IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

• 2 weeks later...

so at the end is there someone feeding his MC3 with a external linear 6,3V DC supply , and report any benefit? it is just a matter not to pollute the others component on the system with the internal SMPS power supply ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

something make me curious , the MC3 USB can run from his own 1GhZ 1PS clock and some use them with 10MHZ external clock how can an external clock + clock wire length can be more precise than the dedicated internal clock with short path .

i mean just using it for playing usb input ( not for synchro clocking external source)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

maybe is an answer but i would like to hear the engineer side: is a super external clock with 20 inches of wire is more stable than a 1ps internal clock ?

Allan Deviation (and similar) are statistics used to measure clocks (it is a kind of average which takes into account the no clock is stable in the sense that has a mean value). Allan Deviation shows the average deviation depending on the rate the frequency is measured:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24580[/ATTACH]

source: http://www.ko4bb.com/Timing/FAQ-1.php

For the relation of phase noise and Allan deviation see eg. Phase noise & friends in
http://rubiola.org/pdf-slides/2006T-desy-noise.pdf

All that above to better understand some measurement I've done:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24581[/ATTACH]

A GPS diciplined nice OCXO (KS-24361)is shown at the lowest trace - it is the most precise clock shown here.

The middle trace shows the word clock out of a MC-3+ disciplined by the GPS-OXO - it is less precise for the simple reason that the MC-3+ internal electronics do add some jitter.

The top trace shows the word clock out of a that MC-3+ w/o external reference - it is less precise (and it is less stable - which is less important for audio).

Really?

I've tested two OCXOs with quite the same phase noise close to the carrier. The one with lower "noise floor" gives better sound quality.

No explaination yet... Is the high frequency phase noise mirrored into the audio band?

Have a look at phase noise to time jitter converters - the entire curve contributes...

Sorry for the bunch of technical stuff - you have asek for ,-)

cheers

Ulli

that's what i like, more fact less maybe :)

so now the audiofool (mine) reaction to this revelations , what external 10MhZ clock would do the task ( not costing 4x times the price of the MC3 )

Does anyone know if the Mutec requires power on the usb input? I have a split Lightspeed usb cable so I can choose to not use the power line if the Mutec does not need it. If the Mutec does not need the power, has anyone compared with and without power on the usb?

yes it needs the 5V to be seen by the computer

cheers

don't surprise me , the bekerley is made for one task USB TO Spdif where the Mutec is more a " professional " use with a lot of functions ( reclocker, master clock , input clock , DSD /PCM converter, SPdif inputs etc..)

but the more important for me is that the berkeley has a big linear power supply where the Mutec has a budget SMPS.

feed the Mutec MC3 with a fine linear supply will help not to re-inject HF power noise in all the system..

Have you actually tried to bypass the internal smps? The mod looks pretty easy so I intend to try this with my HDPlex linear power supply once I get the Mutec delivered

i will do soon , i don't expect the MC3 to work better with it as the Mutec engineers must know their job better than me. but what i'm sure is that every times i plug a Smps power supply ( TV, computer,etc..) in the same power line than the other components i get worst sound , put your computer outside and you will have ground loops on the USB link .

no free lunch again . the ideal would be feeding all the components with linear supply and all on the same power outlet ..

today i have swap the MC3 SMPS for a home made linear supply and yes it really brings something don't ask me to explain what or why .. . but i will not go back.

just for info the MC3+USB as 6,2VDC 600MA .

You must be right, we are weird enough to buy their stuff and believe they improve our sources :-)

Pro audio and Pro people make bad recordings too..

the Mutec Mc3 don't change crap records into gold but you can have a new listening to them discovering hidden details .. even if sometimes it sounds even worst with them..

i don't know if the PS mod get the MC3 better by itself or if i just get a less polluted supply for the rest of the system..

• 4 weeks later...
Just thought I would post my impressions of the 3+. In a nutshell the 3+ added a lot of clarity to my system. The music has a transparency to it that I have never experienced before in my system. I know to some people this is a great thing but I am not so sure. I prefer a slightly warmer, more organic sound. Some would say I am more of a tube guy. With the 3+ the music is perhaps too clear that I feel like a bit of the soul is removed. I am not sure if that makes any sense at all but perhaps the distortion removed by the 3+ may have also removed the "organicness" that I like. Maybe I am nuts. Dont get me wrong, I think the 3+ is doing its job quite well but maybe I actually like jitter and distortion. LOL! I will continue to let the 3+ break in and see if anything changes.

i have the same feeling the first week with the Mutec , because my brain was used with a sounds and the new listening that brings the MC3 was somehow disturbing , like i didn't recognize my disc .

now i can't imagine not using it ..

• 2 weeks later...

i have done this mode , with a new regulator add close to power pin and it sounds good now but it sounded good too before the DC power supply mod . So i can't recommend it for sure . but it does no harm ( except for the guarantee ! )

• 3 weeks later...
I would love to know that too. I have become interested in the Mutec ( late to the party ) and that is now the big question in my mind.

Wish I could buy one of those at Musicians Friend where I have a gift certificate just waiting to be spent...

i have received the Mircorrendu to use with my MC3 usb , and it's a revelation , all sounds more real and cleaner too, no going back to the MC3 directlty plug to my macmini.