IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Sorry to throw in another question but I didnt' want to start another thread. Is the MC-3+ the same as the MC3+ USB excpept for the USB input? In other words are the SPDIF inputs, processing, output, etc on both models the same or is the MC3+ USB an improvement on all inputs?

Apologies if this question is a little O/T but I was wondering if anybody has compared the Puc2 Lite to the Mutec MC-3+ USB? I think the chances on first hand experience are slim so does anybody just have any thoughts? I've had the Puc2 Lite bookmarked as another converter/reclocker with good reviews - and it is half the price so I'm wondering if its on par with the Mutec?

I had a similar thought, but it seemed rather logical when it comes to clocks, that the more expensive solution would be the best, at least in this case. Even though both companies deal with recording/pro-audio equipment...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I agree - in all the Puc2 info I've read I've never seen mention of its clock or reclocking abilities - that is a big focus with the Mutec. However the Puc2 Lite has gotten some pretty raving reviews on the forums. Here is an article that put it on my radar: Yellowtec PUC2 Lite USB Converter

I guess my cheap side was wondering if I could get the same (or close) performance to the Mutec in a $500 cheaper Puc2 since strictly USB to AES would suit me fine. But deep down I know the Mutec should be better - and I'm still leaning towards incorporating the MC3+ USB. The additional in/out connections sure make it more flexible and allows for more tweaking in configuring your rig. And there is no doubt as to the quality of the clock/reclocking in the Mutec.

Just received Mutec MC-3+ USB this afternoon. I have it set up to go thru AES connection. First impression is very positive. Improvement over stock Yggy and the low cost "Breeze". What has surprised me is that the sq seems more liquid/smoother while retaining the Yggy's detail. Will fool around some more and will give further impressions early next week.

If you don't mind me asking, what interface are you using in your server to feed the Mutec?

For my initial impressions it was a direct hookup between computer USB and Mutec without any USB gadgets (which I have but decided not to use). USB cable is relatively inexpensive Supra.

Thanks - did you mean the motherboard USB or are you using a PCIe USB card of some type?

Motherboard (Asus Sabertooth) USB from my Puget Sound Serenity Pro . I also have a CAPS pipeline with SOTM USB Card but have not tried that combo yet. Will also try Mutec with some of the USB gadgets (Regen and Wyred Recovery) when I have some more time.

Very interesting... The CAPS/SOTM vs the Serenity Pro would indeed be a neat comparison with the Mutec.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies if the following question is rehashing things a bit but I tend to go over this stuff in my head quite a bit. Is the Mutec MC-3+ USB any better suited to process via SPDIF vs USB? From what I've read it is all around superior to the standard MC-3+ but given a server that could be built with either SPDIF or USB output would the Mutec theoretically handle one better over the other?

I have several builds and solutions in mind for a new source so any opinions on this question would help steer me towards what type output to go with first given I'm just about 100% committed to also adding the MC-3+ USB. Thanks!

I received mine yesterday. It was very easy to set up. Basically just one menu choice to make for me. I was also glad to read in the manual that you can defeat most of the display lights during use.

Using AES into my Yggy it sounded clearly better in my headphone rig which normally uses a regular USB port and a REGEN from my CAPS-like PC. I plan to move it into my main speaker system and see if I still need the REGEN and AQJB. Would be nice to drop all of those USB "fixes".

I totally agree that a simplified version would be wonderful. USB in and AES out with perhaps optical. No need for external clock for this simplified version. I would like to buy a second one now but spending $1k was a bit much. At ~$500 it would be a no-brainer. Another suggestion would be to drop the internal SMPS and use a DC wall-wart. This would allow those of use with an LPS to use that.

This was a very nice upgrade...

BTW. Markertec has excellent service. They called me twice. First to say that they would not have stock for a few days and did I want to cancel. Second call to say it was being drop shipped.

Excellent review! I'd love to hear back from you after you've tried the Mutec in your main rig to see if it more or less effective in a full size / full range system.

I'm still in the research phase for upgrading my source, but I'm already sold on sending whatever I select to the MC-3+ USB then on to the Schiit Yggy via AES. I'm not interested in any native DSD recordings and selected the Yggy for its filter so I'll stay away from any software upsampling. This makes USB out of my source less important I believe. Can anybody theorize wether an old school setup like a Lynx AES PCIe card into the Mutec could be better than a well implemented USB source (like the upcoming Microrendu)? Is there a sound quality benefit to sending USB to the Mutec? I figured since I'm only planning on playing up to 192 PCM that I could skip USB altogether but still take advantage of the reclocking from the Mutec.

I don't have the same experience as One and a half with PCIe Cards.

The use of a Lynx AES PCIe has not only been very easy but also very fruitful for me.

The AES output level hasn't been an issue and the latest 64bit ASIO driver has subjectively brought a significant improvement over the previous 32Bit one.

One of the interesting aspect of the Lynx Card is the external clock input.

I have been using this with a master clock also linked to my Esoteric DAC.

Anyone thinking clocking/reclocking matters (and I believe there might be a few in this thread) will see the interest in this.

Now I'm thinking about using a Mutec to replace the master clock. With the MC-3+ USB that would offer 3 possibilities :

1 Using the Mutec to reclock the AES output of the PCIe card

2 Using the Mutec as a master clock for the PCIe Card and the DAC

3 Using the USB input of the Mutec and AES + a clock connections to the DAC

With the coming Mutec 10M clock, this should be even more interesting...

The only regret is that the Mutec doesn't handle Dual AES, which is currently what produces the best results between the PCIe and The Esoteric DAC.

That should put the option 2 as the best, but who knows...

Which Lynx are you using? The E22 software (mixer) appears much simpler than the AES16e.

I use the AES16e

The mixer display is impressive as it shows 2X8 channels but it's pretty simple to use when you use only 2 digital outputs...

Thanks - the E22 only offers two channels but is a newer design, seems pretty solid. However I have no experience using master clocks so have little knowledge. If my DAC does not have a master clock input how would the E22 (or AES16e) best be connected to the Mutec MC-3+ USB? Would the Mutec just act as a reclocker as you your #1 scenario or can the master clock still be used just between it and the Lynx (not the DAC)?

Just taken delivery of MC-3+USB, very interesting (positive) change in the sound of my set up. Very revealing and quite a bit more detail. A different sound though, needs a little getting used.

As were talking clocking just now- I was told a while ago that clocks need a little time to become stable from switch on. Is this an old wives tale or are we leaving these clocks switched on 24/7?

Please share the details of your system, what source and DAC did you add the Mutec to?