison? I was originally going to find a used Alpha but this seems to be very promising!

Best,

Paul

DMX-3XM-CAT5.JPG

System

The cable was my next question. I had also heard somewhere that Mogami Gold AES/EBU worked well.

I started with Mogami AES/EBU. I then upgraded to Oyaide DR/DB 510. Slight improvement. But very good cables for AES/EBU are much more expensive than good cables for BNC/Cinch.

Yes, Mutec provides downloadable drivers. I would check with Mutec to see if the MC-3 + USB is compatible with Server 2012. The driver download section does not specifically list this OS. Can't say about AO. I have purchased a license (back in November) but am waiting for W10 version to be final before I install. I can also say that the Mutec works fine with Jplay in dual PC config with Roon, HQ Player, JRMC and Bughead. Within Jplay I can select three different Mutec selections (Asio, Wasapi and KS).

Edit: In looking thru my manual it lists the MS OS's supported as XP, Vista, 7,8,8.1 and 10.

Thanks! Good news...

System

Thanks 1.5!

Is this the type of adapter you mean? TecNec DMX-3XM-CAT5 3-pin XLR Male to RJ45 Adapter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24305[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]24306[/ATTACH]

Also has anyone heard both the Mutec USB and the Berkeley USB in an apples to apples comparison? I was originally going to find a used Alpha but this seems to be very promising!

Best,

Paul

Yes, that's them. CAT5e has plenty of bandwidth for AES3, great for long runs.

Does it also output in usb?

Yes, but there is just one USB port. So if you input via toslink or S-P/DIF, you can output in USB.

Hi Julian,

the MC3+ USB will come at a premium price - for a converter. Once you add a rather cheapish external 10M clock source, e. g. a used Morion MV89a, it is going to be a game changer. Since users on CA seem to be more interested in converters than they are in studio clocks, Mutec certainly have taken the right marketing decision targeting the audiophile market with a combination of their MC3+ (studio clock, reclocker) and the new MC1.2 (converter) in just one box.

Hi Guys,

just stumbled upon my own predictions made almost a year ago...

Well, I was certainly wrong about the 10M business. Since I had the chance to test the MC3+ USB for a week I must say that it is definitely an improvement over the "classic" model, as far as the reclocking is concerned. The internal clocking is of even better quality, thus your cheapo DIY 10M clock is unlikely to improve anything. My MV89a, which I so far considered a good build, could not do a thing (and I liked that one better than the rather expensive Antelope 10M I checked out at a friend's studio).

So the new MC3+ USB is really a very, very good new product.

But then a friend from Germany came over last weekend and showed off his new Acousense AFI-USB, a piece of gear that also works as a converter and does some sort of reclocking. Wow, if anything is a game changer, that thing is. It is 50% more expensive than the new Mutec, though. Reclocking apparently has become a bit of a German speciality.

progear, thanks for that confirmation. is there any preferred type for the input? I can do AES or BNC.